• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

hot water in center storage

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At high speeds you won't get much water in the bow area. At low speeds in moderate chop and even at the dock waves can get to these areas. I had a 215 that I spent hours on trying to find where water was coming from. It ended up being from the bow eye andoctor was letting enough water in that the customer stated sometimes his bilge would kick on every 15-20 min.

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a pic of a jet pump where the oring got during installation, it allowed water to get into the impeller cover and bearing. As you can see the bearing is in pieces. If you look closely there is a nylock nut on the impeller shafts. If that nut comes off it destroys the entire pump housing. When this comes off it can cause damage to the driveshaft from the impeller wobbling violently.

Attachments

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, you need to stop posting. That is a picture of the forward section of a pump with the cavitation cone removed. What you are looking at is damage caused due to water intrusion and mixture with the bearing grease. This will not cause water to come into the bilge, it will just cause premature wear on the impeller bearings. Also, that "nut" is the end of the shaft that is metal. Its what you would clamp on to when removing the impeller while you spin the other end with a Rotax impeller removal tool. I ask you again, where do you get your training?

Here's a pic of a jet pump where the oring got during installation, it allowed water to get into the impeller cover and bearing. As you can see the bearing is in pieces. If you look closely there is a nylock nut on the impeller shafts. If that nut comes off it destroys the entire pump housing. When this comes off it can cause damage to the driveshaft from the impeller wobbling violently.

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your corect. The reason I posted it was the comment someone stating that there is not a nut in the jet pump. I had one that was tightened from the factory, no thread marks in the nylon. I'm not trying to give bs info.

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I let a friend take my boat out and he didn't experiance hot water in ski locker like I have, every time I go out. Maybe it's the way I drive the rig? I was told carbon seal looks great by J&R Marine center. I definitely throttle full power a lot... I just don't know if this is just truly the design of the boat. I'm just going to keep boating, stop worrying so much. Also has anyone found a good tool for cleaning out the grate/impeller area?

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi all

Has anyone experianced water getting into the center storage compartment between the captains chairs? it doesn't fill up but i did notice a pool of water in this area after a very long day of boating. it does drain out when i pull out the water. when I seen this I immediately looked in the motor compartment and no water is visible at all. I only noticed this after my break in when I opened it up... @ScarabMike This storage compartment does have a drain hole. Just don't know if this is normal... Thanks in advance
UPDATE....

@Slugger55 gave me a call and he had really good questions on how I park my 195 HOI.

I have to be honest here...I'm a complete biscuit head!

The water coming in my boat is left over rain water, wake boarding and always jumping of the plate form DIVING IN THE LAKE water. I noticed how wet my friends and I are when entering the boat. When stepping rear to center, water just gets in and works its way down the motor area to the bilge area. There is a small area where water, builds up between the ski locker and before the bilge. the water is lower than the bilge line so, thats why it doesn't suck out. The hot water is from the motor not carbon seal. @Slugger55 explained to me where to look for the leak and nothing appeared at all. Its me being a rookie and not understanding the boat yet or even boating in itself. But hey I will learn how to wrench on this boat.

This Scarab has been awesome and even perfect now knowing how solid it has truly been. I have 33hrs on it and it turns everyones head and performs like a beast in chop @ full throttle. I want to thank @ScarabMike and @Slugger55 for all the help. I plan to stay active on these forums. I also plan on upgrading next year in 2017 'winter' to the 21' twin 250hp SC fully loaded.

As for Mike Stephani at Scarab...He has been great to me personally. I can't understand why its been difficult for others...

Now go buy those scarabs

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@702mireles I will be very curious as to how much water you find after you store the boat with your new cover. When you store the boat loosen the ratchet and pull up on the cover where it wraps around the tower. Squeeze the fabric together to engage the velcro. This will help with keeping water and debris out..

702mireles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@702mireles I will be very curious as to how much water you find after you store the boat with your new cover. When you store the boat loosen the ratchet and pull up on the cover where it wraps around the tower. Squeeze the fabric together to engage the velcro. This will help with keeping water and debris out..
Thank you I surely will do that...Still waiting on it. They were 2 weeks on back order so I have around 5 days left till it ships...hope ur well

Stantm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Rain water collects in the ski locker..there is no pump at the lowest point of the boat. when I drove around during the day the water moved to the engine compartment.
The water got warm and sort of circulated back and forth from ski locker to engine. It was toasty but normal.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have water in the ski locker, look into the bilge, and under the engine. The water gets hot due to contact with the engine. Check the water level often. If You water level doesn't rise, or your pump does not activate, you are good.
If one of the two happens, especially while under way, you have a carbon seal failing.

If your seal has completely failed, as soon as you dip the rear of the boat at the ramp, open your engine bay. Feel behind the catalytic towards the hull, you will feel the shaft and seal. If you feel water, or hear streaming water, your seal has failed or your plugs are not closed.

Stantm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
No it is just water from the water sports equipment and some rain water. Not enough to activate the pump yet enough to move back and forth to from engine compartment to ski locker...I would say around a gallon of water.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I'm wondering if anyone has installed another bilge pump in the ski locker, which seems to be the lowest spot in the boat when it's sitting in the water. Any water that goes into the cabin floor drain flows into the ski locker while the bilge stays dry. Scarab should redesign this, perhaps by raising the bottom of the ski locker.

Gary Herman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My locker always has water in it. Rain, water from feet, wakeboards, lifejackets, etc. all seem to funnel down into the locker. Given the reward leaning slope of the boat if there was water in the locker from a leak in the rear I would check the engine compartment for water as well. My engine compartment water free, which is why I think the water in the locker is from outside...minus the time we launched the boat with the plugs not inserted. :(
I have a 2018. 255 HO and noticed small amounts of water in the locker almost immediately as well,. Just seems to be normal due to the flat ride of the boat...I hope. This thread seems to confirm. Thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gary Herman glad to have you on board, we need more Scarab info, update your profile with your location and it will automatically add you to the member map,

be sure to read the chaparral and glastron sections also as they all share the rotax power,