• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help with retrieving boat in crosswind!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you, so with that information you are now aware that you have an additional option if you decide you want even more steering influence at slow speeds, because this was designed to be added to the system you ordered as described above.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Bdray86 , I just completed an upgrade on my boat from the Super Magnum AK-19 to the SMAK-19 "Deluxe". The last picture in Jeff's reply to you (post #18) is of my completed project. For me this was just the addition of the upper fins on the inner side of each nozzle and replacing the original single fin mounting bracket with the new double fin planing bracket. Simple 30 minute job but the difference was noticed immediately. I keep my boat backed in a 10' wide wet slip-on a lift. This past week after completing the upgrade I took the boat out for a test ride. It was pretty windy and backing into my slip often involves fighting a cross wind. It was probably gusting from 15-20 mph as I approached. Hitting a 10' slip in a boat with almost 9' keel is never easy for me even on a calm day , but I nailed it this time. I would highly recommend the "deluxe" upgrade to anyone if only for the slow speed handling improvement & especially in reverse !!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the ramp we use has a pretty decent cross current and cross wind. My wife can’t back a trailer to save her life so she is always the one loading the boat ( 2019 AR240). She struggles getting the boat lined up on the trailer with the current and wind. Cobra jet fins will be here tomorrow and installed. But looking for something else to assist. Busy ramp and usually crowded. So anything to help speed up the loading time and ensure proper loading would be great. We had the PVC guides on the last trailer with our last boat but they flexed a lot. Anything solid out there that won’t flex out of the way? I know guides are more for visual reference, but she always get so nervous loading so hoping to find something to help center the boat.
My wife's first time in a jet, we had the same experience. Severe cross winds, she missed first try. We had no cobra fins. I ordered the fins that day and installed them before the next weekend. Between the veevee guides and the fins she loaded right up. Its more confidence and throttle control. O. Throttle adjustments , off throttle glide straight.

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Take her to a big parking lot and teach her to back up the trailer. It is easier because you don't need to worry about waves or wind.

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take her to a big parking lot and teach her to back up the trailer. It is easier because you don't need to worry about waves or wind.
Yeah I have suggested that. Just hard with work schedules and kids. I am just going to throw her out of the boat one of these days and make her go get the truck! 😂

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yeah I have suggested that. Just hard with work schedules and kids. I am just going to throw her out of the boat one of these days and make her go get the truck! 😂
I just told my wife I needed her to go get the truck one day that the ramp was slow.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol

I thought about that too. Then my realistic thoughts kicked in. How much damage can she do while stressed trying back a trailer out of the busy parking lot.

She is really good with loading and unloading. I got the trailer.

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol

I thought about that too. Then my realistic thoughts kicked in. How much damage can she do while stressed trying back a trailer out of the busy parking lot.

She is really good with loading and unloading. I got the trailer.
It’s a very easy ramp as far as parking lots go. HUGE turn around at the top of the ramp. She just can’t do it. First time we ever launched a boat had it back up to the top of the ramp. Told her to just get in and back straight down. She gets in and immediately cuts the wheel. 🤦‍♂️

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s a very easy ramp as far as parking lots go. HUGE turn around at the top of the ramp. She just can’t do it. First time we ever launched a boat had it back up to the top of the ramp. Told her to just get in and back straight down. She gets in and immediately cuts the wheel. 🤦‍♂️
Must be nice , our lot is tight as hell. Plus its a small lake has a max boat capacity that should be at least half as much.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It helps build confidence backing a trailer when there's nothing around to hit. The ramp we use most has enough room for 6-8 boats to launch/load at once.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I do the same, everyone keeps much calmer this way.... ;)
SAME. She’s good at holding the boat and making friends with other boaters. That allows me to concentrate on the retrieval process.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Get a Ford with the Pro Backup Assist. I've had it on my last 2 pickups. I've never used it personally besides just playing around, but after the first 2-3 trips doing it all myself, I decided to show her how to use it. Game changer! She now backs the truck down the ramp, I drive the boat off, then she goes to park it. I pick her up, and we're off. Back to the ramp, I drop her off at the dock and hover 50 yards out until she gets in the water with the trailer. I have a VHF on the boat and a handheld in the truck, so I can tell her left or right without yelling through an open window. We are heroes at the ramp. She loved it so much, she basically said when I was truck shopping a month ago that I'd better get that feature again or she won't be backing the boat in.

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get a Ford with the Pro Backup Assist. I've had it on my last 2 pickups. I've never used it personally besides just playing around, but after the first 2-3 trips doing it all myself, I decided to show her how to use it. Game changer! She now backs the truck down the ramp, I drive the boat off, then she goes to park it. I pick her up, and we're off. Back to the ramp, I drop her off at the dock and hover 50 yards out until she gets in the water with the trailer. I have a VHF on the boat and a handheld in the truck, so I can tell her left or right without yelling through an open window. We are heroes at the ramp. She loved it so much, she basically said when I was truck shopping a month ago that I'd better get that feature again or she won't be backing the boat in.
I was lucky enough to get her to agree to a 60k boat. Would be pushing gym luck for a 60k truck too! 😂. We just need to find a day where the ramp is empty and can tie to boat to the dock and let her practice. Mine has a back up camera now. She just over corrects badly.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It might help to have walk-in talkies or some way to communicate. Although, that gives another method of swearing at you too lol.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was lucky enough to get her to agree to a 60k boat. Would be pushing gym luck for a 60k truck too! 😂. We just need to find a day where the ramp is empty and can tie to boat to the dock and let her practice. Mine has a back up camera now. She just over corrects badly.
have her place one hand at the bottom of the wheel and the direction that her hand goes on the bottom of the wheel is the way the trailer goes. This helps with over correcting. Obviously backing a trailer is counter intuitive , this makes the direction intuitive.

Last edited:

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have her place one hand at the bottom of the wheel and the direction that her hand goes on the bottom of the wheel is the way the trailer goes. This helps with over correcting. Obviously backing a trailer is counter intuitive , this make the direction intuitive.
That’s great advice. Never thought of it that way. Just kinda of always could figure it out myself.

Bdray86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll chime in with a few ideas. Loading a boat on a trailer is definitely a challenge in a crosswind, so since my situation is similar, wife wont back the trailer down the ramp, you can try these simple adjustments.

First, make sure you have a long sturdy boat pole, and 2 dock lines at least 25 feet long.

You back the trailer down, then get out of the car, walk to the dock so you will be along side her as she approaches the trailer. If the wind is pushing away from the dock, have lines already on bow and stern, dockside. She tosses you the lines, she nudges the throttle, and you make sure the nose of the boat lines up, uses both lines to "steer" her in.

If the wind will be pushing sideways into the dock instead, you don't really need the lines, just have the boat hook ready to push the boat off enough to get the nose of the boat between the guides. If you dont have the guide post yet, I suggest installing them. Once the bow passes the posts, you just push the stern enough to straighten her out.

Good luck, we have all been there. When the wife is stressed, no one is happy.
There is not a dock along side the ramp. It’s a little ways away and angled off from the ramp. So that’s not an option

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That’s how I learned.
have her place one hand at the bottom of the wheel and the direction that her hand goes on the bottom of the wheel is the way the trailer goes. This helps with over correcting. Obviously backing a trailer is counter intuitive , this makes the direction intuitive.