• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How-To Video: Swap your SHO intercooler to SVHO

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
5/8" is about what the barb size would need to be to make the stock hose snug and tight on the barb. A 1/2" automotive/heater hose fits tight against the intercooler outlets but the stock hose is a slightly larger and more flimsy size due to thinner wall. so it's a toss between the two unless you really wanted to run all need hose of the same material to the pissers. The stock hose will fit a little loose on the 1/2" barb but if you use the stock clamp it holds just fine, no leaks on mine. I was more surprised by how thin walled and flimsy the stock hose was compared to the 1/2" automotive heater hose I used.

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
5/8" is about what the barb size would need to be to make the stock hose snug and tight on the barb. A 1/2" automotive/heater hose fits tight against the intercooler outlets but the stock hose is a slightly larger and more flimsy size due to thinner wall. so it's a toss between the two unless you really wanted to run all need hose of the same material to the pissers. The stock hose will fit a little loose on the 1/2" barb but if you use the stock clamp it holds just fine, no leaks on mine. I was more surprised by how thin walled and flimsy the stock hose was compared to the 1/2" automotive heater hose I used.
Ya it freaked me out at first, she's all installed after 20 mins on the water I opened up hatch to find a very slight drip from the wye fittings, I've snagged them down a little more and we shall see how it goes.

Performance wise it's great I'm hitting and holding 7600rpm in windy conditions, definitely snappier out of the hole

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I reused the stock clamp where the stock hose connects to the wye fitting but as long as you tightened it down good should be fine. I used band clamps in between the intercooler and wye fitting. I check mine at least once every time I'm out and it's been dry. Glad to hear performance is good! Boat should've come this way.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Finally got my new svho intercooler put on this past weekend. Also was able to get it on the water. Thanks again @haknslash for the video and all the info provided as it was a big help! We went out with 4 adults on the boat and I was able to maintain 46 to 47 all day long (GPS). I also saw 7700 rpms and could maintain that (crazy). I have never seen above 7200.. The boat feels like another boat (awesome)! Can't wait to see 90 degree days to put it to the test.. Could not be happier with a $ 135.oo mod..

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally got my new svho intercooler put on this past weekend. Also was able to get it on the water. Thanks again @haknslash for the video and all the info provided as it was a big help! We went out with 4 adults on the boat and I was able to maintain 46 to 47 all day long (GPS). I also saw 7700 rpms and could maintain that (crazy). I have never seen above 7200.. The boat feels like another boat (awesome)! Can't wait to see 90 degree days to put it to the test.. Could not be happier with a $ 135.oo mod..
Where did you pick up your intercooler from?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
added to the FAQ under mods/intercooler upgrade

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Where did you pick up your intercooler from?
Picked it up on ebay from http://rivaracing.com/.. I would contact them directly. They are always upgrading Yamaha PWC to there intercooler (Riva). Ask to talk to the guy that posts up stuff on ebay. His name is AndrewDoherty. Very good company to work with. Hope that helps.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Picked it up on ebay from http://rivaracing.com/.. I would contact them directly. They are always upgrading Yamaha PWC to there intercooler (Riva). Ask to talk to the guy that posts up stuff on ebay. His name is AndrewDoherty. Very good company to work with. Hope that helps.

I've actually been watching for their posts. They have two on their ebay site but says they don't have end caps. did yours come with endcaps or were you able to use the stock SHO end caps on the SVHO?

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've actually been watching for their posts. They have two on their ebay site but says they don't have end caps. did yours come with endcaps or were you able to use the stock SHO end caps on the SVHO?
Mine came with both caps. That is a bummer! There must be quite a few peeps wanting to do this. Trust me it is worth the effort of finding you one..I could tell the difference immediately with the high RPM's. I would keep calling Riva and checking in with them.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All started with @360dart, very very clever mod.

--

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anybody know if the SVHO boats/skis have the additional waterline from the strainer stock from the factory? I am wondering if the additional water outlet from the SVHO IC's is because of added water pressure in the system?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anybody know if the SVHO boats/skis have the additional waterline from the strainer stock from the factory? I am wondering if the additional water outlet from the SVHO IC's is because of added water pressure in the system?
They don't come stock with additional water. The additional outlet is to increase heat exchange efficiency since the SVHO core is larger and the stock SHO core is woefully inefficient with single pisser and small core. Some larger aftermarket IC's still only use a single outlet pisser.

There are mods and kits (RIVA and others) available to increase and have independent water for IC and other engine areas (see the big mod thread). I considered running a dedicated line but I think it's overkill for me. I've also read on greenhulk that having too much water cooling to the engine and IC can cause gas in oil, so decided it wasn't for me since I'm not looking to push the limits and gets the most power. I just wanted the heat soak gone and for me simply swapping the IC was enough.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Did you get everything installed? if so I hope it went well!

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed mine today, I ran dual pissers, changed the outlet fittings to these http://adaracing.com/jet-ski-bilge-outlet-fittings-45-degree/ . I ran 3/4" hose to the factory connection point at the wall of the engine compartment. Then used a reducing barb fitting to connect to the 1/2" hose. I reused the original gasket for the bilge outlet (may just swap to a black one). I need to change the oil and do a few more seasonal maintenance projects before I can test it out.

Attachments

ISLANDRACING

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dont forget. We have EVERYTHING in stock needed to run a second cooling line to the intercooler. Thru-hull fittings, bypass fittings, marine stainless clamps, custom cooling kits, custom flush kits, custom Y's,,,,, literally EVERYTHING! Here is an example ( on a pwc ) of a quick and simple dual cooling setup with a seprate flush ( HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ) for the intercooler:intercoolerflushing.jpg

Matt J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG Well I finally got around to installing the SVHO IC on my SX192.... It went ok!! I ended up dropping the nut while taking off the stock IC....Luckily I was able to reach it since it fell right under the motor. I think I am going to have to get some other kind of hose to go from the Y fitting to the two fitting from the IC...The current hose is way to tight!! I can only get them on a little ways on the fittings... They are clamped down good, but I am fearful of them leaking.
Edit........Used a little WD to throw some lube on the nipples and pushed the hoses on a little further.

Last edited:

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Matt J You are going to really like the boat now.. Still pisses me off that Yamaha I am sure knew about heat soak on our boats for years. But did not address it until years later with the AR 195 Sx195.. Oh well only $125 to $150 dollars and some time, we fixed the issue. Enjoy!