• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Evinrude vs Yamaha outboards

I think the point is that the test did not continue to go down on pitch to test the Yamaha fully to it's best capability.

If he had and the numbers showed it was a worse performer even then, I would agree with the premise of the test.

I agree he has proven the Rude is better with this prop, but he did not prove the Yamaha preforms worse with any prop, as he stopped going down in pitch as he should have.

For a good test the best prop should have allowed full throttle Max rpm. No Max rpm=no Max performance.

For a good test the best prop should have allowed full throttle Max rpm. No Max rpm=no Max performance.
The problem is - these guys know it, they know darned well the prop does not work in a vacuum. Still - put out misleading info that can confuse even long time boaters.
That's what bothers me about that "review", and a good example why no one should take boattest.com seriously anymore. Too bad.

--

Someone just buy both motors and do a test. I know some people on here have to much time and money . We all on here take are boats and change everything on them let's do some outboards. I would like to see a ls swap on a Yamaha

LS motor in a 192?! I'm down someone do it!!!

Key point to remember: boattest.com is NOT an independent testing organization. They operate in the space often called "advertorial." Yes, much (most?) of their output is essentially PAID ADVERTISING.

Of course, they are a good source of info, do some reasonably solid, sorta-standardized testing (ex: their time to plane, top speed, gallons per mile, etc performance data), so they do provide value to consumers, provided it is understood that they are nearly the opposite of an independent, unbiased data source.

Any guesses which manufacturer paid for this piece?

PS: I happen to like both Evinrude and Yamaha outboard motors, so I have no dog in this particular hunt

Key point to remember: boattest.com is NOT an independent testing organization. They operate in the space often called "advertorial." Yes, much (most?) of their output is essentially PAID ADVERTISING.

Of course, they are a good source of info, do some reasonably solid, sorta-standardized testing (ex: their time to plane, top speed, gallons per mile, etc performance data), so they do provide value to consumers, provided it is understood that they are nearly the opposite of an independent, unbiased data source.

Any guesses which manufacturer paid for this piece?

PS: I happen to like both Evinrude and Yamaha outboard motors, so I have no dog in this particular hunt
Good point!

--

Yes boattest.com is biased, theres no doubt or argument there. Boiled down, this is really just a comparison between an 4 stroke and a 2 stroke, and I don't find the results surprising. Forget about the branding. If the Yamaha had been two stroke and the Evinrude a four stroke then my bet would be on the Yamaha. The unfairness in the test is not the prop selection so much as it is the engine architecture.

This video doesn't surprise me as I would expect a two stroke to handle like this in the situation presented. I like the G2's I agree with others with the recent revamp of them I would like to see a few more years on them on reliability before I would make the jump to them. They really have thrown a lot of tech into these I wish they would focus more of the advertising on that versus videos like this. One of their coolest features right now is building the steering pump directly into the motor which has some nice advantages and I'm not sure any other outboards are doing this yet but I expect most to follow. One big advantage to this is it allows a joy stick steering system to be installed for a fraction of the cost the other guys systems cost because you would have to add external steering pumps for theirs to work here is a video of this feature its pretty neat.

The unfairness in the test is not the prop selection so much as it is the engine architecture.
Hmm...
They are comparing an engine, Yamaha, operating at about 25% of its output with another engine, G2, running at close to 100% of its own power output. How would that address... the engine architecture?

Yes, 2-strokers have some distinct advantages that can be revealed in a cleverly designed "test" - but that has nothing to do with real world scenarios involving properly set-up o/b.

This is NOT an honest "shootout" style comparison/review. The hell with boattest pretending to be publishing honest reviews. Call it what it is - a paid advert.

I guess one could say this (based on the boattest bs "testing"):
If one lost an engine in a large twin engine CC - it better be rigged w/2-strokers.
So, yes, if one plans for an emergency like that - get a G2 now.
Everyone else look elsewhere for real tests w/properly setup twin, or single.

