• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 10th to 15th 2017

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess @Majorsmackdown is too busy with first week of school :D
That's next week. Ha. This week was shasta lake Northern California.

I hate the thought of someone loosing their ski, passport etc.. but, ya - I'm too far away for a recovery mission.

I'm glad Hana liked the sting ray experience - probably remember it the rest of her life.

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Full Disclaimer: In my trilogy I cast serious doubts about the value of the trip, but man it did feel very good today to be the person with cheapest house in the neighborhood, yet the coolest vacation.
Its not all about the possessions, but the experiences..................and the killer stories that go with them!

Miss you guys!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
One humble request. I might have had Lady Luck guiding me on my first trip to Bimini and getting me back safely in one piece. I don't expect the same kind of luck for the next trip. What all can I learn and absorb :bookworm: during these cold winter months that are set to come by so that I am better prepared for next years trip ? I am religiously boating every weekend to get better at my skills. Thanks for your time and input.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One humble request. I might have had Lady Luck guiding me on my first trip to Bimini and getting me back safely in one piece. I don't expect the same kind of luck for the next trip. What all can I learn and absorb :bookworm: during these cold winter months that are set to come by so that I am better prepared for next years trip ? I am religiously boating every weekend to get better at my skills. Thanks for your time and input.
Amar, you are more knowledgeable on the subject than most. Start with what went wrong on the 2017 crossing and go from there. For example, at some point, we'll have to make some type of bracket to hold the center window in place when the hull flexes open at the mid-point. Right? Then, start looking at how you want to securely mount the important pieces of equipment like a gps plotter, and a fixed vhf radio. Although I have a fixed vhf, I find that the portable (floating) vhf with a head-set is really convenient and makes it easier to hear the boats that are close to you; I just clip my HX870 to my life vest.
upload_2017-8-29_19-8-33.png

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is an excellent reminder of how forceful Mother Nature is with mankinds crafts and more importantly how quickly things change. Act quickly and get yourself and crew mates to safety BEFORE you lose any chance to do so. Have a plan AHEAD of disaster....dont stand there shell shocked--BE PREPARED for the worst case scenario.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Amar, you are more knowledgeable on the subject than most. Start with what went wrong on the 2017 crossing and go from there. For example, at some point, we'll have to make some type of bracket to hold the center window in place when the hull flexes open at the mid-point. Right? Then, start looking at how you want to securely mount the important pieces of equipment like a gps plotter, and a fixed vhf radio. Although I have a fixed vhf, I find that the portable (floating) vhf with a head-set is really convenient and makes it easier to hear the boats that are close to you; I just clip my HX870 to my life vest.
View attachment 63371
Thanks @MrMoose . I have both a fixed VHF and a portable VHF. I also found the portable one more convenient to use than the fixed one. Next year my wife and kids also want to do the crossing. So I cannot leave anything to chance. For 2017 I learnt a bit about electronics (that I am comfortable enough in replacing/upgrading them) and a little bit about the engines (that I can do regular basic maintenance). For 2018 I plan to dig deep into the understandings of the engines and anything that requires on the spot troubleshooting if stranded in the ocean. This year crossing taught me that when things get rough it is every boat for itself as everyone is 100% occupied in keeping their boat running.

I already have a few items on my plate that I plan to accomplish this winter
1. Install trim tabs
2. Research and Experiment with peanut packing material for shock absorption . My daughter complains that it hurts her butt a lot whenever the boat jumps over a big wave. I want to put in an extra layer of cushioning over the seats so that she can feel the jump but not the shock. If there is something like that in the market, well and good. Saves me time to do something useful.
3. Lubricate the throttle cables as well as the internal bearings ( I saw links on how to do them in the forum ) and maybe remove, clean and install the impellers back just to get more comfortable with the engines.
4. Go Pro mounts on the tower as well as at the front of the boat to capture everything. My videos this year sucks big time.
5. Spend more time in the swimming pool and learn to swim properly :) . This was a big drawback for me in 2017 and something I plan to rectify for 2018.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That is an excellent reminder of how forceful Mother Nature is with mankinds crafts and more importantly how quickly things change. Act quickly and get yourself and crew mates to safety BEFORE you lose any chance to do so. Have a plan AHEAD of disaster....dont stand there shell shocked--BE PREPARED for the worst case scenario.
And don't ever be close to the rocks. That yammie took quite a beating on the rocks.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @MrMoose . I have both a fixed VHF and a portable VHF. I also found the portable one more convenient to use than the fixed one. Next year my wife and kids also want to do the crossing. So I cannot leave anything to chance. For 2017 I learnt a bit about electronics (that I am comfortable enough in replacing/upgrading them) and a little bit about the engines (that I can do regular basic maintenance). For 2018 I plan to dig deep into the understandings of the engines and anything that requires on the spot troubleshooting if stranded in the ocean. This year crossing taught me that when things get rough it is every boat for itself as everyone is 100% occupied in keeping their boat running.

