• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FANGS for Cobra Venoms - first impressions

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Should be ready Monday or Tuesday, what is messing me up , well besides the manufacturer dragging his feet , lol, I have a doctors appointment Monday for my wrist so that is definitely getting in the way of hopping over the bridge and picking up the parts plus I need to do a simple install page.
But it will come together this week.
Also on that note my test person said they were going to do a drone video of their boat however the wind has been pretty uncooperative the last few days, I came home early today for that reason alone.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First weekend out with my new Cobra Fangs. Great product. Without cursing, thats the best endorsement I can give it. I thought going from no fins to fins was night and day handling?! Now going from Cobras, to Cobras with fangs it feels the same way. Great control, great straight line tracking, nice easy steering. I love them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Glad you like it thank you, now for the news on my order for fangs, here is the actual email from my manufacturer . I was not really happy about this so tomorrow I am going to bug the hell out of them.

Jeff,
Good afternoon again.
I checked on your parts, they are not ready now but should be tomorrow afternoon.
I will let you know as soon as they are ready to go.
Have a great afternoon.
Carolyn

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I picked up the fangs today, came back from Tampa and spent hours in the heat forming the regular fangs, I then wen to form the locking tabs when I opened the box I found them to be totally unacceptable, the edges were sharp and they were not tumbled properly and they would not even fit in the jig so I now have to send those parts back to be corrected. I have some locking tabs left over from the previous order so I can fill about 10 orders of twin sets or 20 orders of single sets I also picked up the magnum A K fangs , so I finally have those in stock. I will try to remember who was waiting for them and do a install page for them as soon as I calm down, I am furious about the delays and the improper parts right now. I need to cool of, I was sweating and working my but off trying to get all these ready just to find the locking tabs were not right.

Strassenfest

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Jeff, appreciate all the hard work you have put into these for us! Sucks that other businesses don't have the same work ethics that you do. Still interested in the AK Fangs when they're ready!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm good on those right now it's the little locking tabs for the regular fangs that they did not clean up properly, I guess I will be sanding the edges one at a time for a while. I can handle the order if you email me your email address

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To order the Magnum A K series fangs email me with your location the price is 39 dollars for the set plus 6 for shipping in the usa you must have the magnum A K series steering on your 2015 0r 2016 24 foot articulating keel jet boat to utilize these.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To order the Magnum A K series fangs email me with your location the price is 39 dollars for the set plus 6 for shipping in the usa you must have the magnum A K series steering on your 2015 0r 2016 24 foot articulating keel jet boat to utilize these.
These are truly old school prices, Jeff!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Order placed!
Thanks Jeff-

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The A K fangs are built differently and they are easier to make than the regular fangs so they don't cost as much.
They mount directly on the fins so the install is really fast and simple also maybe 1 or 2 minutes each.

Installation instructions for Cobra “FANGS” on the magnum A K series steering.

To install the FANGS on your magnum A K steering system, first be sure that the steering fins are set all the way down so that you can utilize the two bottom holes to mount the fang to the inside surface of the steering fin.

The fang should be installed with the flat side up and the round side down. This aligns the holes in the fang with the two bottom holes of the fins.

Install the button cap bolts from the outside and place the nylock nuts on the inside surface of the fang.

Do this process on both of your Magnum A K fins and you are finished with the install.

. It’s just that simple!

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Awesome Jeff!!!
I'm curious about your thoughts on spec's relating to alignment of nozzles to articulating keel rudder and Magnum AK fins.
Reason being, when I installed my AK fins I was curious and used a tape measure to measure the front inside distance and the back inside distance between the AK fins and they are pigeon toed inward about a half inch. Meaning the distance between the front of the fins was less than the rear of the fins by about a half inch. Seemed like a lot to me...

Also visually its difficult to tell if the nozzles are aligned straight with the keel rudder. Meaning the keel rudder appears to my cross eyes to be more aligned with one of the nozzles than the other or not even between the two. Can you recommend good process or procedure to "sync" everything up?
My thought is that if the AK fins are toed in then the nozzles must be toed out based on how they are mounted, unless by chance for performance reasons they are purposely designed to be aligned this way?

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The nozzles on a regular twin jet have a small amount of side play for free floating , the thrust from the pumps usually sets them straight, with a single tie rod connected to the right hand nozzle you would have only one nozzle free-floating " the left side" with the other one attached to the rudder " , I pre set the second tie rod at approximately 12.25 inches center of the end to the center of the other end . Obviously the tie rods are adjustable if you want to center the nozzles you will need to disconnect the tie rods at either the nozzles or the rudder, do a regular alignment using a straight edge with the wheel centered, and adjust the steering cables as needed, then adjust the tie rods as needed also. My preference it to have the leading ends of the fins towed in slightly for tracking like an arrow head so they cut through the water easier, having them towed out could cause a high speed wobble Honestly if it's working good don't mess with it . Remember if it isn't broken don't break it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I have
Your cross brace is installed backwards. The 2 "fingers" need to face the front of the boat. Look at the pics posted on page 1 of this thread.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well he has the older style and he has them set to go up at speed, if he adds the fangs he can have them set to stay down all the time and get all sorts of control , plant the back of the boat for water sports or rough conditions and get really nice power steering plus more reverse control, the base plates are not predrilled on that style I do have new plates he can install or he can drill the ones he has I also offer to drill them free when you order the fangs if you send them to me.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also an update on the parts I returned to the manufacturer, I was informed that I will have those locking tabs today so no problem they took care of the issue I had with them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your cross brace is installed backwards. The 2 "fingers" need to face the front of the boat. Look at the pics posted on page 1 of this thread.
My bad....... you are good Evil

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was my first thought, too!
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jeff - thanks for clarifying. I did not think of that option - having it set up such that the fins would go up, but the fangs would stay down at speed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other