• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Foil Boarding - Loyal to the Foil

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a good eFoil you're looking at about the same cost as a Waverunner. It's a lot more fun though! What's cool is you can "pirate" wakes off of passing wake boats, big cruisers, barges, etc. You use the power to get on a wake, wave or swell and then power off and ride just like a standard hydrofoil. To do this, you need one of the top two brands, as only those eFoils have a means to reduce drag after killing your power along with the wings and low weight needed to enjoy riding wakes. (Lift and Fliteboard.)

Other brands are fine for cruising around, but TBH that gets boring pretty quickly. Also watch out for eFoil boards that try and suck you in with "cool looking" boards. Opting for a modern looking--but hydrodynamically worthless--shape can be exceptionally dangerous. If you ride one of these boards, eventually it's going to hit you--that is a fact. Decide before you buy if you want a 70 pound vessel with a pointed nose hitting you in the head.

There's a few differences between Lift and Fliteboard--each has pros and cons. Both are outstanding though and you'll be thrilled with either one. For wake riding, you'll find that the Fliteboard is easier to learn to power the board on and off while on the wake, while the Lift takes more time to learn the required skills. OTH, once you learn how, the Lift will give a better ride on the wake as it has much less drag when un-powered. The difference is in the prop. Lift uses a folding prop; Flite uses a free spinning prop. As any racing sailor and many engineering studies will tell you, a folding prop has about half the drag as a free spinning prop. So the Lift will feel more like a normal foil board on a wake, but the power comes on and off more abruptly. The Flite is easier to feather the power on and off, but once off you will still feel the drag back there. On a steep wave that's not as big a deal, more of an annoyance. On smaller waves it can be just a bit too much drag to ride. The design of the Lift also allows you to use custom fuselages that allow the use of other brands of wings. (Armstrong, Moses, Slingshot, etc...) This can save you thousands of dollars if you do other foil sports besides eFoiling. Additionally, you can use Lift wings with a standard Lift mast on regular foil boards which can also save a ton of money for multi foil sport enthusiasts. The Flite eFoil can only use Flite wings, and you can not use those wings on anything but a Flite eFoil.

Lift eFoils start at just under $10K, Flite starts at just $12.5K

DO NOT buy an eFoil longer than 5'4"; you'll outgrow it quickly. 5'4" is a good length if you'll be having people new to the sport try it, or have people who only will ride occasionally. If everyone that uses it will be regular riders, get a 4'9" or shorter board. The 4'2"--the shortest available-- will be the most fun on a wave but is harder to get up on, especially for heavier riders or conditions other than smooth water. The 4'9" is still fun on a wave, and is much easier to get up on in chop or for heavier riders. The 4'9" will also float you better, so it's more fun to just hang out on.

BTW, full disclosure, I am a Lift affiliate. I had a choice between Lift and Flite last year, after much research I chose Lift for the advantages I list in this post along with a few others. Fliteboards are also excellent boards though, you can't go wrong with either.

BTW again, Yamaha boats make outstanding carriers for eFoils. It's extremely easy to do deep water launch and recoveries of of the swim platform. I use a floating pad to help facilitate launch and land. You don't absolutely need one, it just makes things easier, and prevents scuffing and such..20220703_172156.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a good eFoil you're looking at about the same cost as a Waverunner. It's a lot more fun though! What's cool is you can "pirate" wakes off of passing wake boats, big cruisers, barges, etc. You use the power to get on a wake, wave or swell and then power off and ride just like a standard hydrofoil. To do this, you need one of the top two brands, as only those eFoils have a means to reduce drag after killing your power along with the wings and low weight needed to enjoy riding wakes. (Lift and Fliteboard.)

Other brands are fine for cruising around, but TBH that gets boring pretty quickly. Also watch out for eFoil boards that try and suck you in with "cool looking" boards. Opting for a modern looking--but hydrodynamically worthless--shape can be exceptionally dangerous. If you ride one of these boards, eventually it's going to hit you--that is a fact. Decide before you buy if you want a 70 pound vessel with a pointed nose hitting you in the head.

There's a few differences between Lift and Fliteboard--each has pros and cons. Both are outstanding though and you'll be thrilled with either one. For wake riding, you'll find that the Fliteboard is easier to learn to power the board on and off while on the wake, while the Lift takes more time to learn the required skills. OTH, once you learn how, the Lift will give a better ride on the wake as it has much less drag when un-powered. The difference is in the prop. Lift uses a folding prop; Flite uses a free spinning prop. As any racing sailor and many engineering studies will tell you, a folding prop has about half the drag as a free spinning prop. So the Lift will feel more like a normal foil board on a wake, but the power comes on and off more abruptly. The Flite is easier to feather the power on and off, but once off you will still feel the drag back there. On a steep wave that's not as big a deal, more of an annoyance. On smaller waves it can be just a bit too much drag to ride. The design of the Lift also allows you to use custom fuselages that allow the use of other brands of wings. (Armstrong, Moses, Slingshot, etc...) This can save you thousands of dollars if you do other foil sports besides eFoiling. Additionally, you can use Lift wings with a standard Lift mast on regular foil boards which can also save a ton of money for multi foil sport enthusiasts. The Flite eFoil can only use Flite wings, and you can not use those wings on anything but a Flite eFoil.

