• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine cut out while cruising [Update 1: broken timing chain] [Update 2: Yamaha claim approved]

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yes I did. They are a good shop, honest and very knowledgeable. I trust Andy the tech there without question.

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with them, it's hard to find honest dealer's. I've been working with Greg. Seems like a good guy, helped me troubleshoot over the phone before I brought it in.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah Greg is good too, he has been there for ever like Andy, great shop that actually knows what they are doing

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear the confirmation of this. Hope that they step up. Its one issue, and you're just 1 owner, but in the long run for every broken timing chain there's going to be 10 people who learn about it and never consider Yamaha boats. And theres an ever increasing number of bad timing chains....

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
UPDATE (8/15/16): Yamaha has recognized this as a 'known issue' and will be covering the repair. New parts (new block, head, etc) are on order and they will be upgrading to the 2016 timing chain and sprocket. 2-3 weeks repair

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is awesome news. I just found out my engine build date is 9/15 so it has the newer (16) timing chain setup.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
UPDATE (8/15/16): Yamaha has recognized this as a 'known issue' and will be covering the repair. New parts (new block, head, etc) are on order and they will be upgrading to the 2016 timing chain and sprocket. 2-3 weeks repair

woohoo! Nice they are also giving you the 2016 upgraded components. You should be set then!

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
woohoo! Nice they are also giving you the 2016 upgraded components. You should be set then!
They're pretty much replacing the whole motor, but as the tech explained it to me Yamaha sends parts individually rather than just sending a new create motor.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's reassuring to hear that Yamaha is stepping up, even though you don't have YES warranty. 50 hours is nothing on these engines and it should not be failing that early on. I could see it being several hundreds of hours but not 50. Glad you'll be taken care of and hopefully back on the water before the season starts to dwindle down.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sucks to read this thread, however, glad Yamaha is taking care of it. Sounds like you could be back on the water before the season ends.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The timing chain part was replaced in all 1.8l engines produced after 07/15. So, for example, a boat made in 10/15 would have the new part.
brother swatski, how do I know the production date on my engines?
Bought mine 11/15, so would guess I'm gtg, but who likes to guess with something like this.
The engine plates/stickers on top of the engines have a bunch of numbers, but no obvious date.
No surprise, what must be the serial numbers are 1 up from the other.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought mine 11/15, so would guess I'm gtg, but who likes to guess with something like this.
The engine plates/stickers on top of the engines have a bunch of numbers, but no obvious date.
@Glen Not the best shot, just a guide:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you maybe close, but who knows. I seem to be close, too, mine was purchased as a 2016 AR240 last month with the production date (on the engine) of 10/15. Sure they crank them out in batches, so even significant discrepancies between engine production date, boat assembly and purchase are expected.

I wonder if there is a way for a dealer to ascertain the exact origination of that part in any given batch of engines, short of visual inspection/ opening up the head.

--

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like others, glad to hear Yamaha is stepping up to the plate on this. . . . . they must be reading these threads. = )

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glen I think there are other ways to tell, the intake manifold has been changed back and forth around the same time as the timing chain parts upgrade. I'll look into this tonight, I had it pulled up at some point.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
pre 15 TC (3/4 link)

Upgraded 15 (4/5 link)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It may be premature to consider an update to the 2016 chain as a cure all, anyway. If the cause of the failure is a new/different chain manufacturer, which has been suggested, what if that same company is making the 2016 chain?

The official answer will probably never be known, but let's not forget there are several parts that physically touch the chain, the chain guides, etc. which may be responsible.

--

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great to hear that Yamaha steps up to the plate and helps with this. My personal brand preferences and buying always boils down to customer service. If a company shows me that I matter because I purchased their product over a competitor, they have me for life. And they also wind up with a field salesperson to people whom I meet and speak with. Not all companies realize the importance of keeping their existing customers happy in order to build their future customer base. Hope you're back on the water soon!