• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got a new towing rig! ...and mods to 1500 Ram

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Level's the load and feels more solid. Controls sway and bounce. got mine for $80

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take any pics while doing it? Is there a compressor to fill the bags or how's it work? Like to what you purchased to read more about them? Any links?

Last edited:

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf
I sent them an email regarding my situation. Since I am literally a couple of weeks past warranty I am hopping they do the right thing. otherwise it's the last time I purchase BAK. No point in investing anything into a product that will not survive 1 year and is bound to disintegrate in the heat.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a Firestone airbag system put on my durango with the compressor. .. they put a spacer plate on top of the spring during I stalking and it makes the back sit up a little higher than normal but when towing the boat it's really nice. The only real reason I wanted them was due to the larger trailer I bought having more tounge weight so my truck was squaring just enough to blind people when towing at night. So I got the air bags and love them..

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf
I sent them an email regarding my situation. Since I am literally a couple of weeks past warranty I am hopping they do the right thing. otherwise it's the last time I purchase BAK. No point in investing anything into a product that will not survive 1 year and is bound to disintegrate in the heat.
I wont buy their products even after they replaced my cover. That cover should not be on the market!

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2cents about airbags: If getting airbags I suggest the bags from Timber Grove. Their website has lots of good videos on how they work and how to install. These bags are a little more pricey, but a much better built option/design than the Airlift bags. The plus is that you can fill them after you add heavy load to bring truck back up to where you want it. With the airlift bags you have to fill them before adding load. I have them on my 2015 Ram1500 and wouldn't be without them. I have used them for pulling boat, travel trailer, popup camper and a jeep on a car hauler. They really help with the Ram sag and make the ride much smoother when towing. No more bottoming out on the bumpstops and the jarring associated with it. When not towing, just lower pressure back down to 5psi and truck still rides like stock.

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"With the airlift bags you have to fill them before adding load" Very True! and very important...

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, guess BAK will do the right thing after all. Not only will they replace my cover at no charge, but they will upgrade it to the premium one at no cost to me even though I started my claim a couple of weeks past warranty.
In my book this sets them above the rest. A company that will stand behind their products like this deserves a 2nd chance.
The premium cover has a 3 year warranty so it should be a bit sturdier than this one. Pity it does not have the vinyl cover over the panels that gives it a cleaner look like the VP.
I'll post a couple of pics once I have the new one installed.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, guess BAK will do the right thing after all. Not only will they replace my cover at no charge, but they will upgrade it to the premium one at no cost to me even though I started my claim a couple of weeks past warranty.
In my book this sets them above the rest. A company that will stand behind their products like this deserves a 2nd chance.
The premium cover has a 3 year warranty so it should be a bit sturdier than this one. Pity it does not have the vinyl cover over the panels that gives it a cleaner look like the VP.
Those bastards!! I tried to do that and was rejected. Grrr!!!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are the tracks the same for the hard folding cover?

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They say they are, and that they are only sending me the cover, not the tracks. I guess I'll know for sure in 2 weeks when it arrives. They want me to ship back this one to their engineering department. guess they are trying to figure out why they are failing.
It is obvious that heat plays a big role. I think that the bonding agent between the aluminum and the Styrofoam is what is failing, and once it detaches the panel looses it's structural strength.
My brother in law had a trifold from another brand and although he had no problems with sagging, he had water coming into the bed. Now he ordered a VP a few months ago and says he never had water issues again. Essentially the VP is a good cover, and the best looking I have seen out there. Once they figure out how to keep the panels in one piece then it should be a solid product.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They need a thicker aluminum panel.

Please update me on the rails when you figure that out. My VP is on eBay and not gathering any attention, even at 1/2 the cost.

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked at the Gators, weathertech and a few others. All of them were pricey and I couldn't find any advantage to the Bak ones. Even the Mopar one, at $400 plus, is a simply vinyl over an aluminum structure. maybe ok to keep water out and aerodynamic improvement, but far from a hardcover in terms of keeping ppl out.
Since I live in NJ, that last bit is important to me.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My bak revolver cover has locking teeth that grab the side rails. Gives us enough security with the tailgate locked. With that said the only stuff under the cover is soccer equipment and sometimes groceries. :p

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No bites on my eBay sale of the new cover only. Grrrrr! I can't even give this thing away!

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you try craigslist? sometimes people feel more comfortable buying local.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you try craigslist? sometimes people feel more comfortable buying local.
That's my last resort. I've found CL to be full of scammers and garage sale shoppers.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I might need something in the near future there @Murf'n'surf . Eco is gone, hunt is on...

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length