• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Erie Canal ? any suggestions ?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the monongahela river locks, although commerce has priority, they will only lock through 3 commercial vessels then let the pleasure guys through. Also I usually hail the locks on the vhf to let them know I'm coming to lock through. (Ch13) I've gotten ahead of commercial boats because I was first in line via radio. Sometimes they will even have the gates open and ready. I have 100 feet of rope that I use for the locks. Make sure it's not snaggy so that when it's time to pull it off the pin it pulls through easily. I don't fender up through the locks. I use 2 poles to keep the boat off the wall. Lock walls will just grind grit into your fenders. I usually keep a few packs of beef jerky to throw up to the lock guys. Locks collect a lot of crap. You will suck stuff up.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik I have to discussed this trip with @Andy S if I was to do it I would rent one of the canal boats up there.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@McMark great shots.

@robert843 I hate the renting. I will look for a solution to prodect my intakes, but I will hate to rent. Worse case scenario, I will have to wait until we retire and go there with a sailboat or trawler.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On Friday June 22nd, there is a wedding in NYC, that I have to attend. So I was thinking to take the opportunity and traverse the Erie canal.
My idea is to lunch at Buffalo NY, clear the locks all the way to Hudson. Head on south to Ellis island and retrieve somewhere in NJ.

General question...
  1. Has any one done it ?
    1. if so any recommendation on marinas to lunch and retrieve
    2. places to stay overnight,
    3. places to eat
    4. other places we want to visit
  2. Do you recommend to do the whole Erie canal or maybe lunch from Lake Oneida
    1. if so which section is MUST SEE?
  3. Besides tons of fenders, VHF, 2 sets of spark plugs and one way ticket from NYC to Buffalo, are there any other equipment that you would re-command ?
  4. if I install water intake switches, do you see any problems on running one engine at the time?
    1. say 4 hours on port, and then 4 hours on stbrd
    2. this is a 500+ miles trip, so running one engine instead of 2 I expect to help with fuel cost and reduction on engine hours.
  5. anything at all that I am probably forgetting to ask ?
We live on the canal near Lock 9 in Rotterdam Junction. Here, the canal travels along the Mohawk River so the speed limit is higher, 45 mph. It's that way from lock 16 all the way down to the Hudson River which is about 100 miles. The NYS Canal Corporation has a great website with lots of advice and information including basic maps with marinas, launches, etc. http://www.canals.ny.gov/boating/ Before making a trip like this I recommend buying a good guide book and spend the winter planning. There are many wonderful towns and places to stop along your way and many of the towns have facilities (some free) for boaters such as showers and laundry. Fairport near Rochester is a favorite as is Littlefalls, where the gigantic (40 foot lift) Lock 17 is located.

The locks themselves are easy and lots of fun. Just call the Lockmaster on VHF 13 and tell them you would like to lock through. Once the gates open just pull in and stop next to either wall. Each lock has large weighted ropes evenly spaced about every 50 feet. Just grab onto one of the ropes or use a boat hook to hang on to one of the recessed ladders. I tend to stay away from the ladders because I don't want fenders or anything to get caught going up or down. You never tie off in a lock, you just hold onto the rope to keep your boat in place. Also I've only had to wait for a commercial vessel once, there is very little commercial traffic.

Weather and water conditions are going to be your biggest challenge. We had a really wet spring/early summer which resulted in some localized flooding. This can cause you issues in several ways. First, if it's raining there obviously isn't much shelter on our boats. Also, the canal can and did close unexpectedly twice this summer, once on 4th of July weekend for 7 days because it's too dangerous when flooding. Any boat in the canal has to stay tied up where they are at a lock or hopefully you are in a nice town with stuff to do nearby. The second problem is once it reopens after a flood there is debris everywhere, some of it extremely large like entire trees. That will definitely slow you down.

I don't want to scare you off however. The canal is awesome and we've done several segments by trailering the boat but I don't think I'll attempt the entire canal with this boat. It is on our bucket list however.

