• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hairline cracks, spider cracks?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm Sorry guys!

I think I wrote about the results I had in another thread.....

Anyway, overall I'd have to say I'm pleased with this stuff. It's easy alright, no mixing in any catalyst and the stuff actually stayed "live" in the tube for, well, it still usable! I found it in my box of stuff a couple of weeks ago.

Typically, anytime I leave a tube of just about anything on the boat for almost a year, it's all dried up when I need it.

You do have to finesse the application and take your time, but you can get very good results....even where you're not really supposed to. And what I mean by that is they have two products if I recall correctly, a chip fix and a hairline crack repair. The hairline crack product ( the one I bought!) is very thin and seeps into cracks well. It would be hard to effect a repair on a deep gouge.

But that's exactly what I ended up using it for ! You see, one of the bunks on the trailer came loose at one end exposing the metal mount....guess who hit it?

This Magicezy was all I had on hand to fix a deep gouge under the waterline. It took me a while, building layer on layer. I was under the trailer on and off all night.....nothing was stopping our launch at O dark thirty. Not only did it work, but I had some fine wet/dry paper and after sanding and polishing you would be hard pressed to find it.

So, compared to the little touch-up bottles of gel coat and MEK that I used to carry - and would ultimately dry up, this stuff is darn good. Of course you pay a premium for it.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I might have to try mine again, assuming I can find my tube. My results were not as good as @Glassman . I tried to fill in hairline cracks and all I got was a very thin plasticy layer than after a washing or two started to peel around the edges and eventually completely came off.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I might have to try mine again, assuming I can find my tube. My results were not as good as @Glassman . I tried to fill in hairline cracks and all I got was a very thin plasticy layer than after a washing or two started to peel around the edges and eventually completely came off.
First, you have to mix the product well by shaking, squeezing the tube for a while. I didn't do that long enough at first and noticed that the first bit of material to come out was very thin, watery almost.
Then you have to prep the area the same as if using gel coat. All wax and dirt needs to be flushed out of the cracks, which is hard to do with these tiny hairline cracks. Just think, you've probably been polishing and waxing over those cracks for some time now. That's enough to force gunk into the crack. I used a toothbrush and acetone on some areas just to make sure I got it good.
I used a compressed air spray can filled with clean acetone followed by air from one of those Dust-Off cans using the thin nozzle. Then let it dry thoroughly.

In some cases it's easier to run a thin bead of repair material along the crack and use a thin needle to get it started wicking into the crack. Then use a fingertip and force it down into the crack (rubber gloves recommended). If you get the material down into the crack there should be no "edges" after you scrape it and buff it. It should be flush with the surface.

Let it cure at least as long as they recommend...I left it alone for a full day in the hot sun and rubbed it out the next. Of course the manufacturer claims that you don't need to buff it out. I buffed it out. That's what I do.

There should be no repair material on the surrounding surface, just in the crack. Some deeper spots got a second treatment.

Click the "How to use" tab.:
http://www.magicezy.com/products/hairline-fix/

Don't expect your first pass to come out perfect, it may, but mine didn't. There is a technique to using this stuff. Take your time and don't tackle too big an area. If you make a mess, wipe it off with acetone. Start over.

I'll set an alarm on my phone to remind me to take photos when next we go out to the river.:cool:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used Snow White. You know, like the chick in the book.:cool:
That is really cold, man. I never would have guessed you could be so cruel. And then going online to boast about it.

Wait a minute...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is really cold, man. I never would have guessed you could be so cruel. And then going online to boast about it.

Wait a minute...
Uh...yeah, now that I read that it takes on a whole new meaning...

I should have said I purchased the "Snow White" color. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

And to think I almost wrote, " I spread Snow White on my cracks"......

:eek: