• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fix for Connext Battery Voltage Issue - Confirmed

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2017 242X E-series should I expect to have this problem? If so I would think that it would be something the dealer should be fixing. Any guidance on how to check for this prior to me taking delivery of the boat in the spring? Thanks
Yamaha is in denial about that issue, I would not count on any help, unfortunately.
I think that fixing it in a E-series boat is kind of important. The reason is, having an AUX battery issue will disable a boat with e-throttles, but you may not know what predicament without @Mainah fix.

--

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty handy doing mods, installed upgraded stereo system etc...but I get lost with electrical terminology and comprehension. I understand what's being accomplished for sure. My question is, if I only have the aux battery switched on during float mode will the Connext System give me the voltage reading for that battery alone? Seeing as I'm not discharging the dedicated start battery do I really need to know what's it's voltage is?(assuming it hasn't dropped from any floating usage right?). Or, is the entire issue that the system pulls voltage readings from the batteries combined during float mode regardless which is switch on and off? When floating or up on the beach playing music I always turn off the start battery and leave the aux in to run the stereo. I just figured if it does go dead I still have a fully charged battery to start up. Am I missing something...or better question, what am I missing?:). Thanks everyone!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm pretty handy doing mods, installed upgraded stereo system etc...but I get lost with electrical terminology and comprehension. I understand what's being accomplished for sure. My question is, if I only have the aux battery switched on during float mode will the Connext System give me the voltage reading for that battery alone? Seeing as I'm not discharging the dedicated start battery do I really need to know what's it's voltage is?(assuming it hasn't dropped from any floating usage right?). Or, is the entire issue that the system pulls voltage readings from the batteries combined during float mode regardless which is switch on and off? When floating or up on the beach playing music I always turn off the start battery and leave the aux in to run the stereo. I just figured if it does go dead I still have a fully charged battery to start up. Am I missing something...or better question, what am I missing?:). Thanks everyone!
Those are good questions!

What we DO know is that if your SYS (starter) battery circuit(s) develops a short /drain, or you have a loose connection, or something like that - you will NOT know it looking at the voltmeters in the Connext screen -- as both of those show only the AUX (house) battery voltage (w/o @Mainah fix).

So, the question would be: if you can still start and run the boat without SYS battery working (in COMBINED mode), right? (I would like to know that, too!) I think I will try to test it tomorrow by disconnecting one battery at the time to see what works, don't know... I DO think you need BOTH batteries working to run with E-throttles.

Someone smart please chime in! To me, just having the correct voltages for both batteries is worth the effort for this mod though.

--

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good question. I cannot remember if I or anyone else tested this. I personally would not be one to shut off my start battery when floating as a normal course of operation for a few reasons. You also don't need to shut off the start battery as very little current is being drawn from it when floating if the emergency combine is off. I look at the battery voltages as fuel guages and I always want to know how much fuel I have for entertainment devices, to start the engines, and to rule out or in as the cause of any issues. I also want the option to be able to get more float time out if my stereo by combining the batteries if needed.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We need a petition to force Yamaha to pay for this fix on every Connext equipped boat they have sold! :)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I look at the battery voltages as fuel guages and I always want to know how much fuel I have for entertainment devices, to start the engines, and to rule out or in as the cause of any issues.
Very well said!

I still want to mess with the switches, but not underway. @MicahH questions just made me realize I don't know exactly what each possible scenario of battery/switch configuration entails in those boats. I know the SYS bat is needed for operation, but kind of want to know what the limits are, just in case I get stuck somewhere with one battery dead etc.

--

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all your replies and Intel...I guess I was under the assumption that the SYS battery was my entertainment battery and the 2nd a designated starter battery that would serve to start the boat if the fun runs out;). Or, at least function as a series connection that would power all systems upon start up...sort of a failsafe so you don't get stranded. If someone has indeed tried to fire up their boat with only the start battery let us know. Not all models come equipped with 2 batteries correct? I own a 2016 AR 240 but isn't the 2nd battery optional in other models? That lead me to believe just a START battery would work??? Thanks in advance!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made the mistake the first few times taking out the boat without the starting battery on. When I was on the water, I turned it off. The Connext system gave me a system error with an annoying beep. It made it where I could not engage to WOT. I had to drive back in no wake mode back to the dock. I called the dealership on the water and he troubleshoot me through the problem. He stated that boat cannot be ran without the starting battery always being on. So this is my experience with trying to run the boat without starting battery on.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't need a second battery but if you going to run electronics like a stereo system, I would recommend it. You only taking a chance to drain you battery while out on the water. I suppose if you never float mode or beach, you might be able to get away with only one battery. As if you are constantly moving, stator will be charging the battery. Only issue is you will have to connect everything like bilge up to the starting battery. It could put alot of load on it depending on your setup.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Darn. The plot thickens.

