• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First impression

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weeb I missed the post where you say it is a CA (4 star) model.
Those are some 2mph or so slower.

--
With that being said I would think I would need to push more rpm to maintain slower speeds which means more fuel so the cali model doesn't save anything in the long run. Also you mention top speeds of wake boards not being posted. I'm older so I won't be wake boarding and my girls are all grown up. Just as a note to future buyers the reason I went with an ar instead of the sx is because when people get it the boat from the side the first thing they will grab is the Bimini. I would rather have them grab a big piece of metal then an aluminum pole and bend it.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With that being said I would think I would need to push more rpm to maintain slower speeds which means more fuel so the cali model doesn't save anything in the long run. Also you mention top speeds of wake boards not being posted. I'm older so I won't be wake boarding and my girls are all grown up. Just as a note to future buyers the reason I went with an ar instead of the sx is because when people get it the boat from the side the first thing they will grab is the Bimini. I would rather have them grab a big piece of metal then an aluminum pole and bend it.
I agree completely on the merits of a tower in these boats! definitely a plus.
The AR towers have their issues..., but that's been already covered somewhere else here and I don't want to dwell on it...

As far as speed - dedicated wake/surf/ski boat owners don't pay any attention to top speed (they have better things to do! LOL)

In the CARB 4-star model the speed will track with the RPM, just as in a non-CARB. Your max RPM are a tad low and the top speed is tracking with that. These boats are direct drive w/no gear reduction - so RPM determines speed - everything else being equal (I believe the impellers are the exact same pitch in CARB boats).
So, everything else being equal, the CARB boats have better fuel economy and range - no question about it - albeit probably not by much.

There are things you can do to improve the max RPM and speed in these boats, but not by much.

--

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the boat out again, nice NC day 68 degrees. She still only maxed out at 47 in a calm no wind spot so I guess that's what I'll live w for now. She also tracked straight better although the spoke on the wheel was at two o'clock instead of 12 where it was when I made all my measurements but it wasn't pulling at 5500 rpms. Part of it could just be a little slop in the steering but I could take my hands off the wheel and it would cruise straight. I think I'm going to upgrade to the mega fangs. I think I'm going to have to get a part time job to pay for gas though lol. Thanks again for all the feedback.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I had a super calm day yesterday in my 210 and got up to 43.5 with half a tank. I would imagine you should be getting a lot better in the 240.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was checking some things and saw a top speed of 53 mph in the trip info. The marina took it for a test drive before I got it I wonder if they hit that somehow my speedometer never showed that while I was driving.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Musta been on fumes, no gear or anchor, and a 90lb person, driving with a tailwind, downhill. Lol

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I took the boat out again, nice NC day 68 degrees. She still only maxed out at 47 in a calm no wind spot so I guess that's what I'll live w for now. She also tracked straight better although the spoke on the wheel was at two o'clock instead of 12 where it was when I made all my measurements but it wasn't pulling at 5500 rpms. Part of it could just be a little slop in the steering but I could take my hands off the wheel and it would cruise straight. I think I'm going to upgrade to the mega fangs. I think I'm going to have to get a part time job to pay for gas though lol. Thanks again for all the feedback.
If you can remove your hand from the steering wheel and the boat tracks in a straight line then it is tracking perfect , as for the steering wheel being off center That is cable adjustment and it was probably that way from the factory and yes there is some play in the helm , As for fuel you can expect the fuel to go as fast as you go, run hard and it will suck up fuel quite rapidly drive easy and it will be a lot better on fuel consumption. If I cruise at 35 I usually run 5 gal an hour on my 1800 engines in my skies but if I go out and run them hard jumping waves and running over 60 m p h etc It will burn that amount up in half the time.