• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to replace Reverse Gate cable

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah I’m with ya on that one. I guess the one argument is that any small leak would be going into the bilge. But def agree there should be something more there.
Just like those crappy clamps. I swapped them all out when I installed new cable along with throttle cable for peace of mind.
PO must of had no idea who to properly maintain it.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Bruce and Julian...I'm worried....I ordered (and received) CCX63317 shift cables for my 2011 242 LS. Can't find what source of info I used to check they were correct. The above shows the 63318...and the last two numbers are the cable length, I think. So the ones I've ordered are 17 feet long. I also recently replaced the steering cables, which were also 17 feet long. So I would have thought, particularly because the throttles are nearer the stern, that these 17 feet cables would still fit?

Thanks,
J.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jezzaaa, the 17’ cables may work. The best information that I have is that the reverse bucket cables for your boat are 18’.

Can you swap the 17’ cables for 18? Might be preferable to do so before you test whether they fit.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jezzaaa, the 17’ cables may work. The best information that I have is that the reverse bucket cables for your boat are 18’.

Can you swap the 17’ cables for 18? Might be preferable to do so before you test whether they fit.
Hi Bruce...it would be hard to swap them...I ordered them from the US but live in Abu Dhabi, and it took a couple of weeks to get them. The local dealers here just don't carry those kind of things in stock, or charge a lot more for them. I went down to the boat today with the cables and laid them out from the throttles out to the swim platform. I'd say they look more than long enough, accounting for the drop from the throttles and the run across the fuel tank and through the transom. Going to give it a go anyhow. But thanks for the advice :)

J.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jezzaaa, if they turn out to be too short you may be able to find another route that works.

Good luck, please let us know if they fit and if you have any questions.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Bruce - fitted the 17ft ones today. Plenty long enough. Indeed, the longer ones would have just had more cable looping around in the fuel tank compartment. So I can confirm that CCX63317 ones do indeed fit very well :)

Thanks,
J.

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
getting ready to replace my cables, both steering and reverse, anyone know of a youtube video i can watch to see whats involved?

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Go back one page on this post. There is a screen shot of all the pieces to that threaded plastic assembly. I’m pretty sure that large plastic nut comes off which will allow you to pull it all apart.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Go back one page on this post. There is a screen shot of all the pieces to that threaded plastic assembly. I’m pretty sure that large plastic nut comes off which will allow you to pull it all apart.
I’m not sure it does. It’s past the threaded part. The nut was actually on the inside and this bolt type piece was on the outside. It seems to me that it’s molded right onto the cable.

also, doesn’t appear that the 2020 cables are seastar anymore the ends are slightly different and the stock cables are fatter than the red seastar 33c ones.

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not sure it does. It’s past the threaded part. The nut was actually on the inside and this bolt type piece was on the outside. It seems to me that it’s molded right onto the cable.

also, doesn’t appear that the 2020 cables are seastar anymore the ends are slightly different and the stock cables are fatter than the red seastar 33c ones.
You have to force the cable back out, remove the small white clip which holds it in a groove on the cable the there is a rubber packing in there

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You have to force the cable back out, remove the small white clip which holds it in a groove on the cable the there is a rubber packing in there
There’s no clip though….I’ll try again but it really looks like this is a different design than earlier models

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the parts picture its part of the cable, so you just have to remove the one side nut and pull though

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There’s no clip though….I’ll try again but it really looks like this is a different design than earlier models
It is different, looked up the different years

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It is different, looked up the different years
I tried all I could to pull it through. I’ll throw it on the bench press tonight and see if I can push it out.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the parts blow up picture its one piece with the cable. So looks like there might not be much a/m parts for it and its yamaha only.
All the prior years it comes off cant see why they would change the design for the last year in the model run, with a new boat the following year

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what was used m/y 19 and earlier
Screenshot_20220327-193557_Chrome.jpg

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what was used m/y 19 and earlier
View attachment 174362
That picture is completely different than what is on the 2020s. It’s one through hull and a nut. There is ZERO chance that cable is coming out. There’s a bit of white residue right at the end of the cable I am guessing that they either 4200/5200 it in there. Also, it’s actually installed backwards from what the parts diagram shows. My nut was on the inside of the bilge. The plastic bolt and rubber washer went through from the outside to the inside.

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That picture is completely different than what is on the 2020s. It’s one through hull and a nut. There is ZERO chance that cable is coming out. There’s a bit of white residue right at the end of the cable I am guessing that they either 4200/5200 it in there. Also, it’s actually installed backwards from what the parts diagram shows. My nut was on the inside of the bilge. The plastic bolt and rubber washer went through from the outside to the inside.
Do you have another cable yet? Wonder if you can replace with older style and through hull fitting.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have another cable yet? Wonder if you can replace with older style and through hull fitting.
No not yet won’t have for a few days. But, with just a regular through hull what (aside from 4200/5200) is preventing the cable from slipping inside the through hull? A regular through hull wouldn’t have a stop or tapered inside for the cable to lock onto. That’s where I’m confused and am curious if it’s actually molded onto the cable. Otherwise I don’t see anything actually holding the cable in place.
I’m going to call a dealership tomorrow and see if their techs have any experience with these so I at least know what to expect when the new cables come.