• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fogging Oil Air Intake

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
First time winterizing. I see a couple spots to spray fogging oil for "air intake" Does anyone have a picture on where to spray the fogging oil in a 2021 195s? . See attached. IMG_4080 (1).jpg

Thank you and sorry for the dumb question

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go here: Download your manual here

See page 3-16.

Not a dumb question. I could be incorrect, but for MY boat, that's what I was looking for, and it lines up with the info I used to fog MY motors. I do NOT have the SVHO's, but everything tracks as that's what you're looking to do. For mine, it's a bit easier, spray the 5 seconds, then spray until the engine shuts down. Pull the plugs, fog each cylinder, and put something back in the spark plug holes (like the spark plugs!) until spring. Either leave the old plugs in until you've burned through a tank of fuel (what many folks do) and replace them at that point, or...not sure what a secondary option is other than simply put new plugs in and call it good until next winter 🤷

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do not spray fogging oil in the intake of a supercharged engine. It just gets stuck in the supercharger,, never makes it to the engine. I read somewhere that a fogging port may be installed on some SVHOs between the supercharger and the engine. The other obvious place is to pull the spark plugs and fog in each cylinder. A pain in the ass and will likely coat the spark plugs with oil. I highly doubt fogging oil has any benefit in the 1.8’s for winter storage as the engine is notably well lubricated to begin with. For longer term storage of an undetermined extended length of time, keeping some oil on things keeps seals happier and gives galvanic corrosion second thoughts.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
How cold does it get up there?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My fear with fogging through the spark plug opening would be the spray tube becoming dislodged from the nozzle and dropping into the cylinder....

I run it dry and purge the exhaust system, do an oil change, check the plugs and call it a day. Late in the season, I ensure there's Stabil marine 360 in the fuel.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer stores dozens of their customers Yamahas over the winter. Most are kept outside covered on the lot. I asked them about fogging the first offseason with my 2016 AR240 (1.8L engines )and they told me NEVER to fog a fuel injected engine. They don't ! Maybe if it were NOT going to be used the following spring they would advice differently ?? That never applied to me. I think that the steps @marcham outlined are sufficient.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How cold does it get up there?
This is a common misconception with regular maintenance, long storage service and winterization. Folks need to not use the term Winterization as you are not Winterizing anything. You are prepping the boat for storage.

So taking that into consideration, keep in mind of how long you are planning on storing your boat, not the temp or anything else. That is why Yamaha tells us what to do based on how long it will sit. And thus the reason Yamaha does not use the term winterization, as many will feel it does not apply to them.

Stabilization of fuel is for long term storage, for us in colder climates, that will be longer. And long is a relative term. My boat may sit on the dock for two weeks, like someone in Florida. But it also may sit in my pole building for 6 months. I stabilize the fuel based on the recommendation in the manual for downtime. Fogging, is not for the cold, it's for lubrication and corrosion prevention. Don't determine what you should or should not do based on temp. Do it based on downtime.

Corrosion prevention and condensation will be effected by climate for sure. So keep that in mind when deciding if you will or will not do a bit of the recommended maintenance. And also take that advice given here based on their location as well. If I have a very cold/dry winter, I may not experience the same level of condensation or corrosion that someone with a cool humid salt air environment may have.

So I get the question, "how cold does it get" but it doesn't apply to most. We should all be draining out water from our hull, and blowing out our engines if for any other reason that's the law (again, in my state, it's the law at the landing, not someone telling me it online) And your state may/will be different. Think about what you are doing for regular maintenance for the good of the engine and boat, not what someone has done for 15 years. Understand why you would do the items listed in the manual and it will give you many reliable years on these boats.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This is a common misconception with regular maintenance, long storage service and winterization. Folks need to not use the term Winterization as you are not Winterizing anything. You are prepping the boat for storage.

So taking that into consideration, keep in mind of how long you are planning on storing your boat, not the temp or anything else. That is why Yamaha tells us what to do based on how long it will sit. And thus the reason Yamaha does not use the term winterization, as many will feel it does not apply to them.

Stabilization of fuel is for long term storage, for us in colder climates, that will be longer. And long is a relative term. My boat may sit on the dock for two weeks, like someone in Florida. But it also may sit in my pole building for 6 months. I stabilize the fuel based on the recommendation in the manual for downtime. Fogging, is not for the cold, it's for lubrication and corrosion prevention. Don't determine what you should or should not do based on temp. Do it based on downtime.