Lift eFoils start at just under $10K, Flite starts at just $12.5K

DO NOT buy an eFoil longer than 5'4"; you'll outgrow it quickly. 5'4" is a good length if you'll be having people new to the sport try it, or have people who only will ride occasionally. If everyone that uses it will be regular riders, get a 4'9" or shorter board. The 4'2"--the shortest available-- will be the most fun on a wave but is harder to get up on, especially for heavier riders or conditions other than smooth water. The 4'9" is still fun on a wave, and is much easier to get up on in chop or for heavier riders. The 4'9" will also float you better, so it's more fun to just hang out on.

BTW, full disclosure, I am a Lift affiliate. I had a choice between Lift and Flite last year, after much research I chose Lift for the advantages I list in this post along with a few others. Fliteboards are also excellent boards though, you can't go wrong with either.

BTW again, Yamaha boats make outstanding carriers for eFoils. It's extremely easy to do deep water launch and recoveries of of the swim platform. I use a floating pad to help facilitate launch and land. You don't absolutely need one, it just makes things easier, and prevents scuffing and such..View attachment 187097
Awesome information.

Do you have any of your videos to share or real world riding?

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome information.

Do you have any of your videos to share or real world riding?
Thanks!

I'm not really a video guy... I can dig some up of other riders though if that will help?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nakk No big deal. Just thought if you had a few. I have seen others on youtube and such. I find the efoil fascinating.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nakk No big deal. Just thought if you had a few. I have seen others on youtube and such. I find the efoil fascinating.
Same here. Looks down right spectacular as a water toy.

@Nakk
Any thoughts on licensing/permitting/etc? Do you need a set of numbers and a registration? I mean, it's technically a powered vessel right?

I know the guy that put the floating tugboat sandbox on the water last summer had to get a set of numbers and registration and all he had was an electric trolling motor on there. Any thoughts or experiences?

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here. Looks down right spectacular as a water toy.

@Nakk
Any thoughts on licensing/permitting/etc? Do you need a set of numbers and a registration? I mean, it's technically a powered vessel right?

I know the guy that put the floating tugboat sandbox on the water last summer had to get a set of numbers and registration and all he had was an electric trolling motor on there. Any thoughts or experiences?
It depends on the state. Washington requires numbers, but only if you'll be on federal waters. On state waters it's not required. Makes a lot of sense, right? I don't believe Oregon requires numbers. I've registered mine, but keep forgetting to attach the numbers. ;) I've never been bothered by LE, they don't seem to care so far. Since I ride on the Columbia River--the border between the states--they probably assume I'm from Oregon and don't need numbers. Once I get a ticket I'll probably remember to attach the numbers. My issue is that even though I live in WA, I'm right across the river from Portland, Oregon--which would be by far my biggest market if I sell a board. WA numbers would cut the resale value.

BTW, the whole registration issue is another concern if you get a cheaper Chinese board. They don't come with the required documentation you need to register your board. Last I checked, they didn't have an HID number either.

Last edited:

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I saw someone on a sit down foil last weekend. First time I’ve seen any foil pulled behind a boat. Spun around and followed him for a bit just mesmerized at how high he was able to jump out of the water sitting down like that. Not sure I’d want to sit down but foiling in general does look really fun. Definitely something I’ll keep in mind for the future. eFoils look super cool but at $13k I’ll pass. Thinking about it purely from the value to cost ratio for me, personally, I have a hard stop at $3k. Of course I’ve never ridden any type of foil so maybe I’d change my mind after experiencing one.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw someone on a sit down foil last weekend. First time I’ve seen any foil pulled behind a boat. Spun around and followed him for a bit just mesmerized at how high he was able to jump out of the water sitting down like that. Not sure I’d want to sit down but foiling in general does look really fun. Definitely something I’ll keep in mind for the future. eFoils look super cool but at $13k I’ll pass. Thinking about it purely from the value to cost ratio for me, personally, I have a hard stop at $3k. Of course I’ve never ridden any type of foil so maybe I’d change my mind after experiencing one.
Air chair. People can do amazing things on those. They’ve been around a long time.

Bonfiggy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Well, I had a chance to ride an eFoil over the weekend. Buddy that I mentioned previously was out at the lake and brought it to play with. It's a Lift eFoil, but I'm not sure of all of the details on it.

Took me about 10 solid minutes of falling off before I was able to get up and go. Had a blast once I was up. Great fun, but I still can't wrap my mind around the price for fun ratio - and this is from someone who loves all things board-riding.

Video link of my first lap around the cove. Pardon the format/music - wife recorded it with instagram or somesuch.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great fun, but I still can't wrap my mind around the price for fun ratio - and this is from someone who loves all things board-riding.
That's the thing, if all you do with it is cruise around then it gets old quickly for many people. OTH, once you get good with it, all sorts of possibilities open up. Chasing wake boats, ships, barges, etc and pirating their wake. Surfing river swell. Surfing ocean waves. I don't have a ballast system in my boat, and I don't need one. I just pirate the wake off of someone who does. Not only is this a ton of fun, but it is a great way to meet other boaters. For river swell, eFoiling is just like wing foiling, except you don't need a wing. The possibilities are endless, and therein lies the fun.

If all you want to do is cruise, save your money and just take a lesson--then rent a board once or twice a year. That's plenty of cruising. But if you want to push your limits a good eFoil can provide years of challenging adventures.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Bumping this thread for any wind/kite foil peeps? Getting the mid winter boredom and was watching some kite foil racing. Looked Hella fun and something my friend and his kids would enjoy.