• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine died on the water today, during a squall line, had to towed in

Lol
I have posted on the old forums about not starting and it was my levers were forward. Don't be offended at that suggestion!

If your oil looks normal and not milky...put her together and fire her up.

Agree with the above experts. I will be curious what you find now (air filter, bad gas, or something else).

I am assuming that the storm also increased the size of the waves. Our jet(s) are most efficient in undistrubed water. I suspect that the higher RPMs that you experienced may have been due to the combination of larger waves and the additional weight of rain water that may have been trapped in various compartments.

Since it turns over but does not start I would be taking a close look at the lanyard switch.

Sounds to me like a fuel issue. Pull your hatch over the fuel tank, get your ear close to the fuel pump ad have someone turn the key to on, you should hear it prime up. If you hear nothing, check the fuses on the engine computer on the back of the transom under the screw cover. If your pump runs, still check those fuses, then I would suspect you may have picked up bad gas. You can pull the fuel pump and look in the tank to see if water is in the bottom. By the rpms picking p before dying is a lean condition like you ran out of fuel.

i'll look at these things and get back to you.... something else to note is that the engine was running (higher RPMs than normal) and when I came off the throttle it died.... so its not like it died with the throttle forward.

I've look at the air filter briefly and it did not appear to be wet, but it doesn't look like it just pops out like i've seen on other engines... I see a screw holding the filter in and it looks like I'll need to unattached some hose clamps to get the filter holder out to have room to even get the screw out??

Yes, I did fill up with gas, but on the way out to the island (about 25 mins) the engine seemed to run fine.. it wasn't until the torrential downpour, giant waves, and everything that it went to crap.

Perhaps the higher RPMS thing was because i wasn't on plane and was banging around too much to get on speed.

Expect more questions as I investigate all the great suggestions.

You got bad gas, I'm pretty sure of it. The rough conditions mixed it all up into a nasty uncombustible mess.

I recently went through a similar issue and the issue was bad gas. I pulled the fuel hose where it goes into the engine and activated the fuel pump with the YDS software, you can just.crank the the engine. I pumped that fuel into a clear container and was shocked at what came out - it was a nasty milky mixture, the result of phase separation. When I just looked in the tank I couldn't see it, it just looked like the bottom of the tank. The mixture in the glass separated very quickly to a thin layer of clear fuel at the top and the nasty stuff at the bottom. My fuel pumps were pumping that into my engines causing them to crank and crank without ever firing. I also had just added new fuel to the tank. Check your fuel!

What's strange is why is the engine compartment filling with water? You mentioned the bilge came on but any rain water would just drain through the scupper.

What's strange is why is the engine compartment filling with water? You mentioned the bilge came on but any rain water would just drain through the scupper.
In my 2005, rainwater entered my engine bilge easily through the engine hatch hinge. I was in a torrential downpour once and my high water alarm came on. There was easily 8" of water in there.

So, I pulled the air filter, and then tried to start.. no difference... then I thought to look at the fuses, the 20amp fuse was blown... replaced it and tried to crank it... motor starts to turn over then after a few seconds it goes "clunk" and stops before fully running. Pulled the plugs again and tried again... engine turned over fine but still wouldn't start (as expected).. verified the pistons were moving by looking down each of the cylinders and after each start different pistons would be visible down the spark plug hole. Scared to do anything else now... guess it's going to the dealership.

That clunk may be a misfire.

Check that fuel!

Process described above. Pull the fuel line off and pump some into a jar.

i pulled the fuel line and was able to just pour a little fuel out of the line into my hand without even trying to crank the engine... it was slightly yellow in color and smelt like gasoline... we are talking about just a little bit in my palm...

Crank the engine with the fuel line pulled and the hose in a glass jar. I used a solo cup like drinking utensil and this is what my fuel looked like after 15 seconds in the cup. Not good!

20150807_165612.jpg

Definitely not good. Looks like a complete drain, clean and refill. Good that you isolated the problem though.

Back