• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Evinrude vs Yamaha outboards

I am not going to weigh in on 4 stroke vs 2 or Yamaha vs Evinrude. They are both great engines but thought I would throw in my experience. I own a 23 ft 2009 Striper CC that weighs 3550 without engine - 225 G1 etec with 250 hrs. All hrs are in the ocean. My buddy just bought a new 21 ft Sea Hunt that weighs 2700 lbs without engine -200 hp Yamaha. The etec is significantly faster getting on plane and mid range acceleration is better. The Yamaha is slightly faster at 51 vs 50 on GPS. Fuel consumption during a recent 125 mile round trip was almost identical with the etec burning about $15 less in fuel. (G2's are supposed to get better fuel economy) Maintenance is great with the etec .no oil changes,3 years vs 5 with the G1 although I do change the gear case oil every year for peace of mind. Cost of injection oil per 100 hrs on etec would probably be similar to oil and filter on Yamaha if you did it yourself. The etec has auto winterization that fogs the motor for you in a couple of min.which is a great feature if you get a warm fall day and want to take it out of storage. I would not hesitate to buy either of these engines.

Contrary to Yamaha CC comments on water pumps my etec went in for service at 225 hrs. Dealer said no need to change water pump, looked like new and that is after 4 years since last replacement. All usage has been in salt water. I do flush with fresh water regularly, must make a difference.

I love this topic, if there is one engine that truely excites me it is the G2. Wouldn't give up the benefits of the Yamaha boat for one, but if this world were like the OB world and I could choose my powerplant, all else being equal, that's what it would be all day every day.

Being honest, I seriously considered outboard boats when making my buying decision based almost solely on my desire to have one of those engines.

My next boat is definatly going to be in the twin G2 direction, I've been a life long Yamaha purchaser, I even made sure my daughters electric keyboard was Yamaha!! Yamaha, as a marine product has just lost its way IMO.

Back