• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How-To Video: Swap your SHO intercooler to SVHO

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's the video I made during my swap. It's pretty straight forward as you will see. Hopefully this helps others as they upgrade to intercooler to SVHO or aftermarket IC (same process applies more or less). I will be going with a Y fitting until eventually running a second dedicated outlet hose and additional pisser.

Two 14mm bolts and one 14mm nut hold the intercooler on the engine.

I'm also adding this image so you can understand how to visually identify the SHO intercooler compared to the SVHO in case you're shopping for one. Both are made by T.RAD Company.

SHO intercooler part number 6S5-13670-10
SVHO interrcooler part number 6ET-13670-00 (2015 and earlier) or 6ET-13670-01 (2016+). Either will work fine.

**Updated with videos

Here are bone stock top speed runs suffering from heat soak...

And here are some top speed runs after the SVHO intercooler upgrade. After multiple top speed runs and long periods of WOT driving the heat soak is gone....

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for posting!

What was the approximate cost?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for posting!

What was the approximate cost?
Thanks Bruce. Hopefully it helps put some people at ease doing this mod themselves. It's not hard at all as you can see. Maybe add this link to the FAQ?

I paid $150 for the intercooler + $50 for shipping from Canada to Alabama. Cost of the fitting and 1' of 1/2" inside diameter automotive heater/water hose was around $5. I plan on buying an additional pisser and extra hose to run a second water outlet line so that will add to the cost slightly but they are cheap. I'll do it in the winter.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks! Where did you find the SVHO intercooler? Just keep checking ebay? Or any other places online I should keep an eye out for one?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks! Where did you find the SVHO intercooler? Just keep checking ebay? Or any other places online I should keep an eye out for one?
Greenhulk forums is where I found mine. I posted a thread in their 4-stroke performance section where the Yamaha PWC guys hang out asking if anyone had a SVHO intercooler laying around they wanted to sell http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252981. Then people would PM with their offers. Be careful on there because I had some people try to rip me off. General ball park I've seen these go for is $125-250. Brand new they are nearly $1,900 LOL!!!! So some people try and get big money for them but just turn those people down or explain that if you wanted to pay big money you would just buy a Fizzle which would be a better performing IC anyways :D.

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hope you don't mind that I piggybacked on your thread over there...been looking myself for a few weeks. Really appreciate the video and info.

sx998

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good video. To get the little kink out, I used the end of the stock exhaust line. It is formed with a curve.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hope you don't mind that I piggybacked on your thread over there...been looking myself for a few weeks. Really appreciate the video and info.
I don't mind at all. Another jb.net member wildbill is also in that thread looking for one.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good video. To get the little kink out, I used the end of the stock exhaust line. It is formed with a curve.
Yea I saw the formed curve and thought about cutting a small length off it so I can have the same shape. I'd really prefer two 90° elbow fittings for best possible flow since it's kind of tight in there against the wall.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
BTW after doing this mod it has solidified my goal of lining every unfinished edge in the storage and engine bay areas with vinyl or rubber channel trim. My arms got ate up from the edges of the engine bay yesterday and exposed sharp edges.

Attachments

SAGERFLY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great video....and nice socks lol.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great video....and nice socks lol.
:D I don't like wearing shoes or flip flops in my boat as they mark the floors very easily.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@haknslash hooked me up with a seller on GreenHulk and my cost for the I?C delivered was $216. I'm pretty sure mine came from a dealer given the address. I've had two other responses from sellers, but one was $350 delivered and the other was off-continent. They are out there...just keep looking. Of take @haknslash 's cast-offs... :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interested to hear how the performance is after the install!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
More than likely I'll be hitting the lake on Sunday and I'll take my GoPro with me for speed tests.

texmo02

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Wish I had this video a few weeks ago, and really wish I had the swivel. That 3rd nut down there sucks. The larger intercooler is also tough to maneuver into position through the various fuel lines/wires/whatever. Just be patient and don't cause more harm than good.

As for performance, I have gained 5-8 mph in hot conditions (Houston)

I used a y fitting to the existing single pisser. Another pisser is not going to make much difference, and any extra flow may be robbed from the engine. I would say Yamaha used two intercooler outlets for a good reason, but they also screwed up with the SHO intercooler. How did they not catch that in testing or fix it years later. I worry the 195 will have a similar fate. Perhaps the larger pump diameter from the SVHO actually produces less water pressure (though more thrust overall of course). In order to get enough flow through the SVHO intercooler they had to reduce the restrictions some. Just guessing.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:winkingthumbsup"Got the Y fittings en route so all will be sorted before the weekend.

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a line on a IC off a new ski... I think I am going to go for it!!!

Last edited:

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
More than likely I'll be hitting the lake on Sunday and I'll take my GoPro with me for speed tests.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing your test results. Just out of curiosity...did you do the ribbon delete? Great job on the video.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome, looking forward to seeing your test results. Just out of curiosity...did you do the ribbon delete? Great job on the video.
Nah I didn't do the ribbon delete. I'd rather do one mod at a time to see what each gain (if any) does with the boat. Thanks and glad you like the video. Hope you find your IC soon.