• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fire Port

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone use an extinguisher meant for the engine fire port? Typical cheap extinguishers are not meant to smother in port to suffocate fire, rather to be aimed at base if flames directly.

Seems like it would be wise to have a fire port extinguisher, but most I can find are huge & expensive, and not appropriately sized for a "smaller" recreational boat.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I didn't want to spend another $200 on a fire extinguisher, but after doing some research I decided it was the right thing to do. I just bought a 5lb Halotron extinguisher, it has a nozzle that fits through the fireport. Right now I just have it sitting in the compartment near the battery till I decide how to mount it. Buckeye 75550 Halotron Hand Held Fire Extinguisher with Aluminum Valve, 5.5 lbs Agent Capacity, 4-1/4" Diameter x 6-1/2" Width x 16-3/8" Height: Science Lab Emergency Response Equipment: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks.
Curious, you noted after doing some research:
Can you share any research findings that led to your choice?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only researched about the fire port in general, and the types of fire extinguishers. Basically if there is a fire in your engine bay, you really dont want to open the hatch and give it a huge big gulp of air (think of the movie backdraft). Thus the whole point of the fire port. And as you know, a regular fire extinguisher will not be effective thru the fire port as it won't smother the fire. So I researched different types of fire extinguishers, to find the cheapest that would be effective, but with enough volume to smother, but to not take up too much space, and with a flexible nozzle that would easily fit through the fireport. So I came up with Halotron, 5lbs. And the Buckeye model I posted was still the cheapest option I found at $200 and had a nozzle that fit. Buckeye is a legit company, and made in USA. If you find a better option than I did though, post it here for others. And man did I HATE spending $200 for a fire extinguisher! But made me feel responsible at least lol.