• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine idle slight vibration & strange noise

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
perfect thank you. And it’s ok to run the engines with the impellers out?
I’ve never done that so wait for someone else to reply. I don’t see why not though.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you post a picture of what you have attached

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sometimes the shaft splines can get "vacuum" sealed in the coupler, you may have to try to apply some constant pulling pressure and give it some love taps to try to loosen it up but until I would see what you've done I wouldn't tell you to do that,

normally the bucket/nozzle/wear ring/shaft all come off at the same time if you just do the 4 bolts at the transom so I just want to make sure I know what you've done so far,

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
sometimes the shaft splines can get "vacuum" sealed in the coupler, you may have to try to apply some constant pulling pressure and give it some love taps to try to loosen it up but until I would see what you've done I wouldn't tell you to do that,

normally the bucket/nozzle/wear ring/shaft all come off at the same time if you just do the 4 bolts at the transom so I just want to make sure I know what you've done so far,
I just put it back together because I’m heading out this afternoon. But will do it again tomorrow. I removed the 4 bolts closest to me. Jet nozzle came off no problem. I took some pictures of the impeller through the housing you can see which bolt i removed in one of the pictures.

Attachments

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just put it back together because I’m heading out this afternoon. But will do it again tomorrow. I removed the 4 bolts closest to me. Jet nozzle came off no problem. I took some pictures of the impeller through the housing you can see which bolt i removed in one of the pictures.
This picture from the other thread is basically where I was at.

Attachments

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just a thought but are you using the plugs that your manual recommends? The only reason I ask is that for my 242, the gap is usually already within the range for the ones I use.
So I just ordered another set of plugs and a new gapper. It shows all the new ones at .033 vs the original gapper which is showing them at .028. So I imagine I opened up the old ones too much as I trust the new one is more accurate because it matches what the gaps should be. Will be putting new plugs in next weekend along with new steering cables and oil change. May try to get the impellers off again because that was super fun last time :)

mike289

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi FLJetboater, I was just wondering how you're making out with the vibration. I have the same year, same boat, same hours, and same issue, but in addition it wont go over 6400 rpms.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi FLJetboater, I was just wondering how you're making out with the vibration. I have the same year, same boat, same hours, and same issue, but in addition it wont go over 6400 rpms.
I really haven't had that much time to work on it, but been using it plenty! I don't pay attention too much to the RPM's, but I think at WOT it's approaching 8000, definitely over 7000. Finally have a few days coming up where I can try and get those pumps pulled again, but I also ordered my stereo so I might be more motivated to get that done before the long weekend. :)

mike289

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep following this post for updates. Have a great day and upcoming weekend!