• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to replace Reverse Gate cable

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just did this on my '04 SX230 and did not remove the through hull fitting with all the caulk/silicone. Once I removed the exterior plastic nut, I was able to pull the cable through. I released it at the binnacle, and attached the new cable to the old and then pulled it right through.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally took mine out yesterday after the swap. Had a WHOLE lotta vibration in my throttle, gonna have to raise the buckets a little more than the original threads were at.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok @Julian said there are three bolts to get the two binnacles apart. I removed number 8. Where are the other two?8D4D3C63-8146-474E-9BC2-F1A99610AA8D.png

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok @Julian said there are three bolts to get the two binnacles apart. I removed number 8. Where are the other two?View attachment 119681
On mine there were two at the top and one at the bottom (#8).

Here is the parts diagram from my model year. They don't show all three on the diagram, but they are #4. They show one of the #4 at the top, there is another on the other side in the same position.
1590007102668.png

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you. They were hiding under foam. I used the 1/4” fuel line method and pulled from the bilge with no issues.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is neutral supposed to be about a 1 inch opening on the nozzles?

ranr0d

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
How did you know what length of cable to order? That universal cable you purchased comes in different lengths.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Partzilla allows you to look up your year and model boat and gives you and exploded view of all the parts.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you get the Amazon cables, before you start feeding the new cable check the lengths of the ends of the new cable vs the old one. I have a 2012 SX240 and the part # is different from the 2011 boats - but the number stamped on the side of the cable is the same. And the # stamped on the ACTUAL cables is the same. The exact length of the sleeve (18' +/-) doesn't matter BUT the distance from where the cable "locks in" to the throttle to the end DOES matter. The same Teleflex cables [CCX3318] from Amazon were 11/16" too long for my boat. YMMV...!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, you have to remove that and all the silicon.
Can you elaborate on why you have to remove that nut? From what I can see on mine, it's quite open in the middle so you can easily pass the cable through it, the silicone on the inside is only around the OUTSIDE of the black washer. There's no silicone or sealant around the white threads or between the white thing and the hull or between the black washer and the hull.

When I did my cable replacement today, I took the first one off because I remember reading it. But once I cleaned out all the silicone from the inside and realized none was actually under the black washer, I left the second one on. I did remove all the silicone on the inside and re-sealed with 4200 on both sides.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you elaborate on why you have to remove that nut? From what I can see on mine, it's quite open in the middle so you can easily pass the cable through it, the silicone on the inside is only around the OUTSIDE of the black washer. There's no silicone or sealant around the white threads or between the white thing and the hull or between the black washer and the hull.

When I did my cable replacement today, I took the first one off because I remember reading it. But once I cleaned out all the silicone from the inside and realized none was actually under the black washer, I left the second one on. I did remove all the silicone on the inside and re-sealed with 4200 on both sides.
Perhaps you dont have to, but I preferred to removed and reseal with fresh silicon as on my boat it was 10 years old.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Perhaps you dont have to, but I preferred to removed and reseal with fresh silicon as on my boat it was 10 years old.
OK, thanks. I did remove all the silicone and reseal thet inside, I just didn't discover any silicone between the threaded part and the hull or the washer and the hull, so seemed unnecessary to me to remove it. Definitely needs to be resealed though, because the sealant goes up around the cable as well. Once you pull that old cable through you've destroyed that seal job on the inside.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also mine didn't look to be sealed with anything as strong as 4200. Looked like some clear very rubbery silicone.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced mine and wondered about all that silicone where cable goes through fitting. That is a poor fitting design

I thought PO forgot to reinstall grommet and threaded cap that would completely seal cable like whats on the outside.
I wonder if you can use 2nd grommet on inside and cap to fit other end?

Attachments

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just replaced mine and wondered about all that silicone where cable goes through fitting. That is a poor fitting design

I thought PO forgot to reinstall grommet and threaded cap that would completely seal cable like whats on the outside.
I wonder if you can use 2nd grommet on inside and cap to fit other end?
All of the parts in that image are for the exterior connection. Is there something for the interior connection? On the inside of my hull in the clean out area I have a black plastic nut. I don’t see that in the diagram you posted.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All of the parts in that image are for the exterior connection. Is there something for the interior connection? On the inside of my hull in the clean out area I have a black plastic nut. I don’t see that in the diagram you posted.

Exactly, cable is sealed from the outside but on the inside theres nothing to seal cable but silicone.?
Its just weird thats all that seals cable going through fitting. I thought I was missing something.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Exactly, cable is sealed from the outside but on the inside theres nothing to seal cable but silicone.?
Its just weird thats all that seals cable going through fitting. I thought I was missing something.
Yeah I’m with ya on that one. I guess the one argument is that any small leak would be going into the bilge. But def agree there should be something more there.