• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to use ballast bags without transporting invasive species between lakes?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm thinking about adding some ballast bags to my boat but I am concerned about making sure I am not transporting invasive species when I am bouncing between lakes. I often times get asked with disbelief by the MN DNR about my ballast bags at the launch when I tell them I don't have any. I don't know about other states, but here in MN we have most launches staffed with a DNR agents that inspects your boat before is goes in and after it comes out.

Are there any tricks or special pumps I would need to buy? I know you pump out your bags at the end of the day, but the pump doesn't get 100% of the water out and I want to be as sure as I can be that I'm not f*cking up our lakes more than they already are.

MN guys, what does the DNR ask you about regarding your ballast bags?

you could always do a bleach mixture pump in/out after each outing.. be a PITA but only way to be sure..

I got inspected on leech lake last week and the DNR guy asked if I had ballast bags. I told him no but I will be getting some and he said there can be no water sloshing around in the bag. If they grab the bag and shake it there can't be any water movement. I'm not sure how well a pump empties them

all the ones I have ever used ( (2) Moomba's and the 212X) are basically almost "vacuumed" out by the ballast pump.. otherwise they can get air in them and not fill up completely.

Can you put a port on the top you can leave open during the week so it can evaporate?

all of my bags had purge valves you could remove burp air.. but I doubt it would evaporate much..

Ballast bags should be treated just like a fishing boat's live well. Both hold water while on the water and should be completely drained/dry in order to not transport invasives. That being said it's not enforced that way, I have only heard one DNR officer tell us that we should take a towel and dry out a live well.

So when I have used ballast on a boat, here's what I suggest... Drain as much water as you can back into the lake. Pull the bags (if possible) each time they are used and hang/prop them up so they drain completely. Also time is kinda key too, wait at least 5-7 days before using the bags in another lake. If they aren't dry when you want to use them again in a different lake, go the bleach solution route like @kthrash suggested. Not sure what the % water to bleach mix should be though?

I'm happy that the MN DNR is starting to get a bit smarter about where water can sit when pulling a boat out of a 'infested' lake. BTW, nobody has ever asked about the water that sometimes gets on top of the jet plugs. ;) I have told just about everyone I run into doing inspections that they should be asking about that too...baby steps I guess.

pulling the bags in my 212X was a ROYAL PITA...

Pretty soon, it won't be worth boating anymore. Too many rules and regulations.

My ballast bags get vacuumed out by the pump till they squish up. There is a check valve in the vent that makes it possible. You could add a bleach solution fairly easily and could build an attachment if it was a regular thing. Cam.

Bleach is the only way to be sure.

Thanks guys, great info! I am going to start small with just one bag on the transom and one in the floor locker I think so pulling them when I get home and hanging them to dry/ drain is what I think I will plan on doing. It shouldn't be too much of a pain in that arse that way. If I get serious I would like to install a built in system that I can control from the helm, but not sure it would be worth it on a 192. I would probably be smart to upgrade at that point.

Back