• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas Tank Won't Fill, HELP!

I assume you checked the fill line for kinks? Robert also has a good point....

I assume you checked the fill line for kinks? Robert also has a good point....
The other trigger to my theory is if the fuel dock attendant said its common then they probably have a strong pump causing that back flow. The fuel pumps at bimini sands were so strong I went to fill my jet ski and I pulled the handle all the way down and from an empty tank gas came shooting out the top. The attendant there told me it was common there as well as their pump was designed to fill very large gas tanks quickly.

This is a stupid question maybe so please dont bash me for asking but there is reason behind it. When having this issue at the fuel dock have you tried filling it very slowly? The reason I ask is you mentioned not having an issue filling on the trailer. Most car gas pumps have very low pressure compared to the ones used at marine fuel docks since marine fuel dock consistently fill boats with well over 100 gallons of fuel the are designed to pump faster. I had this happen several times at my fuel dock not with the yamaha but my other boat and what I found was the pressure from the pump at the fuel dock was to much and was send fuel back up. If I pumped it slowly it would take. I never had the issue at a car fuel pump as the pressure wasn't strong enough. Once again this was just my solution so hopefully it's that simple for you but it maybe something more.
Not a stupid question at all and I'm glad you asked. We did try it very slowly and it burped out slowly and we tried it around the medium pumping level and it burped it back out and we even tried full throttle and it really burped it out. We tried the gas pump handle in the normal position, sideways, upside down. Nothing worked. I appreciate the thoughts and questions because this will help the next person when they refer to this thread when their boat does it.

@Julian ...We did check for kinks. Could not find any from where you fill to the gas tank on the gas line or vent line.

Pump at the marina is the same one we used to fill up several times last summer. Seems to have a nice smooth flow.

Have you filled up with a gas can in the past? Maybe the cap was left on and its now in the fuel fill hose causing troubles. Do you know anybody with one of those camera scopes that are sold at Home Creepo?

Have you filled up with a gas can in the past? Maybe the cap was left on and its now in the fuel fill hose causing troubles. Do you know anybody with one of those camera scopes that are sold at Home Creepo?

Not that I am aware of. We've only got 39 hours on her and we either filled her up at the gas station before putting her in the lake or at the dock at the marina where she sleeps. Good idea about the camera scope. I do know someone who has one of those and if I can't get this siphon hose down her I will go that route when he gets back in town from Thanksgiving.

So the boat sits unattended at the marina? Beginning to wonder if you suffered some teenage vandalism....perhaps someone dropped a ball in the hose?

I hope not, but that could be an option.

Not sure where you keep your boat, but we had issues with theft and vandalism at pier 121.

Not sure where you keep your boat, but we had issues with theft and vandalism at pier 121.

We are at Grandpappy Point Marina on Lake Texoma. We haven't noticed any theft or vandalism and have actually left my flat screen TV and my Bose speaker up on the porch (not on purpose) a few times and nobody even touched it. We are in a section where you have to have a key to get in.

My bet is on something clogging the anti-siphon screen. The paper top from Stabil or someone putting something down there--same effect. Blocks the screen and you are dead in the water. I would unhook the fill line where the screen is (I think you can see it inside) and check/clear it.

My bet is on something clogging the anti-siphon screen. The paper top from Stabil or someone putting something down there--same effect. Blocks the screen and you are dead in the water. I would unhook the fill line where the screen is (I think you can see it inside) and check/clear it.

Is that anti-siphon screen where the fuel hose connects to the gas tank?

Page one of the other gas tank thread has 2 schematics of how the tank could be set up. Not sure how your model year boat is configured.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/fuel-fill-question.2524/

So it will either be a straight line to the tank or it will have an EPA filter in the line.
Thanks for this link Julian. I have a 2013 AR240 and have a feeling it has something to do with this EPA filter. I do have that in the compartment next to my battery. If I get some free time I'm going to go out there tomorrow and mess with it. I'm going to take a 5 gallon gas can with me and see if it will let me fill the 5 gallons. The other day at the fuel dock it would not let me put any in and kept burping it up. This happened at the end of last summer as well.

Went out to the boat today to see if I could figure this out. I won't go into a ton of detail because I am typing this from my iPhone, but after many different attempts the problem is still not resolved. I'm going to take it in to the dealer next week or the week after since it is still under warranty and let the pros figure it out. My money is on that EPA filter system. Once I get it back I will share details.

I have to agree with that call. Especially after you have given it a good try. Do be sure to update us on what the issue was. Very curious...

Apologies if this was mentioned before. I did read that it burped last summer too...could it have been full? Could it still be full? Gauges have been known to lie through their metaphorical teeth! Just a thought but I know those dang filters cause some issues on our boats.

It could be, but if it is I can't tell. I've needed to get a keel guard installed for a while so this gives me an excuse to take it in and have them do the warranty work on it.
Apologies if this was mentioned before. I did read that it burped last summer too...could it have been full? Could it still be full? Gauges have been known to lie through their metaphorical teeth! Just a thought but I know those dang filters cause some issues on our boats.

No sir...I wish that was it. It's truly at a quarter of a tank based on fuel guage, gallons used, and overall memory of usage since last fill.

Back