• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

FANGS for Cobra Venoms - first impressions

That was my first thought, too!
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jeff - thanks for clarifying. I did not think of that option - having it set up such that the fins would go up, but the fangs would stay down at speed.
I just changed mine to try it with the Ultimates out of the water at speed. See how the Fangs feel without the fins.

So many options
13268373_1101613459908943_8630691241830347614_o.jpg

What on earth are you referring to?

Last edited:
That was my first thought, too!
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jeff - thanks for clarifying. I did not think of that option - having it set up such that the fins would go up, but the fangs would stay down at speed.

I thought that the cross brace was Mis installed as well but the fangs are always down regardless of what the main fina do at least on my set up so I don't understand what benefit/impact installing the brace that way would have.

Well I was asked if I would be interested in having a set of decals available for customers to add to their Ultimate fins, keep in mind they have to be a special decal called hi tack because of the decals being in the water.
My small decals are hi tack decals and they don't come cheep.
These decals would be placed on the plane side of the fins , since the fins are reversible you could place the decals on the 2 outside fins where they would show outward leaving the other side of the fins with the original decals and stampings facing inward.
This could also be done on the inner fins on a twin engine boat if you desired it.
These decals would run about 20 dollars each so it wouldn't be all that expensive to do 2 or even 4 of the surfaces.
My question is basically do people want something like this?
I can also get them made for the magnum fins and they have the 7th hole position on them so if you have the early 6 hole fins you automatically know where to drill the 7th hole.
The concern I have is all this fang stuff is really taxing me, I do everything myself so processing a 39 dollar fang order or a 40 dollar decal order is just as much work and takes just as much time as doing a steering order .
So honestly I was not all that crazy about it because it's the busy season and I have a lot to do already, but I decided to let you people give me feedback on this so I can decide if I want to go with it. So what is the consensus ? Keep in mind I am not installing them, that would be your job , A little soap and water with a squeegee.

I thought that the cross brace was Mis installed as well but the fangs are always down regardless of what the main fina do at least on my set up so I don't understand what benefit/impact installing the brace that way would have.

Sorry I was answering another question from SWATSKI .
The earlier fins had to reverse the actuator to get them to rise at speed, The newer fins are the 7 hole version where you angle the fingers up for up at speed and angle the fingers down for them to stay down at speed, however with the fangs you would probably want the fins to stay down all the way since the fangs avoid steering resistance.
But everyone can try all sorts of variances , after all that is the benefit of the Ultimate steering is you get to set it the way you want to so you get it to do what you want it to.

Well I was asked if I would be interested in having a set of decals available for customers to add to their Ultimate fins, keep in mind they have to be a special decal called hi tack because of the decals being in the water.
My small decals are hi tack decals and they don't come cheep.
These decals would be placed on the plane side of the fins , since the fins are reversible you could place the decals on the 2 outside fins where they would show outward leaving the other side of the fins with the original decals and stampings facing inward.
This could also be done on the inner fins on a twin engine boat if you desired it.
These decals would run about 20 dollars each so it wouldn't be all that expensive to do 2 or even 4 of the surfaces.
My question is basically do people want something like this?
I can also get them made for the magnum fins and they have the 7th hole position on them so if you have the early 6 hole fins you automatically know where to drill the 7th hole.
The concern I have is all this fang stuff is really taxing me, I do everything myself so processing a 39 dollar fang order or a 40 dollar decal order is just as much work and takes just as much time as doing a steering order .
So honestly I was not all that crazy about it because it's the busy season and I have a lot to do already, but I decided to let you people give me feedback on this so I can decide if I want to go with it. So what is the consensus ? Keep in mind I am not installing them, that would be your job , A little soap and water with a squeegee.
I would say absolutely!!!
Please do not take it the wrong way, but I have always felt that the lack of optional colors/decals has been the only thing missing about the fins.
Actually I almost asked you about it recently when @ScarabMike posted his new "Hydro Carbon" mod:
First time working with Hydro Carbon. Im hooked.

View attachment 37033 View attachment 37034

@msavold I looked at some places near you. Here you go.

Its easy to do, and very inexpensive. Make sure you take your time looking for your perfect pattern, and also make sure they can duplicate it just in case you want more of the same done.

http://www.justdipit.net/
http://www.nostalgiaworksmd.com/

I'm would be interested in some decals. Had black TVs before I went to the Cobras and kind of like the aftermarket look vs the aluminum look.

The A K fangs are built differently and they are easier to make than the regular fangs so they don't cost as much.
They mount directly on the fins so the install is really fast and simple also maybe 1 or 2 minutes each.

Installation instructions for Cobra “FANGS” on the magnum A K series steering.

To install the FANGS on your magnum A K steering system, first be sure that the steering fins are set all the way down so that you can utilize the two bottom holes to mount the fang to the inside surface of the steering fin.

The fang should be installed with the flat side up and the round side down. This aligns the holes in the fang with the two bottom holes of the fins.

Install the button cap bolts from the outside and place the nylock nuts on the inside surface of the fang.

Do this process on both of your Magnum A K fins and you are finished with the install.

. It’s just that simple!

The whole setup on and under the Blue Angels tomorrow, in Annapolis-

-Glen

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
Ok can you reinstall the fangs on the correct side of the fins, inner surface not outer surface

Lol, I thought the ak system maybe configured that way, that is fangs outside of the fins.

Well first of all we want them as close to the reverse thrust opening as possible for the best effect and now that I see them on the outside I think they certainly look a lot cleaner inside.

Ok can you reinstall the fangs on the correct side of the fins, inner surface not outer surface

Have a 4:30 AM departure so likely will not adjust before using all day tomorrow-
Wasn't conformable with the tolerances particularly on the starboard nozzle. Like 1/8 inch to the steering bolt...and as you commented, just doesn't look right.

Please update the directions to indicate the internal mounting of the Fangs-

Giddy up...on the cutting edge...hold on! ;-)

You had me concerned that I was not telling people the fangs go inside the fins so I went back to your notice where I sent you the instructions and sure enough it did say where they mount.

Your order has been shipped via the U S post office, your tracking number is 95001150000000000. here are some directions for installing these on your Magnum A K series steering, thank you for choosing COBRA JET STEERING.

To install the FANGS on your magnum A K steering system, first be sure that the steering fins are set all the way down so that you can utilize the two bottom holes to " mount the fang to the inside surface of the steering fin. "

The fang should be installed with the flat side up and the round side down. This aligns the holes in the fang with the two bottom holes of the fins.

Install the button cap bolts from the outside and place the nylock nuts on the inside surface of the fang.

Do this process on both of your Magnum A K fins and you are finished with the install.

. It’s just that simple!
there was also 3 pictures for some reason my computer posts them but this site wipes them out however, 2 of those pictures clearly show the fangs mount inside of the fins.
I see no harm in doing it your way but just like the other fangs, in the beginning if there is a miscommunication or misunderstanding about the proper way to mount them I need to address it so others understand it is not correct, just like the locking tab mounting issue .

My bust-

Missed that when installing and when went back to re-read-

Working great now but will correct after today-

no problem, I'm glad you are enjoying them

Back