• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Out With Cobra Jet Steering, some concerns /// fixed ///

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had Cobra Jet Steering on my boat now for almost a month, so it is time for me to give my personal opinion.

Once I had them adjusted properly they work fantastic. They do not decrease speed at all and the added steering at no wake and pulling watersports is fantastic, let alone WOT. If the weight load in the boat is evened out, I can let go of the steering wheel and they will keep the boat tracking straight. It also feels that the boat jumps on plane a bit quicker. Hard turning is tight and sharp. I have them in the fully down position.

Last night I was out and ran into someone who has an AR240 on the lake. They don't have any steering mods. He asked me about them since he saw them on the boat. I let him drive my boat around the lake once as I drove his. The steering performance was very noticeable on his boat and felt sloppy. Perhaps I am just used to the fins now. I gave him the info and he said he is going to get a set right away. Also suggested he get on this forum.

CJS are the only ones I have tried and I am glad that I did purchase them. Finally Jeff, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC was fantastic and emailed me back and forth when I was deciding and squaring away the installation. Money well spent.
You mentioned "once I had them adjusted properly"... what did you notice with the steering before you had them adjusted properly, to let you know that they needed readjusted?

(I think mine need readjusted, feels like it pulls to the left sometimes and by eyeballing it, it looks like my starboard fin might be towed-out a bit - unfortunately I probably need to take the fins off again to do the level against the nozzles, and create the tow-in, so haven't gotten to it yet).

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was the pulling a bit when I evened out the weight. and wandering. It is critical, per Jeff, that you align the buckets flush with the level and then toe in each slightly, I did an 1/8th of an inch.

Last edited:

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am about ready to finally order the Trim Tabs. LectroTabs. I was going to before, but I had to put the brakes on the spending last month a bit. I am debating on t either the MLC-1 and ALC-1. Big price difference. Russ mentioned that he would think the 10" x 14" would be what I should use. I am also hoping that they will still give me room for the wake device on the eyelet.

We will be in Lake michigan in a couple a weeks, I am hoping to have them installed by then, but I don't want to rush the install.
I wanted to pull the trigger on the group buy, but didn't have my boat in my possession yet, so I couldn't see if they would work with the wakebooster. After driving my boat, I wonder if I really need them on small water or they are just a big water thing.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use mostly on small water and I wouldn't go without them now. Especially water sports and low wake maneuvering

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors you should edit the title of your post to include /// fixed /// so if someone is searching they know if they look they'll see an answer,

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had Cobra Jet Steering on my boat now for almost a month, so it is time for me to give my personal opinion.

Once I had them adjusted properly they work fantastic. They do not decrease speed at all and the added steering at no wake and pulling watersports is fantastic, let alone WOT. If the weight load in the boat is evened out, I can let go of the steering wheel and they will keep the boat tracking straight. It also feels that the boat jumps on plane a bit quicker. Hard turning is tight and sharp. I have them in the fully down position.

Last night I was out and ran into someone who has an AR240 on the lake. They don't have any steering mods. He asked me about them since he saw them on the boat. I let him drive my boat around the lake once as I drove his. The steering performance was very noticeable on his boat and felt sloppy. Perhaps I am just used to the fins now. I gave him the info and he said he is going to get a set right away. Also suggested he get on this forum.

CJS are the only ones I have tried and I am glad that I did purchase them. Finally Jeff, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC was fantastic and emailed me back and forth when I was deciding and squaring away the installation. Money well spent.
What lake? Any sandbars? How deeps is the water?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am on all lakes around here. Cass, Loon, Orchard, Fenton, Maceday, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, Portage, etc. etc.

Yes there are sandbars on most of them. Some are shallow and some are over 120'deep. I prefer Orchard lately, because it is the second largest lake around great watersports lake with several nice sandbars. IF you can get on.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas Well I added that to the thread, hopefully that is what you were referring to.

Wisewaves

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was the pulling a bit when I evened out the weight. and wandering. It is critical, per Jeff, that you align the buckets flush with the level and then toe out each slightly, I did an 1/8th of an inch.
I’m going to install mine next week too. When you “toe out” you are making the tie rods 1/8 in longer? Is that correct? Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With the nozzles aligned evenly and the tie rods adjusted to match up with the mounting hole in the rudder and the mounting bosses on the back of the nozzles. Also on 24 foot boats the clearance is tight so you place the 10mm bolt into the 2 tie rod ends before sliding them in under the hull and place some thread lock compound in the hole at the rudder.
And note that the original tie rod has a left hand threaded end so have that end attached to the rudder . Then when you are attaching the tie rod ends to the NOZZLES you simply extent the nozzle end 1/2 turn out, this extends the distance very slightly , takes the play out of the steering cables and secures the nozzles with a very slight tow in on the leading side so the fins leading edges are towed inward making the steering cut through the water like an arrow head at speed. so the boat tracks straight. And with the second tie rod both sides of the helm and both steering cables are doing the work rather than just the right side . This provides redundancy and balance to the system.

Wisewaves

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the nozzles aligned evenly and the tie rods adjusted to match up with the mounting hole in the rudder and the mounting bosses on the back of the nozzles. Also on 24 foot boats the clearance is tight so you place the 10mm bolt into the 2 tie rod ends before sliding them in under the hull and place some thread lock compound in the hole at the rudder.
And note that the original tie rod has a left hand threaded end so have that end attached to the rudder . Then when you are attaching the tie rod ends to the NOZZLES you simply extent the nozzle end 1/2 turn out, this extends the distance very slightly , takes the play out of the steering cables and secures the nozzles with a very slight tow in on the leading side so the fins leading edges are towed inward making the steering cut through the water like an arrow head at speed. so the boat tracks straight. And with the second tie rod both sides of the helm and both steering cables are doing the work rather than just the right side . This provides redundancy and balance to the system.
Thanks Jeff!

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just installed my Cobra and I'm experiencing similar pull to the left when up on plane. It appears that I may also have some alignment issues to correct. In reviewing this thread I've read both toe-in and toe-out, so which is it?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just installed my Cobra and I'm experiencing similar pull to the left when up on plane. It appears that I may also have some alignment issues to correct. In reviewing this thread I've read both toe-in and toe-out, so which is it?
Additionally, my Cobra directions said to install with no toe on either jets on the 21'. I do have a lot of counter steer to the left but I've always chalked that up to the batteries / kid / wife / cooler being on that side vs. me / life jackets / sub woofer / buoys

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It should have tow-IN. Which means the fin edge closest to the bow points ever so slightly inward, and the back edge of the Fin near the stern points ever so slightly outward.

Update, after installing, I did a lot of staring/one eye closed, and realized that my starboard fin actually looked like it was slightly towed out. I adjusted that fin so it looked like it was slightly towed in, and since then the boat has steered noticeably better.

Remember if you're using the visual method like I did, the tow-in should be VERY slight!

foozed

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Same here after a much closer and accurate assessment I realized one of my jets was 2-3 mm out while the other straight.
I’ve put them back to neutral and will test tomorrow.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a word: Yes.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain