• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Erie Canal ? any suggestions ?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We did the Manhattan trip last year and it was fantastic! Started further south at Stony Point, about 10 miles north of the Tappan Zee. That's much more reasonable if you are looking for a day-trip.

As for the canal, I'm hope to organize something later in the summer, maybe late July or early August. I'm thinking about a one-day trip that would be fun and manageable. Canal hours are 7 to 5:30 at most locks so a point-to-point trip would give us more time to explore and see more of the canal. Launch the boats at one end, move the trucks to the other end, and carpool back.

I have access to a really nice private launch near lock 9 with lots of parking.

Option A: Launch at lock 9, leave the boats tied up at the lock (under supervision) and move the trucks to the Corning Preserve in Albany. This is about 36 miles and would take us through locks 9 through 1. Speed limit is 45 mph the entire way except for a few short no-wake zones. Highlights include the Waterford "Flight of Five" (E2-E6), this sequence of locks is the largest lift in the shortest distance, only 1.5 miles, of any system in the world. I think it's 169 feet and lifts boats around the nearby Cohoes Falls. There are plenty of hotels and restaurants in Albany, including an inexpensive restaurant/barge within walking distance of the Corning Preserve if we wanted to have dinner afterwards.

Option B: Travel between Lock 9 and Lock 17 in Little Falls. We made this trip last summer and spent the night at a hotel in Little Falls. This trip is about 50 miles and includes lock E17, which for years was the highest lift in the world at just over 40'. Speed limit is 45 MPH until the last 8 miles (from 16 to 17) which is a 10 MPH speed limit.
I would love to join in on this trip let me know.
Thanks

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Zonie , you already know where we stand on a lock trip.....we're in!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOL
@Peter Enot what are you waiting for ?? This is an even year. word on the street is that even years have calmer crossings ....

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know @Amar and his friend are talking about that they will boat his big new boat up to Toronto through MD, NY possible route Erie Canal from FLL after 2018 Bimini trip.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A little news on the NY canal systems just out.

20210204_100940.jpg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Recent discoveries along the canal. I was a diver with Art Cohn in 1982 in Whitehall NY during the Whitehall project. We cataloged 3 war ships from the War of 1812, including the USS Eagle, a US gunboat and the captured British war ship HMS Linnet.

A book was written on the Whitehall project expedition.

20210923_092103.jpg

The diver on the right holding the clipboard is me, 39 years ago.

20210923_092547.jpg

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You look the part m, mustache and everything