I can start the engines with SYS battery "on" only, engines respond to throttles. Never ran it like that though, so not sure if it will reach WOT. Will test next time on the water.
I need both SYS and AUX batteries "on" to turn the Connext "on".
My understanding is that E-series boats need the Connext (so - also both batteries) to operate E-throttles. However, there is supposed to be an override mechanism for manual operation.

BTW - glad we have this discussion now, I would think these are important considerations for all those planning the Bimini trip. Not a discussion you would want to have over a VHF radio in 4ft seas, LOL. :D

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha. I do know that with the AR240 you do not have to have the connext on while moving. Sometimes at night I turn it off as it can bother me.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will someone please call Yamaha and tell them @Mainah fixed their boats?
I told them we had a member with a fix....but they didn't think they had a problem....I told them to read up!

As for E-Series boats....if your SYS battery is DEAD and you don't combine the batteries, you will not be able to drive the boat. It will start, but the gates and throttle won't do anything as there won't be power to the E-throttles. When this happens you get a pretty generic engine error on the connext screen-would have been nice for them to say...SYS BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE, but because of the problem in this thread...the don't know that! D'OH!

I also learned that if you shut the boat down, put the batteries into combine and start it right back up again, there error doesn't go away!!! You have to shut off all the batteries and let it sit 5-10 seconds to clear the error, then put it into COMBINE mode and then turn the batteries on. Then the throttles will respond.

Yes, there is a way to over ride the gate control motors behind the helm. How to do this is in your boat's manual, but basically involved disconnecting the server motors and manually moving the gate control rods.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lets not over complicate this. As long as you have one battery with a decent charge level your are good to go period. It may require fliping all the switches to on including combine but it will get power to everything. I do not see the need to ever run with just one battery on unless one of the batteries caught fire or something like that in which case disconnect that battery and turn all switches to on. A good way to think about this thing is that the switches are not turning the batteries on or off (they are always on) the switches are opening or closing circuits.

A diagram similar the the key position and wiring diagram may be helpful.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I told them we had a member with a fix....but they didn't think they had a problem....I told them to read up!

As for E-Series boats....if your SYS battery is DEAD and you don't combine the batteries, you will not be able to drive the boat. It will start, but the gates and throttle won't do anything as there won't be power to the E-throttles. When this happens you get a pretty generic engine error on the connext screen-would have been nice for them to say...SYS BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE, but because of the problem in this thread...the don't know that! D'OH!

I also learned that if you shut the boat down, put the batteries into combine and start it right back up again, there error doesn't go away!!! You have to shut off all the batteries and let it sit 5-10 seconds to clear the error, then put it into COMBINE mode and then turn the batteries on. Then the throttles will respond.

Yes, there is a way to over ride the gate control motors behind the helm. How to do this is in your boat's manual, but basically involved disconnecting the server motors and manually moving the gate control rods.
@Julian this is very helpful, not only for E-series boaters but anyone with the Connext. I did not realize the reboot takes some time, this must be due to some surface charge floating on the switches even after those are turned to "off". I suppose disconnecting the circuits at battery terminals might speed it up, maybe. But the important take home lessons are:
  • all Connext boats (including E-series) can run with one dead battery in COMBINE mode
  • the Connext reboot may be required and it can be tricky/take time

Now, regarding @FloJet comment:
I do know that with the AR240 you do not have to have the connext on while moving. Sometimes at night I turn it off as it can bother me.
I wonder if he is referring to running with the Connext off, or just the display "off". If the whole Connext is "off", would the boat even clock engine hours etc.? Would be easy to test, next time on the water.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good question @swatski. I know You can switch battery to just system battery and whole boat will operate except bilge, and other electronics on the house battery. Guess I will try investigate further when it gets little warmer.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I recall I believe my starboard engine did shut off and would not start with the SYS battery off. Don't quote me as that was back in April, But I do believe that also happened when the SYS battery was turned off.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wouldn't it be hilarious - if we see a bunch of Connext boats on the market down the road with extremely low hours - they've all been run in "FloJet mode". :D

But honestly I think it's just the display, obviously the ECUs are working etc.
I think @Mainah has a good point to not over complicate this, there is no reason to run with one switch "off".

--

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LMAO! I agree. Just little nerve racking having SYs battery on when beached up. I just switch it off to give me peace of mind that it's not drawing anything. But like @Mainah stated really nothing to worry about. I think it's part of my OCD. hehehehe

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes Maniah, I was just curious if I ran only the SYS battery dead but had one good one then would I be able to turn on both and start. Once moving the other will charge and things are good...seem right?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes Maniah, I was just curious if I ran only the SYS battery dead but had one good one then would I be able to turn on both and start. Once moving the other will charge and things are good...seem right?
I believe that is correct. Even if your one battery is completely dead, the switch "ON" will provide connectivity (closing the circuit) and you will be able to start and run the boat in "COMBINE", no problem.

--