• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine cut out while cruising [Update 1: broken timing chain] [Update 2: Yamaha claim approved]

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I spoke to a tech at the dealer. In addition to checking the connections, fuses, switches, he had me pull the key ignition (remove 4 screws on dash) and check the connections for power lead. So far everything checks out. On my way to my local auto parts store to have both batteries load tested..hopefully I come back with an answer.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the video, sounds like the batteries are dead.

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welp, it appears worst fears have been realized. I had both batteries tested at my local auto parts store and they both are healthy. Next, I bought a spark tester to rule out the possibility of faulty switches/electrical issues. Cylinders one and 2 had spark. Here's where my stomach sank. I threw my compression tester into cylinder #1 while the spark was out .... 0 psi compression. Check cylinder #2, 0 psi compression. So it looks like I am either seized or the timing chain has broken.

The boat has less than 50 hrs on it. I bought it on consignment from my local yamaha dealer so I do not have the YES. When I purchased the boat (a month ago) it read 150 psi compression on each cylinder..What do I do? Do I try to retro purchase YES? Take it to the dealer and cross my fingers?

Shit.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very sorry to hear that is the problem. 3 years and 50 hours is a young engine.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe your compression tester is not sealing properly? I assume you got good readings on the other cylinders?

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
God I hope so. I just bought the compression tester it so it may not be sealing correctly. We used the dealer's tester when I tested it the first time. I stopped testing after cylinder #2 out of fear of doing further damage

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go try it on your lawn mower! I bet it's not reading properly. Fingers crossed man!

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hire a marine tech to remove the top cover, or do it yourself and check the timing chain. If it snapped or jumped you bent all the valves already. This happened on my Porsche and the top end will need a rebuild. Hi high compression engines are usually interference.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hire a marine tech to remove the top cover, or do it yourself and check the timing chain. If it snapped or jumped you bent all the valves already. This happened on my Porsche and the top end will need a rebuild. Hi high compression engines are usually interference.
I have had the same experience with my 968. Hopefully the Yamaha repair is less expensive than the Porsche version. My understanding is that the 1.8 is an interference engine.

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So sorry to hear about your boat. Never heard of a battery or 2 going bad( or dead) cruising at 30 mph. Hard to believe a timing chain would break at 50 hrs, but I've read about the issues. No compression is not good. Has Yamaha addressed this at all? Have they fixed the problem.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No one wants to touch, much less admit, there's a problem with timing chains. you can Google it, find it with skis, boats, all years, different models... I admit,I wish I bought the YES just to know I'm covered in case my 1.8 shits the bed.:(

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I posted some good info I dug up on this issue and posted it in @Bruce thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/have-you-had-a-1-8-timing-chain-failure-was-it-in-warranty-and-how-has-yamaha-handled-it.10799/#post-184693. It shows there was indeed a change to 2016 engines for the timing chain (wider), crankshaft, sprockets (wider for new chain) and other related parts. There is also an upgrade kit you can buy if you have an 2015 or older model 1.8 L.

The reality is there is an issue for earlier engines but how big or widespread in the grand scheme is hard to judge because we don't know how many owners bought boats around the world and of those owners how many had issues. Even if you use this site as a gauge with 5000 members, some being bots I suppose, that's still a small handful that have had issues. I wouldn't freak out but I would inspect my timing chain from time to time if I had an older model. Heck I may do it with my 2016 just to make sure the newer upgraded hardware is holding up,

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The timing chain part was replaced in all 1.8l engines produced after 07/15. So, for example, a boat made in 10/15 would have the new part.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welp, it appears worst fears have been realized. I had both batteries tested at my local auto parts store and they both are healthy. Next, I bought a spark tester to rule out the possibility of faulty switches/electrical issues. Cylinders one and 2 had spark. Here's where my stomach sank. I threw my compression tester into cylinder #1 while the spark was out .... 0 psi compression. Check cylinder #2, 0 psi compression. So it looks like I am either seized or the timing chain has broken.

The boat has less than 50 hrs on it. I bought it on consignment from my local yamaha dealer so I do not have the YES. When I purchased the boat (a month ago) it read 150 psi compression on each cylinder..What do I do? Do I try to retro purchase YES? Take it to the dealer and cross my fingers?

Shit.
Man I'm sorry I even brought it up in the beginning of this post as a possible issue hopefully the compression tester is wrong and its something silly thats wrong in the end.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash
[QUOTE=". I wouldn't freak out but I would inspect my timing chain from time to time if I had an older model. Heck I may do it with my 2016 just to make sure the newer upgraded hardware is holding up,[/QUOTE]

Why don't you do it and make a video or tutorial so we can add it to the FAQ, it would be a valuable contribution to the board,

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is a video in the thread he linked above.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash
[QUOTE=". I wouldn't freak out but I would inspect my timing chain from time to time if I had an older model. Heck I may do it with my 2016 just to make sure the newer upgraded hardware is holding up,

Why don't you do it and make a video or tutorial so we can add it to the FAQ, it would be a valuable contribution to the board,
I could make a new video as I do those types of tutorial how-to videos for motorcycles but as @JDinfla mentioned there is already a video someone made explaining how he inspects his timing chain. He's pretty straight to the point so it's a good vid I posted in the other thread.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry, I'm trying to break my addiction and not read every single post of every thread,

I will add this to that FAQ

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It's a good video! He talks about the timing chain starts coming apart before failure and what to look for.

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took the boat to the Yamaha dealer and they confirmed a broken timing chain. It's a 2013 so it's past the limited 1 year warranty, but the motor only has 27 hours on it. The dealer took pictures and submitted a claim to Yamaha on my behalf. Will be a couple of days until we hear back, but let's hope Yamaha lives up to its reputation and does the right thing.

Edit: its an interference motor so it most likely needs a full rebuild

Last edited: