• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone use a pole anchor?

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally, that has 2 strikes against it, for me. I don't use one, but I wouldn't consider it because 1) it would stick into the seating on the swim deck, and 2), I would be concerned about the stresses in that area, and on the table leg mount itself.

At the very least, it puts an "anchor" in the way of at least one spot to sit, which means I'd be paying $200 for that loss. Deal breaker. Everyone is different, but that's my quick take on it

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For that kind of money I’d get a tried and true anchor instead, like a box anchor.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Myself: for that application, a Slide Anchor... Edited to add: you can use it forward, aft, either side.

But basically agree with the above. One point for the idea, tho...

Last edited:

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a stainless screw in pole with the provided bungee type rope at the rear. Works great at sandbars, etc. Just make sure you screw her down deep....:) Bear Island outside Emerald Isle has some serious currents....
Sandshark is 1 brand, but there are many....

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Went out with a friend who uses a sand shark.
Worked well, but the set up and tear down definitely took some time.

Last edited:

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If there's no wake no current you could get away with it, mind you it's a 4-6k lbs boat you trusting to a spyke, go and buy an actual anchor I was wake boat owners and Yamaha owner dealing with it all day at the lake, not to mention if a pop-up storm passes by, adios to your boat

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’d pass, I want some play in the anchor.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a 4' fiberglass soil probe in the shallows at the river sandbar. @$35 and easy to use, holds great for my conditions. Not sure I would use that hard transom mount though.

Soil Probe.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve used a shore spike when beaching my boat for many years now. Easy to place and recover with a built in hammer. The only problem I’ve had with it is nearby boaters also tying off to it. I don’t mind sharing but when I want to leave, I leave and don’t feel obligated to let anyone know that I’m detaching their lines from my shore spike (most don’t ever ask or tell me they are tying off to it).

When off shore I use a box anchor, never a problem with it.

IMG_3287.png

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only problem I’ve had with it is nearby boaters also tying off to it. I don’t mind sharing but when I want to leave, I leave and don’t feel obligated to let anyone know that I’m detaching their lines from my shore spike (most don’t ever ask or tell me they are tying off to it).
I can imagine the math going on in their heads... "I don't wanna break out my own anchor, I'll just hook up to this handy one that somebody left here, no reason to check if it's anyone around me" WTF?

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Myself: for that application, a Slide Anchor... Edited to add: you can use it forward, aft, either side.

But basically agree with the above. One point for the idea, tho...
Same here. I use anchor out the front and the sand spike out the back to the beach. Been working for years.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can imagine the math going on in their heads... "I don't wanna break out my own anchor, I'll just hook up to this handy one that somebody left here, no reason to check if it's anyone around me" WTF?
I don’t think any math calculations are being done. In those times when someone hooked up to my shore spike my boat was already beached in front of it and hooked up to it, clearly I owned / brought and set it up. One time a guy sent over a girl in a bikini to ask if they could tie off to it but noone ever asks where I got it, what it costs, etc.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don’t think any math calculations are being done. In those times when someone hooked up to my shore spike my boat was already beached in front of it and hooked up to it, clearly I owned / brought and set it up. One time a guy sent over a girl in a bikini to ask if they could tie off to it but noone ever asks where I got it, what it costs, etc.
I could see your spike out there and 50 boats ties up to it in a circle.