• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First impression

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only see a drain for the lower cup holders unless they run to the same spot.
Yes they tee off together and run to the lower deck

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well if u like speed as in 50 plus then yamaha might not be the boat for u. You might to get there but it would be at wide open throttle. My 08 with do between 46 to 48 depending on loading but very very very rarely do i run wot. we mainly cruise between 20 and 35. Well.. except for this past fall when my old girl had to show @Neutron @AndyD and @Eric Ballard that those new boats aint got nothing on my old girl on the way back to new bern.... it could have had something to do with my 9 year really really having to pee but still! The red makes it faster!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they tee off together and run to the lower deck
Thanks I'll take them out then. My first outing was a leak test also so I didn't want to take any chances.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well if u like speed as in 50 plus then yamaha might not be the boat for u. You might to get there but it would be at wide open throttle. My 08 with do between 46 to 48 depending on loading but very very very rarely do i run wot. we mainly cruise between 20 and 35. Well.. except for this past fall when my old girl had to show @Neutron @AndyD and @Eric Ballard that those new boats aint got nothing on my old girl on the way back to new bern.... it could have had something to do with my 9 year really really having to pee but still! The red makes it faster!
lol that's funny. All the boat test have them at 49 do 52mph so I would assume I should be close with the cool weather temps.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lol that's funny. All the boat test have them at 49 do 52mph so I would assume I should be close with the cool weather temps.
Boattest and Yamaha tend to test in the middle of Winter and get their numbers which usually come a bit on the high side. At least that seems to be the trend w/"sport" jet boats where top speed is kind of a sensitive topic for some.
Now - if you are talking about dedicated wake boats and dedicated ski boats (which can cost twice as much) no one even mentions top speed, it means nothing.
Go figure, lol.
I think of max RPM and top speed more as potentially useful indicator of the systems health - if you are troubleshooting drivetrain/pump issues. But - 7,500 RPM and 46mph is a good result regardless - especially with some head wind - and even at low 45F temp some NC humidity will kill some of the speed. Nothing to worry about, IMO.

EDIT: I missed the post where you said it was a CA model.
--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If I correctly recall my own experiences with new engines and I have had a bunch, I believe they get faster after the first 10 hours of breakin So don't push it too hard in the beginning I almost thought the computer was set to hold it back for the first 10 hours but that may just be coincidence.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Eh'hem...if I'm not mistaken I do believe that is you in my rear view.... :DIMG_5524.JPG

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pictures make it true :happy:

I can see a spot of red way back there

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear"...?
LOL

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Objects in mirror are loosing!"
20171002_155655.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I found the sticker it's a 4 star idk why we need that here this isn't California. And the ride plates don't protrude below the hull. I bought this thinking it was a 50 mph boat (I like speed).
Unfortunately the Cali model has more restrictions and usually runs 2-3 mph slower then the 3 star model. Half tank of gas one person on board on a calm day you probably still hit 50 mph but people on and a full tank of fuel you probably are looking in that 46-48 mph range. My boat loaded down will still hit 50 most days but it's the 3 star model.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

So we just moved up to Greenville NC last week. Where are the good spots to boat, put in, etc?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately the Cali model has more restrictions and usually runs 2-3 mph slower then the 3 star model. Half tank of gas one person on board on a calm day you probably still hit 50 mph but people on and a full tank of fuel you probably are looking in that 46-48 mph range. My boat loaded down will still hit 50 most days but it's the 3 star model.
@Weeb I missed the post where you say it is a CA (4 star) model.
Those are some 2mph or so slower.

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@KyleP ... there are numerous places around the raleigh area... falls lake... kerr lake... jordon lake... lake gaston. And many smaller ones. Being in gville you can put in on the river on the east side of town and cruise to little washington.. (i have done this on a ski but not my boat. The river is kinda narrow up near gville).
This fall a few of us launched from new bern and went out to cape lookout light house. And there is a charleston sc run every spring. Your pretty much surrounded!

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@KyleP ... there are numerous places around the raleigh area... falls lake... kerr lake... jordon lake... lake gaston. And many smaller ones. Being in gville you can put in on the river on the east side of town and cruise to little washington.. (i have done this on a ski but not my boat. The river is kinda narrow up near gville).
This fall a few of us launched from new bern and went out to cape lookout light house. And there is a charleston sc run every spring. Your pretty much surrounded!
Awesome thanks for the info!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I correctly recall my own experiences with new engines and I have had a bunch, I believe they get faster after the first 10 hours of breakin So don't push it too hard in the beginning I almost thought the computer was set to hold it back for the first 10 hours but that may just be coincidence.
This is what I'm hopping but I don't remember that being the case w my 99 xl1200 wave runner.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eh'hem...if I'm not mistaken I do believe that is you in my rear view.... :DView attachment 66854
You guys are too funny. This is my problem nothing passes me in my truck with a ford 7.3 diesel and I have a lead foot I'll have to transfer to my lead to my hands.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we just moved up to Greenville NC last week. Where are the good spots to boat, put in, etc?
I've only been here a year so my knowledge other than lake Norman is minimal. I'm a transplant from the north trying to get away from the snow and have longer boating seasons. Luckily the guys familiar with your area chimed in. If you want to get on lake Norman I think the lake Norman state park would be the closest ramp for you.