Corrosion prevention and condensation will be effected by climate for sure. So keep that in mind when deciding if you will or will not do a bit of the recommended maintenance. And also take that advice given here based on their location as well. If I have a very cold/dry winter, I may not experience the same level of condensation or corrosion that someone with a cool humid salt air environment may have.

So I get the question, "how cold does it get" but it doesn't apply to most. We should all be draining out water from our hull, and blowing out our engines if for any other reason that's the law (again, in my state, it's the law at the landing, not someone telling me it online) And your state may/will be different. Think about what you are doing for regular maintenance for the good of the engine and boat, not what someone has done for 15 years. Understand why you would do the items listed in the manual and it will give you many reliable years on these boats.
That's why I was asking. I don't do shit to mine, besides change the oil and plugs, and put some stabil in the gas and fill it up. Blow out the water and store it in my garage, I guess I don't understand why people are obsessed with trying to winterize these machines. If they just got the boat then it's completely understandable, if not why waste your time trying to run antifreeze and fog.

portlandbucfan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thank you so much everyone! It gets cold in spokane, but I store in garage. I ran engine out of water (15 seconds), added fuel stabilizer, topped off fuel. I last ran it end of September and will probably use again in April. Unless people think otherwise will probably skip the fogging oil.

I plan to do an oil change in spring along with plugs, and lubrication.

Last edited:

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your new "baby" will be fine next spring !

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thank you so much everyone! It gets cold in spokane, but I store in garage. I ran engine out of water (15 seconds), added fuel stabilizer, topped off fuel. I last ran it end of September and will probably use again in April. Unless people think otherwise will probably skip the fogging oil.
FYI - You need to run the engine with the stabilizer in the fuel for a few minutes to make sure the stabilizer makes it through the entire fuel system. The fuel system is closed and pressurized, so you probably won't have an issue with the fuel losing volatility if you didn't run it long enough. I add stabilizer on what I figure is the last day on the water - adding it at the end of the day just before pulling up to the ramps. This gives it time to mix and get through the entire fuel system. I add some more when topping up at the gas station so the tank is fully treated.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't fog...no need for the amount of time it sits idle for the winter. I just run the engines for 10 seconds each day over a weekend out of the water to clear the exhaust cans. The engines are self-draining, and just to be safe I blow air through the flushing ports to help clear any water pockets. Add stabilizer and park for the winter in my driveway. No fog, no antifreeze. It gets as cold as -30c (-22f) every winter here in Jan/Feb and no issues for years with I/O boats and now the jetboat.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer stores dozens of their customers Yamahas over the winter. Most are kept outside covered on the lot. I asked them about fogging the first offseason with my 2016 AR240 (1.8L engines )and they told me NEVER to fog a fuel injected engine. They don't ! Maybe if it were NOT going to be used the following spring they would advice differently ?? That never applied to me. I think that the steps @marcham outlined are sufficient.

Your dealer doesn't care if they have problems they make a lot more repairing the boats compared to selling.

I have been fogging the engines for 20 years and no problems with my boats. Absolutely its good to remove the plugs and fog there are numerous cases of plugs snapping in the cylinder if you remove them at the end of the season carbon and oxidation on the plug threads break free and don't have time to build up over winter storage.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 2020 195S, I pull the plugs and spray into each cylinder, reinstall the plugs, pull the safety lanyard and crank the motor over a couple of times to distribute the fogging oil.

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
True, I am sure they don't sit long.

I use his "start up"procedure that he posted years ago. Sheepishly, I am looking for some free fogging advice from him.... LOL.

mjs5128

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 2020 195S, I pull the plugs and spray into each cylinder, reinstall the plugs, pull the safety lanyard and crank the motor over a couple of times to distribute the fogging oil.

I have the same boat and perform the same process. Just hold onto that spray tube!!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have the same boat and perform the same process. Just hold onto that spray tube!!
Oh Jesus! I didn't even think about the spray tube falling in! I will from now on! Hope that wasn't a lesson hard learned.

mjs5128

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Oh Jesus! I didn't even think about the spray tube falling in! I will from now on! Hope that wasn't a lesson hard learned.
Luckily it wasn’t. But, I’ve used enough WD40 to know those things fly off more often than not!