--

Last edited:
Someone just buy both motors and do a test. I know some people on here have to much time and money . We all on here take are boats and change everything on them let's do some outboards. I would like to see a ls swap on a Yamaha
Actually, the too much time and money guys are on the Malibu Wakesetter forum.

If both motors were propped for driving that boat as a pair running and one of the pair is off line then each is working as they would be installed and the test is valid.
Understanding that the are by definition mismatched (with the 4 stroke rated higher) and they basically worked as a pair running normally it is important if one would plane the boat and the other would not.
IF THEY ARE PROPPED TO RUN THE BOAT WITH BOTH RUNNING and in the proper RPM range at cruise.

So an important observation would be are they propped for the proper rpm when both are operating normally?
If that is true then this test is very telling on the ability to return with one inoperative.

I would choose the one that would get me home if one of a pair died, especially of I were very far offshore.

Last edited:
I would choose the one that would get me home if one of a pair died, especially of I were very far offshore.
I agree!
And that's exactly what I said, too:
I guess one could say this (based on the boattest bs "testing"):
If one lost an engine in a large twin engine CC - it better be rigged w/2-strokers.
So, yes, if one plans for an emergency like that - get a G2 now.

--

I was looking at The 190,000 Mastercrafts at the boat show they were extremely nice high quality billet aluminum everywhere but I didn't see how they are three times the price of a center console fishing boat . I suppose its supply and demand .For every hundred fishing boats they sell 1 ski boat at lease near me. Middle America maybe a different story.

My daughter and her boy friend where discussing which to get get Yamaha or g2. My daughter told him I would say Yamaha because I've had a lot of their products I told her if it was a year ago at the time I would go Yamaha but the new G2 is what I would get. She got a G2 250 on her tritoon. Performs awesome just add oil and go. (Plus I knew I'd have to do all the maintenance.). The engine was designed from scratch so it's not fitch crap. If I didn't end up with this jetboat I'd have one on the back of anything else I bought. There is a chip out there to that will give you another 15 percent of horse power that doesn't void the warranty.

Check out this new video. Not a fair performance apples to apples test but that's not what the review is about. Those performance numbers and fuel efficiency are impressive! If I had a CC I'd certainly be running a pair of Etec's based off everything I've seen.

Third year with my daughters G2. No issues.

There isn't a whole lot of maintenance with the E-Tec G2. 500 hours or 5 years before your first "dealer" service along with doing your own annual inspections much like you do on any boat.

That is a joke, maybe for freshwater. Try that for saltwater and let us know how it actually turns out. Water pumps wear/rot out, they say 5 years....so is that 5 years at 20 hours of use a year or is that unlimited hours? Yamaha is every other year or every 100 hours, which is just on point. Any longer with either interval and you are chancing it. Not to mention the saltwater can freeze the lower unit bolts on so you want to keep those free and greased. I have seen people avoid replacing the water pump to the point where corrosion caused a bushing to seize the lower unit drive shaft in the housing not allowing the engine to even crank over! As for gear oil, change at the end of every season! I want to know if I unknowingly picked up fishing line around the prop shaft that compromised the prop shaft shield and is now letting saltwater in. Let saltwater sit in the low unit over the winter and see how that works out in the spring.

Dare I mention service.....sure, the G2 may 'require' less service, but when you do need it, good luck! They lock their engines in so tight with their dealers that you are at their mercy. If you have an injector fail it needs to be programmed into the ECM with the serial number or it will not function. If you have one dealer in your area and they tell you 2-3 weeks, well you are SOL until then. With a Yamaha, or any other brand, any knowledgeable individual or dealer can replace the injector same day and you are back on the water enjoying you weekend or vacation.

I am not saying it is a bad engine, but I know where I am they are unicorns, for a reason. A person making the decision has a lot of factors to weight when re powering and what will work best for them in the long run.

Back