• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 190 Won't Start - (Engine turns over)

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes, I read that part. I would try literally everything including the things that I doubted would make a difference just to check them off the list. It's probably the least amount of effort to just turn all the battery switches on and see if there is any change. Helps to rule out things along the way. That's why the techs ask first: Is your computer on? ;)
As an IT professional, I appreciate the sentiment. haha

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Battery connections look good. If it turns over strong probably not batteries.
I am hoping that it is something as simple as a random fuse that I am missing along the way... I've blown the battery fuse previously (30A fuse in the engine compartment), but it wouldn't crank at all. I am going to give it (another) once-over tomorrow after work.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you unplug the battery for a few minutes it will reset the ecu. It's probably not that but it's easy to test. You need a yds to hook into the computer and see what's up. You could trouble shoot all the safety switches and see what the sensors are reading in a minute.

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If you unplug the battery for a few minutes it will reset the ecu. It's probably not that but it's easy to test. You need a yds to hook into the computer and see what's up. You could trouble shoot all the safety switches and see what the sensors are reading in a minute.
Thanks for the response. I was looking at the YDS setup on eBay and the long thread on this site. I was unclear if the YDS 1.33 system on that I saw on eBay is still valid on the newer engines. I may bite the bullet and pick one up... I'll unhook the batteries again tonight to see if it makes a difference. I also picked up a one month subscription to the service manual to see if it gives me further ideas.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok here is something to try I have had issues with one of my throttle positioning sensors on occasion try rapidly moving the throttle forward and backward a few times and see if it starts. Worth a try .

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you tried connecting all positive wires to your starting battery? The tach stuck on 8 makes me think you have something going on other than a kill switch or throttle sensor.

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Have you tried connecting all positive wires to your starting battery? The tach stuck on 8 makes me think you have something going on other than a kill switch or throttle sensor.
Are you referring to the positive lead to the house battery - moving that one to the starting battery?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ok here is something to try I have had issues with one of my throttle positioning sensors on occasion try rapidly moving the throttle forward and backward a few times and see if it starts. Worth a try .
This above seems to make sense...

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you referring to the positive lead to the house battery - moving that one to the starting battery?
Yes. To isolate a battery being an issue I would at least try that. Some of the electrics that allow the engine to start might be on the house battery. Probably won’t make a difference but easy enough to try.

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes. To isolate a battery being an issue I would at least try that. Some of the electrics that allow the engine to start might be on the house battery. Probably won’t make a difference but easy enough to try.
Thanks for the tip.. I just came in from giving this a try. Unfortunately, no change. The weather isn't great at the moment, so I am going to look at things again tomorrow. My next steps would typically be to check the fuel, but because of the tach behavior, I am thinking that it would not be a fuel issue.

I am going to go through the service manual tonight to see if there is another fuse that I could be missing. Everything else that I saw in the service manual requires the YDS (YDIS) to further troubleshoot. The manual mentioned version 2.22 (or something like that). The YDS info that I saw on eBay is 1.33. Need to figure out if the older style is sufficient.

Thanks again for the tips and suggestions. The investigation continues...

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Gave this a try, as well. The engine continues to crank well, but will not start. Thanks!

Once I get this resolved, I can move on to actually installing the Cobra Jet Viper kit that I purchased last year... haha

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well you need compression, fire and fuel, so if one of those is missing you have your issue then track down what is causing the problem.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man I can't find the thread but this all sounds very familiar someone last year had this same issue with the Tach stuck on 8 as well and no start and I just can't find the thread or the solution right now.

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Man I can't find the thread but this all sounds very familiar someone last year had this same issue with the Tach stuck on 8 as well and no start and I just can't find the thread or the solution right now.
I'll dig into the forums a little deeper to see if I can find anything.... Thanks!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm watching, and so wish I could help...

I have most recently learned there is an additional fuse box I didn't know existed in my AR240 - right by the batteries... It is a Connext boat though and that fuse powers the Connext - my was burned out and - funny - the tachs were both stuck at 8k, but I could turn and run the engines, it was just the whole electronics part (Connext operated) that was kaput.

Keep us posted, hope you figure this out soon. This is a tough one, we will all learn!

--

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Ok - here is the latest. After doing some additional reading, and against my initial judgement, I decided to go ahead and replace the batteries. I had to completely eliminate these as the issue, even though the old batteries were showing almost 100%. As it turns out, the old batteries were fine. (Just over 2 years old) I went ahead and left the new batteries installed.

To eliminate spark, and even though the old spark plugs looked visually fine, I went ahead and replaced all of the spark plugs. Made no difference.

My mind keeps going back to the fuel, even though there seems to be other electrical symptoms. The last thing that I did today is pull the air cleaner housing back, and went "Old school" with some starter fluid. The engine would start to catch when I sprayed the fluid while cranking. I didn't do enough to fully start the engine, but it did at least prove that there was some spark.

--> At no time did I get any sort of gas smell. I would think that, as much as I was cranking, that I would start to notice the smell of gas at some point. This makes me wonder if there is some sort of trouble with the fuel pump or something else in the fuel system. Short of the YDS, is there a relatively simple way to prove or disprove an issue with the fuel pump/system?

As I mentioned previously, I am not opposed to purchasing the YDS system from eBay - if/when I get clarification that it is useful for the newer boat generations, I will order ASAP.

Corey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Definitely sounds like a fuel issue... maybe from sitting all winter the fuel line or fuel filter got plugged up.. Did you store with full tank of ethanol free fuel or use Stabil /Startron? I was trying to research where the fuel filter is located (if there is one)...There may also be a fuse for the fuel pump... Were the plugs wet when you pulled them? its probably something simple.....Usually is ... or should I say Hopefully it is

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good job narrowing it down using the basics as mentioned by @Cobra Jet Steering LLC .
Maybe one of the guys with a wiring diagram can chime with more info but I'd be popping off the floor cover over the tank and checking fuel pump electrical connections and power supply.
I've been a mechanic my entire life and now run a large municipal fleet. If I had dollar for every time that we (I) over-diagnosed equipment just because we thought we needed to...I might have a much bigger, more expensive boat by now.
Good luck on hopefully a simple fix. :thumbsup:

Akwoolf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have access to the service manual. I plan to review it in more detail tonight - hopefully I will not have to remove all of those bolts on top of what I think is the fuel pump. I checked the electrical connections a few days ago - those seemed ok... time to triple-check things tomorrow. If a screenshot of any specific diagram helps, I can snip and upload.

As for how I stored it last fall - the tank was probably about 90-95% full. I use in/out service and the marina doesn't like the tanks to be topped off. I moved it out of the marina last weekend (moved across the state) and topped it off at the gas station prior to getting her home. I don't think that I was able to add more than a gallon or two. I always add the marine StaBil each time I fuel up.

Thanks again for all of the comments.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't remember does the kill switch kill the spark or the fuel pump?