• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FANGS for Cobra Venoms - first impressions

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So I keep getting asked the same question about the twin engine fang setup, " What's the difference or benefits having 2 fangs, one on each nozzle as opposed to having 4 fangs with 2 on each nozzle, and is it worth the extra 75 dollars?"
Now in all the confusion I remember offering someone a extra set so they can do a test using the 2 and the four in comparison, but I can not find the thread where I made that offer and I don't remember who it was, so someone please help me with this, Please.
I have never tested the 4 on the twin jet boat so I can't honestly answer the question

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it was Ronnie on post #59, page 3,

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It was @Ronnie on page 2 post 34

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
OK, page 3, page 2 ? how much is he paying you to say that? LOL
I guess that makes sense I believe he he has a Cobra Jet Steering museum by now, He probably has about every different set I have sold over the past 15 years.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so I put his name on them and I will ship them out as soon as the neighbor kid gets his bicycle fixed, hopefully he can find his house to deliver them.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It was me. I have not had a chance to test the two v. four fang set up yet but hope to this weekend. I will try and report back and post a video soon.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok great just had another person ask the same question. On a twin engine boat here is my best guess, with the steering fins all the way deployed set to stay in the water at speed you get the power steering effect from the outside fangs as those are exposed to the water . The inside fangs would basically be shielded from the water by the hull. So the big difference I would expect between the 2 and the 4 fang setup would be at slow speed and in reverse. But I guess we will wait and see. I always remind people that they can do the regular setup and upgrade to the 4 setup later if they wish.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK, with some coaching (really correction), quickly made the correction to the Fang install (inside vs outside).

Bottom-line. Makes no difference (inside or out). AK's with Fangs drastically improve both slow speed and reverse maneuvering.

I had done a ton of slow speed maneuvering a week before taking some buddies out bass fishing and sloppy is the best adjective to describe the control we have w/ stock articulating keel, at slow speeds. If you are just launching and docking daily, there is likely nothing you need to correct with the OEM set-up.
I end up doing a ton of slow speed maneuvering due to how we use our boat (launching, recovery, fishing, raft-ups, beaching,...) so adding rudder steerage is a no brainer for us. We also like throwing our friends the keys and telling them to have a great time on our boat, so the 'more like the feel of an out-drive' is convenient and safer for them.

No doubt, two thumbs up here!

(Right now, I am not considering adding 2 more Fangs on the inside of each jet. We have what we need, now-

Godspeed-

Attachments

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick update. I posted before and said the Cobra Ultiimates with Fangs defiantely gave me an update with tracking at slow speeds and no wake zones. Had issues reversing though. Had a chance to check it out again with not so much wind and it is amazing. I went to a lake for the weekend and reversing is sooooo much easier. I can almost dock like a "boss." Still working on a couple of things but overall I give this setup an A+. Thanks again.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
OK, with some coaching (really correction), quickly made the correction to the Fang install (inside vs outside).

Bottom-line. Makes no difference (inside or out). AK's with Fangs drastically improve both slow speed and reverse maneuvering.

I had done a ton of slow speed maneuvering a week before taking some buddies out bass fishing and sloppy is the best adjective to describe the control we have w/ stock articulating keel, at slow speeds. If you are just launching and docking daily, there is likely nothing you need to correct with the OEM set-up.
I end up doing a ton of slow speed maneuvering due to how we use our boat (launching, recovery, fishing, raft-ups, beaching,...) so adding rudder steerage is a no brainer for us. We also like throwing our friends the keys and telling them to have a great time on our boat, so the 'more like the feel of an out-drive' is convenient and safer for them.

No doubt, two thumbs up here!

(Right now, I am not considering adding 2 more Fangs on the inside of each jet. We have what we need, now-

Godspeed-
Thank you for your feedback on the magnum A K steering and the fangs
I am very happy that you like the steering and you placed the fangs inside the fins .
Just to avoid any confusion regarding the addition of fangs on the Magnum A K steering system, the fangs are designed differently than the regular fangs in several ways, the Magnum A K fangs are made to bolt directly to the inside of the actual steering fins using the two lower adjustment holes, unlike the regular fangs that bolt to the bottom side force stabilizer and operate independently of the fins. Because they bolt directly to the steering fins and because there are only 2 fins, one on each nozzle there is no option for any more than 2 fangs in that particular application.

Derek Fosbury

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I put the fangs on as well this past weekend. So I had one weekend with just the AK Magnums, and now 1 weekend with the Fins + Fangs. I can say that the steering effort with the fangs on is much less at speed, and reverse is better. Highly recommend the fangs.

Thanks Jeff!

Derek.

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fins + Fangs on the AK series is awesome! Steering at speed is much improved and not so tight. Easy to install and shipped quickly. Thanks Jeff.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We also like throwing our friends the keys and telling them to have a great time on our boat
You're a better friend than I'll ever be. . . .

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For fun (& thanks) threw the helm to my fishing brother yesterday after we spent an hour pulling my daughter and her friends in the tube.
As we were cruising (30 mph) back towards the area of the ramp, watched him turn the boat 180° with only one finger in the wheel to make the turn. Fishing oppy!
This is the benefit of the Fangs.
You're a better friend than I'll ever be. . . .

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Give and take. Share open handedly; a closed hand is only used for fighting.
#oldMarine
I've got no issue sharing. . . . they are always welcome to join us. But hand over the keys is Airforce nice. =- )

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've got no issue sharing. . . . they are always welcome to join us. But hand over the keys is Airforce nice. =- )
Semper Fidelis Marine!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Fyi had four original fins on the exciter and it was too much for me! Gimmie the back end slide please!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you Tom , I am running out of those once again, people are loving the power steering and accurate reverse control .
So speedling what has the old steering got to do with the newest? The old steering was not selectable or adjustable it was a fixed system and yet many thousands of people loved them . Actually many are still using them. I see a lot of them on boats up on their lifts when I go out cruising around. So I guess those people are still happy with their purchase.
Honestly I would love for them to upgrade to the latest and greatest but what they have is working for them .
With my latest steering systems the customer gets to select the exact amount of influence the system delivers, and they get to choose how it operates.
It's got something for nearly everyone minimum influence to maximum influence, all time to part time and it can be upgraded to accept the fangs for improved reverse control and a power steering effect as Tom just commented on, everyone wants something different, so I am quite happy for you that you like the loose feel of the stock boat that's great but it seems to be a diminishing group of people as the new jet boats provide a great boating experience and a family experience that has brought the jetboating market back to life.
Most people today don't care for the stock jet boat feel so I fix the issue for them.
I like hearing from my customers and it keeps me focused , this is what I have done for the past 15 years, improving the jet boating experience a for thousands of jet boat owners who wan it fixed.
So people keep the feedback coming please I certainly appreciate it.