• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OVERSIZED FIRE PORT FOR C02 FIRE EXTINGUISHER

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So I though I was being smart by purchasing a clean agent fire extinguisher (CO2) in the event of a engine fire. Turns out the discharge nozzle is about an 1/8" to wide for the port. I haven't been able to find a smaller nozzle (horn) for the extinguisher, so I'm looking for a larger fire port. Anyone have the same issue, or may have a solution from experience? Muchos gracias in advance.

Attachments

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe just cut the nozzle back to where it will fit? For your use you really don’t need much of a nozzle to direct the gas like you would in open air.
I have a halotron one that is smaller and just fits in the port.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I though I was being smart by purchasing a clean agent fire extinguisher (CO2) in the event of a engine fire. Turns out the discharge nozzle is about an 1/8" to wide for the port. I haven't been able to find a smaller nozzle (horn) for the extinguisher, so I'm looking for a larger fire port. Anyone have the same issue, or may have a solution from experience? Muchos gracias in advance.
Seems to me the horn is designed to spread the CO2 gas as it exits the the cylinder. Wonder if you can just remove the horn completely and just stuff the pipe into the port and discharge it. You’d still be flooding the engine compartment with CO2.

Or as @AZMark suggests just cut the horn back until it fits.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Whe
Where did you get the CO2 extinguisher?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Maybe just cut the nozzle back to where it will fit? For your use you really don’t need much of a nozzle to direct the gas like you would in open air.
I have a halotron one that is smaller and just fits in the port.
Yes, I've thought of that as a last case scenario. Thank you

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Whe

Where did you get the CO2 extinguisher?
Originally I ordered an Amerex from the Fire extinguisher warehouse, but they were on backorder. So I got mine from U-Line. You need the bracket above to meet USCG requirements. It's a beast but helps keep the extinguisher in place.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks like a 5 pounder, might I inquire as to the cost of the individual items? I may be able to source a holder, but after seeing a near-miss collision this past weekend, I'm not sure how much longer I want to put off this additional improvement

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That looks like a 5 pounder, might I inquire as to the cost of the individual items? I may be able to source a holder, but after seeing a near-miss collision this past weekend, I'm not sure how much longer I want to put off this additional improvement
The extinguisher was $258 which included shipping. The bracket was around $65. Expensive, but worth it considering you won't have to clean all that yellow dry agent all over your engine bay.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The halotron, a kinder friendlier version of Halon is a great extinguishing agent, instantly displaces all of the oxygen.

What I like about a CO2 extinguisher is that in addition to displacing the oxygen, it radically decreases the temperature of the fire area, which in an enclosed engine bay I think would be beneficial.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The halotron, a kinder friendlier version of Halon is a great extinguishing agent, instantly displaces all of the oxygen.

What I like about a CO2 extinguisher is that in addition to displacing the oxygen, it radically decreases the temperature of the fire area, which in an enclosed engine bay I think would be beneficial.
Yes, and you need to wear gloves or it will freeze your hand. I’m going to buy an insulated nozzle which prevents that.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The issue I have with fire ports isn’t just the size of the fire port but rather on most boats is they are located in awkward areas. 99.9% of handheld portable extinguishers are meant to be discharged in the upright position. By having to lay an extinguisher on its side you’re not able to get all or most of the agent out. I really wished they change the location on these boats.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seems to me the horn is designed to spread the CO2 gas as it exits the the cylinder. Wonder if you can just remove the horn completely and just stuff the pipe into the port and discharge it. You’d still be flooding the engine compartment with CO2.

Or as @AZMark suggests just cut the horn back until it fits.
You do not want to remove the horn and use the CO2 extinguisher without it. The orifice on the discharge tube is designed to work in conjunction with the horn. The small orifice holes are perpendicular to the tube. If discharged by themselves you would get a very fine stream of CO2 to the sides and not more of a “fogging” pattern out of the horn which is 90 degrees of the orifice and will greatly spread CO2 out.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You do not want to remove the horn and use the CO2 extinguisher without it. The orifice on the discharge tube is designed to work in conjunction with the horn. The small orifice holes are perpendicular to the tube. If discharged by themselves you would get a very fine stream of CO2 to the sides and not more of a “fogging” pattern out of the horn which is 90 degrees of the orifice and will greatly spread CO2 out.
Thanks for the input @haknslash!

So it sounds like just cutting the horn down to where it could be pushed through the fire port would be the way to go?