• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas Tank Won't Fill, HELP!

Those seats on the toon look super comfortable! I'm with Julian on upping the motor size a little. Well, maybe see how you like the 150, it may be enough. Congrats regardless, those are nice boats. Will it fit in your slip? What about your lift for your Yammi? Is this one gonna have a lift?

Wow, what a switch! That pontoon looks awesome and I have thought of doing the same thing a time or two. Those rear loungers are just so inviting! Congrats!

Those seats on the toon look super comfortable! I'm with Julian on upping the motor size a little. Well, maybe see how you like the 150, it may be enough. Congrats regardless, those are nice boats. Will it fit in your slip? What about your lift for your Yammi? Is this one gonna have a lift?
If I were to put money into motor work it would be to add another motor of equal HP and spread them apart as far as possible. Spreading them will give you incredible control around docks. But, looking at the pics a twin motor setup would not be easy to pull off due to the rear deck layout. Meh..... Just enjoy it as is! Lots of fun will be had on that deck no matter how many motors or HP you have!

First thing I thought about was the motor upgrade, but when I looked at specs of the Yamaha F150 vs the Yamaha F250 on my exact pontoon I didn't think it was worth it and I was told by the dealer that the F150 to F200 was not even worth consideration. The F150 has a top speed at 39.6mph on the model pontoon I purchased and the F250 has a top speed of 44mph. So we are talking a little over 4 MPH faster for a cost of $6K more didn't seem worth it to me. Especially for my family, which freaks out if I go past 30 to 35mph. Also, once you go from 150 to 250 you really have to upgrade from hydraulic steering to power steering assist and that is another $3K. So overall another 4mph top speed was not worth $9K upgrade to me personally. About the most we will be doing is what we have done for the last several years and that is cruise to the beach to meet some friends and hang out.

It does fit in my slip. The GM at Grandpappy Point is working with HydroHoist on a change because we thought at first my lift would work just by conversion on the slats, but come to find out my pontoon is a bit longer than the AR240 so we are making an overall upgrade. A lot of people have told me "you don't need a lift with a pontoon", but I want to keep it looking nice and protect it so I'm going to lift it.

Last edited:
Wow, what a switch! That pontoon looks awesome and I have thought of doing the same thing a time or two. Those rear loungers are just so inviting! Congrats!

Thanks! I will see you on Lake Texoma this summer! I'm hoping we have a better summer than last year with all the flooding.

Thanks! I will see you on Lake Texoma this summer! I'm hoping we have a better summer than last year with all the flooding.
I'm hopeful for a more boating friendly spring and early summer too! Tom, is it on an aluminum or galvanized trailer? Either way you can easily take it and enjoy in on the coast.

I'm hopeful for a more boating friendly spring and early summer too! Tom, is it on an aluminum or galvanized trailer? Either way you can easily take it and enjoy in on the coast.

Good question. It is a 2015 MCCLAIN Model AB 22-13 PTT and I googled it, but don't see any details. I've always been a lake person over the ocean.

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] - Found this thread, traced the lines. . . . no kinks. . . Pulled the vent cap and it was clear. . . . . fill from a 2.5 Gal tank (low flow) or at the pump.

Gas is just sitting in the line (visible from the fill) and trickling in literally a drop at a time. After the initial pour, it took 30 minutes for it to go down.

Did we ever discover what the issue was/could be?

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP] - Found this thread, traced the lines. . . . no kinks. . . Pulled the vent cap and it was clear. . . . . fill from a 2.5 Gal tank (low flow) or at the pump.

Gas is just sitting in the line (visible from the fill) and trickling in literally a drop at a time. After the initial pour, it took 30 minutes for it to go down.

Did we ever discover what the issue was/could be?
Is this a current problem in your new boat @0627Devildog?

Sounds like you've got a foil bottle topper from some fuel treatment in there.......

Is that a possibility?

The new boats all have an EPA canister and vapor recovery system, that will close a valve and prevent filling if the back pressure increases. It could be that valve or the breather causing it. The first time I tried to fill the boat, it prevented me from adding much. I had to use the gas down below half to get it to fill again. I haven't had any issues since. Kinks and a plugged vent would be my first place to look as well, but beyond that, it may be that damn vapor recovery system.
This could be your issue @0627Devildog.

Sounds like you've got a foil bottle topper from some fuel treatment in there.......

Is that a possibility?
That would mess up the fuel pump inlet screen but I don't think it would affect the fill or vent. Blowing some air into the vent line would alleviate if that's the cause. I think Mel may have the issue that I quoted in my previous post.

I'm at less then 8th tank. . . .

Last edited:
So I removed the vent line. . . . Literally, the whole thing. . . . .

20160705_121204.jpg

When I disconnected it from the tank (pictured below) I heard a heavy hiss. . . .

20160705_123707.jpg

Is it possible that I ran it so low, that the vacuum it created caused the vent line shut off to engage?

Once I disconnected the line pictured above I was able to freely blow through it from both ends. I hooked it back up to the tank and was able to add 12.5 gals (All I had on hand) without issue.

So I removed the vent line. . . . Literally, the whole thing. . . . .

View attachment 41020

When I disconnected it from the tank (pictured below) I heard a heavy hiss. . . .

View attachment 41021

Is it possible that I ran it so low, that the vacuum it created caused the vent line shut off to engage?

Once I disconnected the line pictured above I was able to freely blow through it from both ends. I hooked it back up to the tank and was able to add 12.5 gals (All I had on hand) without issue.
Sounds logical. Glad you got her fixed!

That's a flaw! The vapor recovery system created enough vacuum in the tank to suck the check valve closed.

Sounds to me like you had positive psi in the tank if the inlet check valve was closed. I would think that the vent line being blocked could cause that.

Sounds to me like you had positive psi in the tank if the inlet check valve was closed. I would think that the vent line being blocked could cause that.
Yes....I said it backwards! :facepalm:

Back