• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Foil Boarding - Loyal to the Foil

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I felt with the recent additions to the foil owners club over the past couple seasons, it was time to dedicate a thread to it. If you own a foil of any brand or style please share the fun you're having with it. If you find something awesome and foil related on the internet you want to share, let us see it. Or if you're just interested in foils, give this thread a watch.

My name is Jared, I'm 36 years old, I've got one season of foiling on my resume and I am a online watersports products dealer. I sell Slingshot boards and personally own a 2018 Slingshot foil with a selection of wings that include the Time Code 57cm, Gamma 68cm, and Space Skate 65cm.
20180601_223958.jpg

I've been wakeboarding and skiing since I was 12. Foiling is the most unique and versatile watersport experience to come market in recent years... it is a surreal feeling to fly over the water. I can't wait for the waters to warm again and get back to foiling.
20180604_222822.jpg

Last edited:

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I switched the mast back to the short one because the kids liked it better. But now I think I will go back. Breaching is usually what kills me. This season I should get way more time on it, my son has gotten quite good at driving the boat.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I switched the mast back to the short one because the kids liked it better. But now I think I will go back. Breaching is usually what kills me. This season I should get way more time on it, my son has gotten quite good at driving the boat.
That's great your son can drive. My oldest is 11... not quite ready to take the wheel for watersports just yet. My wife has become a pretty talented driver though.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess "boogy foiling" is a thing...?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Would love to try one, maybe someone will have one at Shelbyville this year. What speed do you tow at?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would love to try one, maybe someone will have one at Shelbyville this year. What speed do you tow at?
With the time code 57cm wing you can maintain constant flight at about 15mph. With the Gamma 68cm wing that came with this year's wake package, it may be able to maintain at 1-2mph slower.

Here's a video of one of my first good runs last year. I think I was running 13mph ish. You can see how I pick up some speed carving outside and it flies but, when I catch up to the boat and drop back I touch back down.

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With the time code 57cm wing you can maintain constant flight at about 15mph. With the Gamma 68cm wing that came with this year's wake package, it may be able to maintain at 1-2mph slower.

Here's a video of one of my first good runs last year. I think I was running 13mph ish. You can see how I pick up some speed carving outside and it flies but, when I catch up to the boat and drop back I touch back down.

Is that on Utah lake?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not to seem too old but I have kinda retired from wakeboarding as falls from surfing at 11 mph feel must better. Then slapping the water when things go wrong on the wakeboard. Hence my inquiry on the speed.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It looks like everyone is getting in on the foil technology. This video shows many designs from racing trimarans to foil boards. The World Sailing Show.

A few screen shots from the video.

Screenshot_20190502-070117_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190502-070133_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190502-071247_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190502-071408_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190502-071401_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190502-071411_YouTube.jpg

The Technology is here to stay. We might as well get on top of it. :winkingthumbsup"

Edit: I mean even Johnny Quest has a foil boat and ski when I was a kid, a long time ago.

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to seem too old but I have kinda retired from wakeboarding as falls from surfing at 11 mph feel must better. Then slapping the water when things go wrong on the wakeboard. Hence my inquiry on the speed.
I'm hearing you, I'm not getting younger myself... the similarity to surfing in the towing configuration is you're not attached to the board. That in and of its self lessens the impact. However, when learning you will undoubtedly have several awkward falls.

If your up for learning something a little more challenging than surfing, then foiling will fit the bill. Or if you want to advance your surf game, wakesurf foiling is what most guys buying the foils are interested in. That's near equivalent intensity to wakesurfing. You'd be riding typical surf speed, just gliding a little higher.
IMG_20190414_074349_697.jpg

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing @zipper I'm going to have to give that a watch.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I want one too but my river is no where deep enough for that.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want one too but my river is no where deep enough for that.
I think you'd probably be alright... your boat probably drafts the same as the foil when fully submerged. But, I'd hate to hit bottom with it.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So a foil only drafts about 16"? It could have potential for me after all. My boat bounces off submerged trees pretty well. What would happen to a Foil?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Meh... maybe a few more inches than that. 26-27" probably with the mast and wing. I wasn't sure what model boat you had. My 240 drafts 24". There is an 18" mast, it is more for learning and you'll likely find yourself breaching the surface and crash more often. As for what would happen if you hit a submerged tree with it... given the carbon fiber wings are $4-500 I'd rather not find out...

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Until you hit a shark!!!

I've seen that... That poor shark had no idea what was coming. The rider probably is being sued by PETA and the ASPCA.

Last edited: