• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fix for Connext Battery Voltage Issue - Confirmed

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly what I was wondering, thank you! So circling backback to the original "fix" issue...if you only have the SYS battery on during "float" mode then the Connext reading is of the STS battery only giving us the voltage of the battery being used. Like you said, once both batteries are switched on then it displays the voltage of the entire system(series) of batteries. Yes it would be nice to have both displayed on the screen but it sounds like we can determine the value individually or combined depending on which are switched on at time of the reading. Great to know and thanks for everyone's input!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After messing with the DVSR this weekend, I think I might have to disagree with you @MicahH. The readings are def being affected one way or another. Before the battery fix, I was getting 12.4 & 12.5 respectively on sys/house readings. Now since the fix, readings are 12.9 & 12. 6 respectively. Don't ask me why system battery is so high in reading. But @Mainah pointed out that could be a result of the state of charge in the battery. The issue is, if you had just the sys battery turned on, you would not be able to see the battery readings as the connect needs to be on to do so. So it does make sense that when floating, connext is only reading the house batteries as those are usually the only ones on during float stage. When moving, the fix allows you to see both banks readings more accurately. Which I think many of us are chasing for here.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh ya I forgot to mention that when I turned all battery banks to on position while in storage/float mode, I was able to read both batteries. So I guess for someone like @Mainah who leaves all batteries on while floating, he can monitor all banks more accurately thru the connext.

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would definitely be nice to have individual battery readings...kinda seems like the goal they may have been trying to reach by giving two separate displays. Thanks for the update. So unless we go about the fix then we'all still only have a total system voltage value displayed, correct?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I believe so. The odd thing is when all batteries are on, I do get a slight different readings for both batteries on the Connext display. Usually something like Sys 12.6v House 12.5v. That is the intriguing part to me. The other issue I think might be where since everything is getting relayed to the Connext display there is a loss of voltage reading some where?

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would make sense for an issue that doesn't make sense I don't think I'm electronically savvy enough to attempt this mod. I can install and wire sound systems but this may be a bit too technical for me. A software update with fixes would be a cool feature.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm just like you on that aspect @MicahH. I am alway nervous to mess with stock wires. But I was like shoot if I can mess with stock speaker wires why not system ones. But to be honest if you follow @Mainah directions, it's pretty straight forward and easy. But I do understand what you are saying tho. Always nerve racking. I really love having this AR and knowing about this forum. I have done some much on my own now that has saved me probably thousands because of this forum. Plus the experience of DIY is pretty exciting now when I used to hate it on my last boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The issue is not software, the maker of Connext got the software/firmware part right. The issue is the factory wiring. Software/firmware can't fix it. If you can wire speakers you can do this mod although good waterproof connections are highly recommended so please no electrical tape.

The little black box that reads the voltage and sends a computer signal to the screen has two wires going into it for voltage reading. Those two wires are to read the two different voltages. However if you connect those two wires to the same feed then you will get the same result. Essentially this is what is going on stock since the two inputs have continuity. The only way to fix it is by changing the wiring. As to why do the displayed voltages sometimes differ by a tenth stock even when connected there is continuity? Lots of possible reasons from computer rounding to resistance prior to the black box to resistance within the black box. Ultimately the issue is the wiring and once fixed you will have a very accurate voltage reading at that point in time. Keep in mind this is not SoH (State of Health) it is only voltage at that point in time which can be impacted by charging, surface charge, high current draw, temperature, etc. SOH exists in some consumer devices in the form of Lithium Ion batteries like in your smart phone or laptop that contain components in the battery that allow your battery level to be displayed as a percentage even when charging. That is why there are more than two pins on those kinds of batteries.

My point is that in order for a voltage reading in the tenths or hundredths to mean something you have to know how to interpret it and evaluate the other factors impacting it. If you do this mod and you fully charge a new marine starting battery and an AGM they will likely read different voltages because they have different nominal floating point voltages by nature of their chemistry and construction. The same goes for exactly the same batteries as there are many factors like cycle life, circuit draw, circuit resistance, circuit noise, etc that can impact the reading.

Last edited:

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been convinced then! Lol! I think I must try this mod now. Mainah, your instruction look extremely complete, thorough and detailed. It seems everyone who has attempted this mod is successful as well so if I can wire subs and amps then this should be in my wheelhouse as well. I totally agree FloJet, love my AR and all the money saving tips I've gotten off the forum. Great community here!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep us posted. Remember to solder the wires together and put heat shrink on them for better connection and protection. I'm hoping to get my Led's done in next few weeks and than start on my ribbon delete mod. Just installed the cobra fins/fangs yesterday. I'm liking the looks of them but sucks I have to wait months before I can test them out. Monday getting the tower powder coated grey :) Just so much to do till summer lol

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will. I'm also going to install an LED drain plug. I installed the Cobra's last spring and love them. Real nice handling difference. What ribbon are you removing?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I cannot wait to try out the cobra jet steering system. Spring is too far away geez. I will be doing the ribbon delete that some of the members here have done. Supposedly it can give a boost of 200 rpm. More for people at high altitudes tho I believe. But still want to do it. Basically changing out the constricted filter in the manifold and replacing it with a riva insert to make the engine breathe better. @swatski can tell you more about it if needed as he has already done and tested it.

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just completed this mod and battery voltages are reading correct. Pretty simple with the instructions. Thank you @Mainah!

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I have to wait to get my boat out of storage..... Can't wait to try the voltage mod! Thanks gents! I'm mounting my 10" sub under the helm, anyone have a good place to put a grill or vent in to improve sound? Thought about under the wheel but was thinking of cutting a hole in the actual folding door to let the bass reflect back out. I could cover with a nice 10" sub grill and provide sound and colling ventilation. I rarely open the door to bridge for the extra cushion up front and like the sub being up there. It's a 10" bazooka which sounds great with the system for cost and convenience. Just a thought:)

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need to do this mod before Bimini and wire up a dual bank charger...

My wallet is getting lighter and lighter!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This might be the cheapest of all mods. 5' or so long wires to the dvsr and batteries. Maybe shorter not sure how much wiring I used.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed the NOCO charger today and was going to do this mod but both wires only state "BATT"
No Start or AUX? Both batteries seem to be charging but someone stated that the DVSR could be an issue.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On the larger spu connector there are 4 wires that are labled batt but there is also one each labled aux batt and sys batt. All of those wires are red but aux batt will be pin 13 and sys batt will be pin 16.

Connext voltage fix and the dvsr fix are two separate things. The DVSR issue turns your smart charger into a dumb charger. Both battries will charge but because the dvsr clicks on and connects the batteries they charge as a single bank which is not good for the batteries over the long run.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the larger spu connector there are 4 wires that are labled batt but there is also one each labled aux batt and sys batt. All of those wires are red but aux batt will be pin 13 and sys batt will be pin 16.

Connext voltage fix and the dvsr fix are two separate things. The DVSR issue turns your smart charger into a dumb charger. Both battries will charge but because the dvsr clicks on and connects the batteries they charge as a single bank which is not good for the batteries over the long run.
I will do some research and see what I need to do to fix the DVSR. I took the rest of the week off and have time to install all of the new goodies.