If you want a fun, manageable trip, you might start further east in Littlefalls and head east to the Hudson. That would give you a total of 17 locks and you could do it easily in 2 days.

Peter Enot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi, not sure if you did this trip yet but it maybe this June 2018? If so the canal trip could be fun but I have to agree a slow fun. I been researching this trip for years and I found a great cash of fun information from the “loopers” on tackling the canal. Its on my bucket list someday but I have an alternative trip instead. I live within a drive from the Hudson River and I would suggest taking this smaller but more manageable trip instead. The Hudson River is a beautiful place to boat and when done right the trip ends or turns around in the best biggest city in the world, NYC. Put in north of NYC in Newburgh NY, head south about 70 miles to the GW Bridge, there is plenty to see and do along the way, West Point, Bridges, plenty of fuel/marinas and mountains. It’s one of our favorite trips in the northeast. The Yamaha boats run smooth and fast on generally calm water. Then you get to NYC, just to many options for a day trip in my book. Possibly stay overnight at Chelsey Pier, take a swing by to Lady Liberty, circle the island, like I said too many things to do. I noticed your from Tx, just be prepared, it maybe a culture shock, hey it’s NYC. We usually do this trip every other year or so, but it’s still a favorite boating adventure. Hope this helps. Photo was from our old boat, we now have 17 212Limited, can’t wait for this summer.
92289900-7D0E-4184-8703-9CEE56129AAC.jpeg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Peter Enot thank you for the feedback.
this summer I am actually going to both Bimini trips and then lake Powell. So we pushed the Erie canal for later. Not everyone here was as optimistic as you.
This trip is definitely a bucket list for me, so sooner or later I will do it. I got actually most of my info from Cap. John, I think he has done the loop like 7 times and have website.

Not worries about culture shock, I grew up in Greece and spend 2 year in LIC. I left NY, 45 days before the tower went down, so I am bit familiar with the culture up there. Although, to be honest, we really really like Texas. Will love to visit, but will never move back there unless we HAVE to.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We did the Manhattan trip last year and it was fantastic! Started further south at Stony Point, about 10 miles north of the Tappan Zee. That's much more reasonable if you are looking for a day-trip.

As for the canal, I'm hope to organize something later in the summer, maybe late July or early August. I'm thinking about a one-day trip that would be fun and manageable. Canal hours are 7 to 5:30 at most locks so a point-to-point trip would give us more time to explore and see more of the canal. Launch the boats at one end, move the trucks to the other end, and carpool back.

I have access to a really nice private launch near lock 9 with lots of parking.

Option A: Launch at lock 9, leave the boats tied up at the lock (under supervision) and move the trucks to the Corning Preserve in Albany. This is about 36 miles and would take us through locks 9 through 1. Speed limit is 45 mph the entire way except for a few short no-wake zones. Highlights include the Waterford "Flight of Five" (E2-E6), this sequence of locks is the largest lift in the shortest distance, only 1.5 miles, of any system in the world. I think it's 169 feet and lifts boats around the nearby Cohoes Falls. There are plenty of hotels and restaurants in Albany, including an inexpensive restaurant/barge within walking distance of the Corning Preserve if we wanted to have dinner afterwards.

Option B: Travel between Lock 9 and Lock 17 in Little Falls. We made this trip last summer and spent the night at a hotel in Little Falls. This trip is about 50 miles and includes lock E17, which for years was the highest lift in the world at just over 40'. Speed limit is 45 MPH until the last 8 miles (from 16 to 17) which is a 10 MPH speed limit.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Zonie this year might be tough for us to make it up there but please tag me when you organize the trip. I will be VERY interested to monitor even if I am not there myself.

My dream is actually to lunch in Buffalo and retrieve in NJ. Make it a 10 day trip ( + 4 days driving ). My wife went to Cornell so I am thinking to possibly bring the kids and show them mommy's school. So they can be motivated.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be a great trip, but I think I would want a different boat for such a long journey.

