• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to replace Reverse Gate cable

Rishi44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've only done the reverse gate cables....I don't think it makes any difference which way you pull them. That said, I pulled mine towards the stern. If you have 2 people it is pretty simple. Don't recall what the sizes were of the nuts....
Hi Julian,
I have a 2008 sx210 and I wanted to change out my steering and reverse cables as well. Do you happen to have the teleflex part numbers?
I took a look underneath my shifters the other day and these are the part numbers I found
CC63319 TFX (for 2 cables)
TFX 72201 (for 2 cables)
From what I have found out online, it looks like I need SSC21916 and SSC21917 for the steering cables, but just wanted to confirm.
I haven't checked near the boat cleanout area yet so I don't have the yamaha steering cable numbers handy.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Rishi44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm about to change both gate cables and both steering cables on a Yamaha SX210, (year 2010). this forum was a great help! Thank You
Hello Tom,
Do you happen to have the teleflex cable numbers for the sx210? I plan on changing both cables as well on my sx210.

Thanks

Rishi44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Bruce,

On the thread you linked me, I was unable to find the numbers for a 2008 sx 210, they had 2012 listed. But I have made a post on that thread so I'l wait I get a reply.

Thanks

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Bruce,
I was unable to find the part numbers for a 2008 sx 210 on the thread you linked me So I have posted over there, hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks
Rishi 44,
I didn't use Teleflex, I bought original Yamaha cables, Steering and Gate, from "Sports Plaza" in Oregon. They were about $150.00 each for the steering cables and about a $100.00 for the gate/reverse cables. Their website offers a great diagram for parts but the numbers are probably for Yamaha parts. In any event you are gonna have to open the deck plate to slide the steering cables forward to the wheel. The screws holding down the deck plate are almost impossible to unscrew. You need a" Robertson # bit" but it didn't work for my 2010 model 210. I had to drill the screws out. Go slow and be patient. Good Luck

Tom

Rishi44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rishi 44,
I didn't use Teleflex, I bought original Yamaha cables, Steering and Gate, from "Sports Plaza" in Oregon. They were about $150.00 each for the steering cables and about a $100.00 for the gate/reverse cables. Their website offers a great diagram for parts but the numbers are probably for Yamaha parts. In any event you are gonna have to open the deck plate to slide the steering cables forward to the wheel. The screws holding down the deck plate are almost impossible to unscrew. You need a" Robertson # bit" but it didn't work for my 2010 model 210. I had to drill the screws out. Go slow and be patient. Good Luck

Tom
Thanks Tom for the source for the Yamaha cables and for letting me know about may having to drill the screws. I'll have a look at the teleflex cables from another source. If I have any questions more I'll let you know.
Thanks again.

fireslayin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New boater here, but i did confirm on my 2009 ar210 the following parts
Reverse gate cable seastar cc63319
Steering cable seastar ssc21916

Both steering cable are the same part code.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Feels like my starboard bucket cable has had better days, less than three years old and time to change :mad:.

Any info on part number etc would be really helpful, just looking into the process regarding 2016 onward boats with the keel, I know the steering is different but hopefully the bucket cable isn't.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any thoughts on the length of the cable needed for an 2010 AR240 reverse bucket? I saw @Julian indicated he used 17'.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My shift lever is stuck in neutral, do I need a new shift/throttle assembly??

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have a gate unlock button in the center of your throttle lever? It is a rubber button that many people don't even know is there. Push it and it allows the throttles to be rev'd without moving the buckets. Try this to see if the throttle moves, and perhaps pushing/fiddling with this will free up whatever is sticking??? (not all boats have this, and I've not been able to determine any pattern to which do and don't. My 2005 SX230 did.)

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Helpful hint for those who have trouble getting the screws that hold the throttle assembly to the hull. At least for my 2004... DON'T FIGHT IT.

Drill out the screws and replace them. They don't go into anything expensive or important. I was soaking them with PB blaster, trying to selectively apply heat, and hitting the screwdriver with a hammer trying to get them to break loose... which resulted in me breaking an ear off the throttle assembly.

This is what the throttle assembly is anchored to... two of these which are held to the hull with passthrough bolts and nuts so easy to remove. Drill out the screw heads, get the expensive throttle assembly out of the way, remove the two straps, place them in a vise, apply heat and use vise grips to get the cold-welded stainless screw stubs out of the aluminum strap.

It's not worth the risk nor the time to mess with it, to save the cost of four stainless screws.

strap.jpg

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got my reverse gate cables installed, but now my port engine won't start. Is there anything in the throttle assembly that would possibly make the engine not start? It feels like it's going into neutral...

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got my reverse gate cables installed, but now my port engine won't start. Is there anything in the throttle assembly that would possibly make the engine not start? It feels like it's going into neutral...
Neutral safety switches?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Neutral safety switches?
Yeah swapped the cleanout switches (I had the hatch out for the cable swap) and I it's consistently the starboard side that runs, regardless... Not quite sure how those switches work in the throttle (and not very happy I'll have to disassemble everything again :( )

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Found the issue. One of the neutral safety switch wires, unbeknownst to me, pulled itself loose inside the hull whilst I was working on the throttle assembly. After finding that and hooking it back up, everything works.

I can't believe how easily the throttle works. It was tougher moving it when I bought it YEARS ago... I didn't know it was supposed to move without virtually any resistance. I wish I had done this years ago!

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Started my reverse cable replacement Friday night in the dark. Messed up and did the wrong cable. Good news is once if did it on Saturday I went back in to correct and had it swapped in now time. On my 14 242 I didn’t even need to snake it. Couldn’t believe how easy I got the new one in and old one out. Thanks for providing the tips!

Btw on the helm thru adapter there was one other gasket-more of a plunger stop piece, but was pretty obvious how it goes in.