• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FANGS for Cobra Venoms - first impressions

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie Great write up! Your attachments do not show. Looking forward to your videos, don't loose your copter!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That makes sense Jeff, I was just going by memory when I was evaluating the fins. I will do the test again with the fins in the always deployed mode (as well as with a quadcopter filming if possible) and will post the results afterward. I like that there is not much that needs to be done to adjust them or remove the fangs. By the way, I had the tools ready just not the nerve or patience to try again after the quad copter issues/incident.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Understood, just come here the water is 80 and the air 90 already and I am actually impressed that the boat handled in neutral with the fins set to go up I honestly never tried them that way in that mode.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are pics I referenced earlier. There isn't much to see but process wise I did pre-assemble the fins and fangs separately which made installation a fast and easy for me, just held the sub-assemblies in place and tighened all the bolts holding them together and into the steering nozzles.

I took video of the install but don't know if I'll ever get around to editing and posting it, again there is not much to see and I found Jeff's written instructions to be clear. As far as the placement of the fangs retention tabs as I refer to them, placing them over the ridge on the nozzle made sense to me when looking at that sub assembly since they would serve no purpose of placed under the ridge. Going by the shape of the tabs And the stabilizer plate the are attached to I can see why some people may end up installing them under the ridge I sted of on top of it. That is, if you are installing by matching the curve of each piece to the other they match up better and earlier in the installation/bolt tightening process of the tabs are placed under the ridge.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie these are very clear pictures of the install, perfectly sized, too!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Ronnie I just realized that your early cobra venom 16x set may also be upgraded with the fangs if the base plates are upgraded to the newer magnum bases with the 4 holes. I think I have a few around here so I will check the hole patterns but I am fairly certain they are the same as the Magnum hole pattern.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually when I finally get the new sets of fangs made for the Magnum A K series steering," I checked yesterday by the way and they are still not ready" however once they are ready for sale those can also be used on the regular Magnum sets and the earlier 16x sets without upgrading the base plates, A big savings advantage over upgrading the bases" It became interesting once I started looking at the various applications. of the new fangs.

Flower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Actually when I finally get the new sets of fangs made for the Magnum A K series steering," I checked yesterday by the way and they are still not ready" however once they are ready for sale those can also be used on the regular Magnum sets and the earlier 16x sets without upgrading the base plates, A big savings advantage over upgrading the bases" It became interesting once I started looking at the various applications. of the new fangs.
jeff, put me on the list for the new fangs for the AK Series please. Looking forward to getting them on.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
jeff, put me on the list for the new fangs for the AK Series please. Looking forward to getting them on.
You know what they say... Once you go FANGS you'll never go back.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I know they are currently working on my order, I am hoping to have them and my next run of the regular fangs soon. They sent me an email today advising me that they were working on the program for the computer to tell the laser what to cut. After all the parts are cut they have to be run in a tumbler for several hours.
When I get them the new A K fangs will not need a lot of work like the other fangs need so those will be available once I have them in my broken hands, the Ultimate fangs have to be formed as do the locking tabs, and there goes my hands again. I spent all day yesterday building tie rods for the A K systems that really just kills my hands , and today I did a ton of EZ locks, yea another hand killer. I guess the jet skies don't help my poor hands either. It sucks to get old.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I dont remember which version I have, I know they are spring loaded. I need to get down to my boat and get a pic

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I joined FANG Nation today... @Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jeff thanks for the super fast shipping. I have an older pair without holes, the template Was spot on and had no problems drilling. Can't wait to try them out. Pretty sure I installed correctly. Thanks for the bungee idea...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FANG Nation.
LMFAO.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
looks good to me

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First day out with the Cobra Ultimates with fangs. Loved it. I was able to go through a long no wake zone without fighting the steering and looking like a drunk man like I was last season. I was able track right behind all the other boats in the channel. Even let my wife drive in the channel for a bit. Definitely see a difference between these compared to the TVs I took off. TVs still a great product but this combo is better for me and my inexperience at the helm. Only thing I could not tell the difference was reverse. It was pretty windy out so that could have played a part in it. Does the reverse assistance work in the reverse neutral or should I give it a little throttle? It feel weird when I give in throttle in reverse so always let up on it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
These direct the reverse thrust so if you are in neutral there is nothing to direct .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wind makes it pretty difficult to control your boat I guess you will need to get some more time behind the wheel with less wind also if you have a top up the wind will cause a lot of issues. In reverse the fangs hold the thrust under the boat better so it responds better . You will obviously need to take into account the wind and current as usual.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the reverse assistance work in the reverse neutral or should I give it a little throttle? It feel weird when I give in throttle in reverse so always let up on it.
I wouldn't slam it down in reverse but when maneuvering around I push it fore or aft with the same authority.