If you wanted to add a couple days, you could make the turn into the Seneca Canal and go right down Cayuga Lake to Ithaca!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a good idea. Now that I think more about it, I could lunch at Cayaga lake and then head east on the canal.

@swatski said that I have the wrong boat for this trip, but then I had the wrong about going to Bimini too :jimlad:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a good idea. Now that I think more about it, I could lunch at Cayaga lake and then head east on the canal.

@swatski said that I have the wrong boat for this trip, but then I had the wrong about going to Bimini too :jimlad:
To me - a trip up and down Hudson, like West Point to NYC sounds the best. It would be an amazing trip, and totally manageable.

Lots of choices for a great loop boat on captainjohn!
But this is what you need:

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be in for that too, lets see what @Zonie plans out. I am running out of vacation and money this year. After the aluminum trailer, I am hurting ...

Peter Enot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We did the Manhattan trip last year and it was fantastic! Started further south at Stony Point, about 10 miles north of the Tappan Zee. That's much more reasonable if you are looking for a day-trip.

As for the canal, I'm hope to organize something later in the summer, maybe late July or early August. I'm thinking about a one-day trip that would be fun and manageable. Canal hours are 7 to 5:30 at most locks so a point-to-point trip would give us more time to explore and see more of the canal. Launch the boats at one end, move the trucks to the other end, and carpool back.

I have access to a really nice private launch near lock 9 with lots of parking.

Option A: Launch at lock 9, leave the boats tied up at the lock (under supervision) and move the trucks to the Corning Preserve in Albany. This is about 36 miles and would take us through locks 9 through 1. Speed limit is 45 mph the entire way except for a few short no-wake zones. Highlights include the Waterford "Flight of Five" (E2-E6), this sequence of locks is the largest lift in the shortest distance, only 1.5 miles, of any system in the world. I think it's 169 feet and lifts boats around the nearby Cohoes Falls. There are plenty of hotels and restaurants in Albany, including an inexpensive restaurant/barge within walking distance of the Corning Preserve if we wanted to have dinner afterwards.

Option B: Travel between Lock 9 and Lock 17 in Little Falls. We made this trip last summer and spent the night at a hotel in Little Falls. This trip is about 50 miles and includes lock E17, which for years was the highest lift in the world at just over 40'. Speed limit is 45 MPH until the last 8 miles (from 16 to 17) which is a 10 MPH speed limit.
That’s sounds like a great trip, both A or B. Since I live closer to the A choice that would be interesting to us. As the summer begins I’ll keep an eye on post to see if the trip plans start. I’m up in the Albany Saratoga area a few times a year and the locks/canal trip sparks my boating interest. Please keep in touch. Also if you hear anything about the NYC trip this summer/fall I’m interested in that too.

Peter Enot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Peter Enot thank you for the feedback.
this summer I am actually going to both Bimini trips and then lake Powell. So we pushed the Erie canal for later. Not everyone here was as optimistic as you.
This trip is definitely a bucket list for me, so sooner or later I will do it. I got actually most of my info from Cap. John, I think he has done the loop like 7 times and have website.

Not worries about culture shock, I grew up in Greece and spend 2 year in LIC. I left NY, 45 days before the tower went down, so I am bit familiar with the culture up there. Although, to be honest, we really really like Texas. Will love to visit, but will never move back there unless we HAVE to.
Bimini trips sound like a blast, I know I will may the crossing someday! Enjoy and post pictures!

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s sounds like a great trip, both A or B. Since I live closer to the A choice that would be interesting to us. As the summer begins I’ll keep an eye on post to see if the trip plans start. I’m up in the Albany Saratoga area a few times a year and the locks/canal trip sparks my boating interest. Please keep in touch. Also if you hear anything about the NYC trip this summer/fall I’m interested in that too.
Will do!

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, and that would be amazing. Maybe if we upgrade to a 24' someday. No head on the 23. Not a big deal for us guys but it is for my wife!
No, do it BEFORE you upgrade!
the older hulls were actually designed to take on anything:

--