• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Eastern TN

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Does anybody live around Norris Lake, specifically New Tazewell, TN. Moving down there in a few years and my property is literally near the bottom of a mountain, it's a long steep climb to get back to highway 33 up and down hill. Was wondering what the winter weather is like, snow and ice wise? Any help is appreciated, TIA

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi @Crob83,
I'm from the east TN area. Generally in the winter we don't get snow, only at the highest elevations but maybe a half inch or so if we're lucky. The ice is the bigger issue, it still gets really cold in the winter and the sun doesn't always get down into those hollers (if you don't know what a holler is, you will soon enough!)

Norris is a great lake, grew up boating on that lake. Big and beautiful, I think you'll love it.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi @Crob83,
I'm from the east TN area. Generally in the winter we don't get snow, only at the highest elevations but maybe a half inch or so if we're lucky. The ice is the bigger issue, it still gets really cold in the winter and the sun doesn't always get down into those hollers (if you don't know what a holler is, you will soon enough!)

Norris is a great lake, grew up boating on that lake. Big and beautiful, I think you'll love it.
Thanks for responding I've done a lot of research, I live in Indiana so figured it was a little milder but obviously still some winter weather. If I have to drive to Knoxville to work I want to be able to make it...lol

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah I've got some family in Westfield, just north of Indy. They got a really heavy snow this year. Temps here aren't quite as cold, but the humidity still makes the winters feel pretty chilly (yep, it works both ways!). But yeah in general we might get a couple days of light snow or sleet, but not much else. About every 5 to 10 years we'll get a really good, heavy snow. When are you guys making the move? My wife and I both have family in Knoxville, if you ever need to know anything just reach out.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah I've got some family in Westfield, just north of Indy. They got a really heavy snow this year. Temps here aren't quite as cold, but the humidity still makes the winters feel pretty chilly (yep, it works both ways!). But yeah in general we might get a couple days of light snow or sleet, but not much else. About every 5 to 10 years we'll get a really good, heavy snow. When are you guys making the move? My wife and I both have family in Knoxville, if you ever need to know anything just reach out.
Haha small world I love in Fishers about 10 min from Westfield. I'm not sure now, probably around 4-5 years, I just got a promotion and work for a major pharmaceutical company that pays very well. Will definitely be coming down frequently in the summers the lakes in IN suck

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Haha small world I love in Fishers about 10 min from Westfield. I'm not sure now, probably around 4-5 years, I just got a promotion and work for a major pharmaceutical company that pays very well. Will definitely be coming down frequently in the summers the lakes in IN suck
That's crazy! My wife and I moved up there just last year to help some family, spent a year there, and then came back to Tennessee. Fishers/Carmel/Westfield are REALLY nice areas, but we missed home for sure. The closest lake while we were there was Morse Reservoir. We never got to get out on it. My cousin and her husband have a family home on Diamond Lake in Michigan. From the pics I've seen it's absolutely beautiful, clear water, although the lake itself is really small, maybe 170 acres. Most of the lakes we're used to are over 30,000 acres, but again Diamond is just beautiful.

When we made the trip back and forth, GPS always said to go through Nashville; we always go through Knoxville though. It's just a little bit longer but not nearly the traffic issues that Nashville sees and since we have family in Knoxville it always make sense in case there's a mechanical issue on the road.