• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fishing in Bimini

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about vodka, tequila? Is it cheap and available or just rum?
They are plenty available but I don't know anyone that has purchased any while in Bimini, so no help on the cost.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This weekend I went to our local Sportmans Warehouse and purchased two saltwater spin reel and rod combos for $39.99 each, regular price. These are Abu Garcia Bruiser series, reel BR406 and rod BRS72MH, and came with 17lb line already on the reel, http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Abu-Garcia-Cardinal-Bruiser-Spinning-Rod-and-Reel-Combo/productDetail/Spinning-Combos/prod999901366106/cat101052. I went with a 2 piece rod to make it easier to store in the ski locker, you have to flex the end to get a 7' rod to fit in the ski locker and last year we broke the tip off one my buddies rods. These should be perfect for shallow reef fish with the goal of catching yellow tail snapper.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that looks a lot like my walmart specials. break down in two pcs also. Very nice!!!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last year we caught Yellowtail Snapper with nothing but a cheap spinning reel, a few hooks and a package of squid in less than 20' of water. This year I plan to try some of the chum and techniques shown in this video in deeper water in hopes of catching larger Yellowtail.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rule of thumb catching fish, bigger hooks with bigger bait catch bigger fish.. ;)

internationalmarinemike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are plenty of fish right out front of the Sands. I would troll right when you get out of the main channel and head south. There will be Mahi, Wahoo, etc. Afternoon bite gets decent of you get up late in the day. We normally like to head down to honeymoon harbor in the afternoon with the wives. You can sit in the sand and play with all the rays. They will eat small pieces of ballyhoo out of your hand all day long. It is a great place to chill out and have a few cold beers.

http://www.divetime.com/photos/Rays/Honeymoon_Harbor_-_Bimini_10337.html

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@internationalmarinemike typically on Tuesday of our trip we have our pot luck gathering at Honeymoon Harbor, we call it the Honeymoon Harbor beach bash. @Bruce brings the smoked ham and everyone else brings a side dish to share. If you happen to fly over, maybe the day of our pot luck would be a good day, there will be plenty of us willing to take you down to Honeymoon Harbor.

Here is a picture from last years gathering. This years gathering will be almost twice as big as last years.
2014 Bimini Honeymoon Harbor.jpg

Last edited:

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What size Mahi are around that time of year, we talking chicken Mahi's or bull's?

internationalmarinemike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There have been some big Mahi this year. I saw one last week in Bimini that was 68 pounds. My son got some Yellowfin Tuna last week in the Bahamas that were in the 60 pound range.