I already have a few items on my plate that I plan to accomplish this winter
1. Install trim tabs
2. Research and Experiment with peanut packing material for shock absorption . My daughter complains that it hurts her butt a lot whenever the boat jumps over a big wave. I want to put in an extra layer of cushioning over the seats so that she can feel the jump but not the shock. If there is something like that in the market, well and good. Saves me time to do something useful.
3. Lubricate the throttle cables as well as the internal bearings ( I saw links on how to do them in the forum ) and maybe remove, clean and install the impellers back just to get more comfortable with the engines.
4. Go Pro mounts on the tower as well as at the front of the boat to capture everything. My videos this year sucks big time.
5. Spend more time in the swimming pool and learn to swim properly :) . This was a big drawback for me in 2017 and something I plan to rectify for 2018.
Sounds like you have a plan!
As far as cushioning butts, please don't even think of packing materials, it would be a mess. Bean bags are the way to go - tried and true, there are several threads here including this:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/boat-bean-bag-recommendation.15150/#post-261511
@tim h has had some good suggestions in that department and my wife and youngest daughter really enjoyed their (cushy) ride in his boat.

I don't recall you having a lot of damage of any kind during the trip, did I miss anything?

As you know, my boat has had a few failures and I felt like a patented idiot - mostly for being complacent in thinking just because things are new from the factory I don't need to worry!... boy, was I wrong!
So - there is one lesson.

What is interesting is - of all my aftermarket upgrades/mods I have installed in my boat - if you look at the list below in my signature - I had zero damage to any of those items. No damage. Not a loose screw, not a loose wire connection, not a broken ANYTHING.
An interesting fact here: all of those mods were personally installed by ME.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

This year - for the first time in my life - I had a brand new boat. I had it in rough water a couple of times and just thought: "well, it is all new, what can possibly happen, right?". I blew it, big time, by being complacent like that!
(I must say though, some of the damage like the fallen tower I could not have predicted, and had no reason to suspect a bad design, at the time.)

Anyway, I think you are one of those people that will make the next year group crossing so much stronger!
It was such a pleasure for me to cruise along you on the way back.

Let me know if I can help with anything. Some of my mods like trim tabs did not get very good/well organized write ups, so I'd be happy to put something together or talk over the phone about the details. Same with chartplotter, ridesteady, secondary bilge pump etc, although I think you already have most of the mods required.

--

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sounds like you have a plan!
As far as cushioning butts, please don't even think of packing materials, it would be a mess. Bean bags are the way to go - tried and true, there are several threads here including this:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/boat-bean-bag-recommendation.15150/#post-261511
@tim h has had some good suggestions in that department and my wife and youngest daughter really enjoyed their (cushy) ride in his boat.

I don't recall you having a lot of damage of any kind during the trip, did I miss anything?

As you know, my boat has had a few failures and I felt like a patented idiot - mostly for being complacent in thinking just because things are new from the factory I don't need to worry!... boy, was I wrong!
So - there is one lesson.

What is interesting is - of all my aftermarket upgrades/mods I have installed in my boat - if you look at the list below in my signature - I had zero damage to any of those items. No damage. Not a loose screw, not a loose wire connection, not a broken ANYTHING.
An interesting fact here: all of those mods were personally installed by ME.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

This year - for the first time in my life - I had a brand new boat. I had it in rough water a couple of times and just thought: "well, it is all new, what can possibly happen, right?". I blew it, big time, by being complacent like that!
(I must say though, some of the damage like the fallen tower I could not have predicted, and had no reason to suspect a bad design, at the time.)

Anyway, I think you are one of those people that will make the next year group crossing so much stronger!
It was such a pleasure for me to cruise along you on the way back.

Let me know if I can help with anything. Some of my mods like trim tabs did not get very good/well organized write ups, so I'd be happy to put something together or talk over the phone about the details. Same with chartplotter, ridesteady, secondary bilge pump etc, although I think you already have most of the mods required.

--
Thank you @swatski It was my pleasure cruising with you and trying to keep up with your boat. All thru the return trip I was wondering how smooth your ride was while my boat was taking on quite a few jumps. Just shows that I have a lot of learning to do. My boat had a shattered center glass panel , a few loose screws and speakers damage but otherwise was in very good shape throughout the trip. You are 100% correct in the fact that nothing beats self installation of mods. It is the main reason why I ask a lot of questions as I want to do things myself and get to know my boat better. I will definitely get in touch with you once I plan to install the trim tabs. I appreciate the offer of help. And thanks for the bean bags info. I definitely will get them and test it out.

Best
Amar

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My daughter is working on "thank you project" for her kindergarten assignment. And it got me thinking whom outside my family I will be thankful this year!!!!!!!

Would that maybe be the 2017 Bimini Fleet for the unforgettable memories ?

7 more months, but who is counting right ? ;)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, the Bimini Toy Drive is running short on toys this year. It is too late to ship anything so they are requesting PayPal contributions to toys that will be purchased locally. The Vander Werf's are paying for the fuel, maintenance and customs and immigration fees to deliver these toys to Bimini. I imagine those costs are in the low thousands on their own. I chipped in $100. Lets help them if we can.

The distribution boxes are being picked up and the toys are inventoried. They are ready to head to the boat! We have a big shopping trip planned for tomorrow since we did not meet our goal of 500 toys. We will need to purchase about 250 toys. At $5-10 per kid - that’s $1250-2500. We’ve been overwhelmed with the generosity of monetary donations - we have received an astounding $1375.00! Can we make it to $2000? This makes an average of 8.00 per child.

Monetary donations are tax deductible - use the Friends and Family option on PayPal and send to BiminiToyDrive@gmail.com

The boat leaves Friday! Distribution is Saturday. We'll be bringing the drone and a few extra helpers for photos. Can't wait to share them with you all!