• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

gmtech Custom Fishing Rod Holding Tubes...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@zipper , thanks. I took a longer look at GM's pics and quickly realized you are correct and that this mod will have to wait until next year, if ever. Still, I will get under there to check the clamps and take some pics in prepping and planning for the mod.
All these years on this site and YJB and this is the first time I recall anyone putting mufflers in to reduce engine noise, awesome @gmtech16450yz ! Why hasn't anyone done this before? I remember the extreme mod (IMHO) being the addition of an alternator for a Yamaha with a stereo that had a very high power needs with multiple and batteries. Not may members did this mod either, maybe only one.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
first time I recall anyone putting mufflers in to reduce engine noise
You have to realize, he put the mufflers in after he opened his exhaust outlets up for more power and then decided he didnt like the way it sounded, so he installed the mufflers as a sort of remedy. At least thats how it read to me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have to realize, he put the mufflers in after he opened his exhaust outlets up for more power and then decided he didnt like the way it sounded, so he installed the mufflers as a sort of remedy. At least thats how it read to me.
Well, I believe the "resonators" (black plastic boxes, not the water boxes) make a big difference in the exhaust setup noise levels, and I believe @gmtech16450yz put his resonators back in.
The outlet itself is probably much less of an issue - for soundproofing, but the OEM exhaust outlet assembly is so bad, it quickly looses the sealant ring (AKA Yamaha jet boat hymen, lol) and leaks water into the bilge - in most boats.

--

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Someone help me picture the exhaust routing here. In the pic below, the muffler we see is coming from the port side resonator, connecting to the starboard water box, right? Where is the other muffler and how does it get over to the port side water box?
20180205_162638.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Someone help me picture the exhaust routing here. In the pic below, the muffler we see is coming from the port side resonator, connecting to the starboard water box, right? Where is the other muffler and how does it get over to the port side water box?
View attachment 78785
This is a great pic. However go down about 4 more pics. and you will see that the other muffler is hidden under the forward edge of the "clean out port compartment". Link, https://jetboaters.net/threads/gmtech-custom-fishing-rod-holding-tubes.16169/page-2 post 29.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ah ha! I see now. I saw that pic, but I was thinking it was the same muffler as the first pic, but just a different angle. I was wrong obviously. So one muffler across the back and one across the front, and you don't have to change the exit routimg at all. The exhaust side "swap" is from running the exhaust to the opposite water box.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scottie He does swap sides, port engine exhausts out starboard exhaust port which was also customized. And visa versa, starboard engine exhausts out port exhaust port.