• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help - boat nearly sank, engines flooded

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So as expected this is going to be written off by insurance. Got the payout offer and info today. They suggested I pick it up from the dealer tomorrow to stop incurring storage charges and I’ll pick up the estimate of repair as well since I’m pretty curious to see it.

they gave me a very fair salvage offer to purchase the boat back if I wanted to so I may post it up and see if anyone is interested in it as a project.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
probably the best outcome for you,

after 2-3 days of not running and knowing ECU and everything electrical was exposed the potential for long term issues was great,

Thanks for keeping us updated and at least "that" happened to the old boat!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
probably the best outcome for you,

after 2-3 days of not running and knowing ECU and everything electrical was exposed the potential for long term issues was great,

Thanks for keeping us updated and at least "that" happened to the old boat!

Yeah...2nd bilge pump and alarm into the new boat tomorrow.

I also looked at a 2020 242SE today. Wow those are nice! Auto bilge and also a light that comes on at the dash when it’s running. Guess they recognized there’s a potential for serious water intake lol

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Estimate...
image2 (2).jpegimage0 (1).jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the Insurance give you a salvage value yet? Could make for an excellent project boat for you or someone else. I have been looking around for something at different auctions and salvage yards, now that I am working on my boat full time.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did the Insurance give you a salvage value yet? Could make for an excellent project boat for you or someone else. I have been looking around for something at different auctions and salvage yards, now that I am working on my boat full time.
Yes they did. I just posted this in the classifieds...

I wish I did, but I don't know that I have the time to take on a project like this. Plus, I don't have anywhere to work on it except outside or at the storage lot and neither are shaded, and it is HOT AS B***S here right now and for the next 6 months.

I was sweating buckets just changing the cover on my GPS puck a couple hours ago.

easyliving609

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes they did. I just posted this in the classifieds...

I wish I did, but I don't know that I have the time to take on a project like this. Plus, I don't have anywhere to work on it except outside or at the storage lot and neither are shaded, and it is HOT AS B***S here right now and for the next 6 months.

I was sweating buckets just changing the cover on my GPS puck a couple hours ago.
Sent you a PM at your earliest convenience

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boy they are just THROWING parts at it.

$800 in rubber mounts?
$1,675 in wiring harness?
$127 in hose bands?
$1,675 in wiring harnesses?
$1,231 in Manhole Cover Assemblies?

This looks like the dealership throwing the kitchen sink at it without looking at it and actually determining what's wrong. While I've never sunk a boat I've brought many vehicles back from "dead engine" sales. Takes some time, some diagnosis effort, and careful checking of each component to know what is/isn't good.

Assuming the cylinder walls haven't rusted/corroded yet, and you removed the water from elsewhere in the engine, I seriously doubt things like the throttle body assembly, and wiring harness will need to replaced. If they are inoperable, they can most likely be cleaned/refurbished into working order. I really really wish I could put eyes on it in short order.

You already had another boat in hand, which is good, and this is certainly an easy way to get insurance to cover it as a total loss. So at least you're whole again.

Cheryl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have almost the exact same boat - 2014 242 Limited. We were out in Tampa Bay this past weekend and started taking on significant amounts of water. We were lucky and detected it sooner because the engines didn't feel quite right. We stopped taking on water once the engines were off. We had our mechanic look at it and the leak was coming through our mid-drives and the bearings and seals are bad. We are lucky and the engines weren't damaged, we were even able to flush them once we got it on the lift.

We are trying to decide what we want to do. We have over 1000 hours on our engines and were thinking we wanted to sell it before this happened.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First, very sorry for your experience. I am new owner with a good degree of paranoia as I learn all about this and my boat sits at a slip on the water without me there. I can't seem to find what the root cause was?

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boy they are just THROWING parts at it.

$800 in rubber mounts?
$1,675 in wiring harness?
$127 in hose bands?
$1,675 in wiring harnesses?
$1,231 in Manhole Cover Assemblies?

This looks like the dealership throwing the kitchen sink at it without looking at it and actually determining what's wrong. While I've never sunk a boat I've brought many vehicles back from "dead engine" sales. Takes some time, some diagnosis effort, and careful checking of each component to know what is/isn't good.

Assuming the cylinder walls haven't rusted/corroded yet, and you removed the water from elsewhere in the engine, I seriously doubt things like the throttle body assembly, and wiring harness will need to replaced. If they are inoperable, they can most likely be cleaned/refurbished into working order. I really really wish I could put eyes on it in short order.

You already had another boat in hand, which is good, and this is certainly an easy way to get insurance to cover it as a total loss. So at least you're whole again.
Yeah that's my take on it too. Dealership probably figured insurance wasn't going to cover it in the end so they just threw the kitchen sink at it in parts to get them to write it off.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have almost the exact same boat - 2014 242 Limited. We were out in Tampa Bay this past weekend and started taking on significant amounts of water. We were lucky and detected it sooner because the engines didn't feel quite right. We stopped taking on water once the engines were off. We had our mechanic look at it and the leak was coming through our mid-drives and the bearings and seals are bad. We are lucky and the engines weren't damaged, we were even able to flush them once we got it on the lift.

We are trying to decide what we want to do. We have over 1000 hours on our engines and were thinking we wanted to sell it before this happened.
That's interesting....most often, those bearings only leak when the engine is idling, not when it's moving. Also, I just had both of mine completely redone in March so I HOPE that wasn't the cause....

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First, very sorry for your experience. I am new owner with a good degree of paranoia as I learn all about this and my boat sits at a slip on the water without me there. I can't seem to find what the root cause was?
It was never determined. Dealer thinks maybe a leak in a hose combined with a failed/clogged bilge pump. There wasn't anything obvious. Of course it could be midbearings as well but without putting the boat back in the water you wouldn't be able to tell.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The infamous scupper failure ? That’s easy to check reach in and wiggle the hose maybe it’s sheared off

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@FLJetBoater,

sorry to hear for the complete lose brother. I was totally pulling for you that you would get those engines running again but this was probably for the best. We’ve all probably learned from Your experience, I know you have, so there was some good that eventually comes of this. No one got hurt, you had it insured and at the end of the day you can crack open a cold one and have a great story to tell.

Enjoy looking for a new boat. Not sure how that will go with the lack of inventory but, you never know brother.

Cheers and keep us updated if you find a new one. 🍻👍

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He already has a new boat.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks I was hoping so too...I would have much rather sold it to someone who could have used it right away. Although even if I did get it running again it was probably a ticking time bomb with the electrical and whatever else.

Yeah we already had the new boat but didn't have the CJS steering or EZ locks or other updates I wanted to do before using it, so we took this one out instead for a farewell voyage.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got some feedback on this….seems that the port muffler 2 (the straight piece from the manifold to the through hull) had some pinhole leaks on the top side. Only 1 small stream at idle but several and more powerful when throttle was applied. That, combined with probably a plugged or failed bilge pump swamped the engines.

anyone ever heard of the muffler developing pinhole leaks in it?