• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help - boat nearly sank, engines flooded

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally got some feedback on this….seems that the port muffler 2 (the straight piece from the manifold to the through hull) had some pinhole leaks on the top side. Only 1 small stream at idle but several and more powerful when throttle was applied. That, combined with probably a plugged or failed bilge pump swamped the engines.

anyone ever heard of the muffler developing pinhole leaks in it?
I have seen failed hose clamps causing leaks or mass failure and cracks in the muffler.

INSTALL A HIGH WATER ALARM TODAY!!!!!!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have seen failed hose clamps causing leaks or mass failure and cracks in the muffler.

INSTALL A HIGH WATER ALARM TODAY!!!!!!
This leak was halfway down the pipe, nowhere near a clamp.

and yes I do have a 2nd bilge and alarm hooked to it in the new boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This leak was halfway down the pipe, nowhere near a clamp.

and yes I do have a 2nd bilge and alarm hooked to it in the new boat.
Just slap some flex seal on it and call it a day! LOL

Never heard of pinholes like this.....photos???

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just slap some flex seal on it and call it a day! LOL

Never heard of pinholes like this.....photos???
LOL....I'll ask for some pictures, but he said they weren't visible unless the water was coming out of them they were that small.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had leaks like that on a Seadoo 717 engine. They were notorious for having leaks at the weld points. I must have had that welded at least 3 times on each engine.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One is engine off, spraying one is medium throttle and bubbling one is idle

Attachments

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is from an old boat that I had that sank and was written off. It was a 2014 242LS
Ok so you did not replace it yet ???. just curious if you replace it with another 24-25 Yamaha boat

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so you did not replace it yet ???. just curious if you replace it with another 24-25 Yamaha boat
Yes I did….2020 242SE

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Wow that's a good upgrade!!!

A lot more tech and the electronic throttle, big bimini etc etc Nice Boat

Congrats

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little bit off of the main topic. I've read of replacing the original clamps with stainless steel. I think the main clamps are the clean out ports. Any other clamps I should replace? My boat is fresh water.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A little bit off of the main topic. I've read of replacing the original clamps with stainless steel. I think the main clamps are the clean out ports. Any other clamps I should replace? My boat is fresh water.
On my boat, 2012 SX210, each clean out port has 2 clamps and each exhaust has 4 clamps, two at the thru hull and two at the water box. There are a few other smaller clamps back there as well (water intake, thermostat out,…)

3abadi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
On my boat, 2012 SX210, each clean out port has 2 clamps and each exhaust has 4 clamps, two at the thru hull and two at the water box. There are a few other smaller clamps back there as well (water intake, thermostat out,…)
The clean out ports tubes are an area where leaks could happen even if you have the clamps on. It happened to me. The boat was taking a lot of water in, checked everything; cooling hoses, clamps, the hull, everything, nothing suspicious. However, I noticed that when I wanted to remove the clean out plugs, it had no water inside the tube like usual. I poured some water in, and here it is draining back into the bilge area. The silicon at the bottom opened up and every time the boat takes water it all goes inside.

satty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Other
Nano hulls are failing all over the place. I have had Yamahas for 30+ years and used them on hdryoport drive on lifts. The Nano hull litterally can't hold up where there is not reinforcement from the fuel cell. You can see on my 2018 VX that they hull has completely failed in the area where there is no support behind the plastic/glass they call Nano. Yamaha has an issue with these hulls. Has anyone been successful workting with the manufacturer on repairs or replacements? I called and they sent me to local dealer whe basically says "the don't work on the hull". Please help if you have any suggestions. I love Yamaha but this may be my last -

Attachments

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nano hulls are failing all over the place. I have had Yamahas for 30+ years and used them on hdryoport drive on lifts. The Nano hull litterally can't hold up where there is not reinforcement from the fuel cell. You can see on my 2018 VX that they hull has completely failed in the area where there is no support behind the plastic/glass they call Nano. Yamaha has an issue with these hulls. Has anyone been successful workting with the manufacturer on repairs or replacements? I called and they sent me to local dealer whe basically says "the don't work on the hull". Please help if you have any suggestions. I love Yamaha but this may be my last -
Where were you when the hull failed?

Tip - Include your location in your profile so other’s can potentially suggestion solutions that would be local to you.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like those two spots have been rubbing on something. Does it stay on a lift? Do you trailer quite a bit? I would think a failed hull would have sharper edges and strands of fiberglass visible and I’m not seeing it.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
yeah that damage is not from any normal kind of use. there is something else going on there. some type of impact started it then it just got bigger and worse. granted nano isnt as strong a regular laminated glass but its not weak either. my ski is nano2 and its 450hp running 90mph. never had the slightest issue with it. its not like nano is some type of new thing. its been used for years. there has always been the random person that ive seen with an issue but nothing wide spread across the board.