• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydro locked engine. Getting the run around from the dealer.

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For the record, I asked about the flush procedure and if it was similar to flushing an outboard and was told, “yes, flush it for 10-15 minutes.”

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the record, I asked about the flush procedure and if it was similar to flushing an outboard and was told, “yes, flush it for 10-15 minutes.”
@gmtech16450yz @Maillis - Like you gents appear to be. . . . I'm about as Pro Personal Responsibility as they come. But this felt like dealer negligence from the jump. Wonder how this clarification above changes your perspective (if any). IMHO - If you have a dealer that isn't service oriented they shouldn't be a dealer.

@njmr2fan @haknslash - While I read my manual cover to cover 3 times before I took delivery and looked for every video about my specific model I could find (including the dumb DVD) the dealer definitely owns a bunch of this if what @Jclax indicated above it true.

Additionally, I spoke to a friend of mine who runs a Powersports Dealership that sells Yamaha Waverunners. He said covering the proper flushing (at least for Waverunners, as he does not sell boats) is on the mandatory Yamaha Dealer checklist that has to be filed and kept for 5 years for exactly this reason.

Should he have read the manual, sure. . . . it is easy to Monday morning quarterback this [literally Monday morning right now = ) ] . But if you have a dealer specifically tell you how to do something, it is easy to see how that might be glossed over.

Either way, I hope the OP gets it all worked out.

For whomever else is reading this let this be a free lesson:

1. What to look for (or NOT look for) when searching for a dealership to do business with
2. Self Education and making sure you know all that you can before you operate your boat
3. NEVER allow @gmtech16450yz @Maillis @njmr2fan @haknslash to be seated on a jury where you need sympathy to win ; )

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Eh I'm not trying to Monday morning quarterback him. The damage is done and no going back. Just speaking for myself here but any time that I buy something I'm actually one of those guys that RTFM. Maybe it's my engineering background, or knowing there are people that simply won't tell you things you need to know so research is vital or maybe it's just because I'm a bit of a pessimist towards dealerships since I know how they operate having worked at them as a teenager. It's simply not in my blood to leave it up to someone else to fill me in on every single aspect of ownership or really anything in life. I enjoy learning and any time I spend big money you best believe I'm going to do a ton of research both before and after the sale. Dealerships don't have the time for that for every customer. Sure some dealerships will go above and beyond to make sure their customers know every facet of their purchase (and those dealers are awesome) while other dealers will pretty much shove you out the door once the papers are signed. He already had a bad vibe with what kind of dealer he was working with so should have been a red flag from the get-go but again too late now and can't second guess anyone. Only thing he can do is chalk it up as a learning experience. As for sympathy I do feel for him and it does suck. The fact the dealer is actually willing to spend their money to try and make him feel better is a good show of faith in them trying to build a customer relationship from a rocky start. Now if Yamaha does require every dealer to give them a flushing procedure upon delivery and they failed to do so, then by all means go after them for the full repair costs. I guess you don't get a lot of extra sympathy points for me when trying to place ALL of the blame on the dealer and then trying to posture up by saying you're a big time mover of their product and use it like some sort of strong arm into submission. This situation sucks all around but I think this all could have been easily avoided pre and post sale without any dealer input so why leave it in their hands.

• Know what you're buying before buying.
  • Don't rely on others to tell you everything.
  • As a captain he should be knowing every inch of his craft for his safety and others. If he didn't read about flushing in the manual what other safety precautions hasn't he read too?
  • RTFM

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eh I'm not trying to Monday morning quarterback him.
Maybe that didn't come across right. . . . I meant it is easy for ME to Monday morning quarterback this after his last post.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea it's easy for us to coulda, shoulda, woulda the ordeal after it has happened. This should be looked as a good but hard learning experience for both the dealer and the owner. It sucks no matter how you slice it.

When I bought my boat the salesman were really great about going over the do's and don'ts. Even the mechanic got involved and ironically told me to make sure the tower bolts did not get cross threaded (this was long before the Bimini trip/ swatski tower issue) and to make sure they are nice and tight. I can't recall if the flushing procedure was discussed. I already had experience with flushing from having a few PWC's in the past but even so I made sure to read the manual before my boat got wet not knowing if things had changed over the years. Not even sure if PWC's still have to be righted when flipped in a certain direction these days so that water doesn't go back into the cylinders or get injested in the intake. Of course today's skis are freakin land barges so not even sure if you can flip one over lol.

Last edited:

Richard L Cox

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I think something that might have been missed here is that Yamaha should have not allowed this in their design. On some of their outboards you don't have to start the engine to flush it and that is very logical. I'm sure if they put their mind to it they could do the same with the jet boat. They have a responsibility in my opinion to engineer this so that it's not so delicate or unforgiving.

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree, bad design. Heck if you need a tow, and it's done too fast, you can reportedly hydrolock. I still have to figure out what hose you're supposed to pinch off.

Patae

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Would like to know which hose myself .Didn't see it In the manual.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Would like to know which hose myself .Didn't see it In the manual.
You won't find that in the manual but you will in the FAQ on here.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think something that might have been missed here is that Yamaha should have not allowed this in their design. On some of their outboards you don't have to start the engine to flush it and that is very logical. I'm sure if they put their mind to it they could do the same with the jet boat. They have a responsibility in my opinion to engineer this so that it's not so delicate or unforgiving.
This is not a Yamaha only procedure. SeaDoo, Polaris, Kawasaki etc are all the same way and have been for many years.

Flushing is not super delicate or anything to fear once you do it for the first time its second nature after that IMO. You just have to understand the system before you start the process, just like anything you're going to work on. Engine on then water on to begin flushing. Exact opposite procedure when you're done flushing. Water off then engine off. Use a Salt Away dispenser or similar to help make this process about as simple as it gets. That way you can have the water ready to go but shutoff by the Salt Away dispenser valve or similar type shutoff valve on the end of the fitting. Eazy Peazy.

Even if the engine was filled with water and someone forgot which came first the engine still could have been saved if you remove the spark plugs and then turn over the engine so that all the water on top of the cylinder would blow out. When you don't remove the spark plugs and the cylinder or crankcase can be filled with water. That's when things bend or break if you try to start them. This is also why PWC's have a specific procedure and warming sticker on the back for flipping them back over in the correct direction otherwise you can draw water into the engine.

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great news man, mine was down for 3 moths and finally got Yamaha and my insurance company to flip the bill, she's now as good as new and ready for some water fun.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Some times we get lucky. Nice looking package there. Mine is identical but black F150 and grey 190.

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sweet, hope you have an awesome year on your boat!!!!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Of course today's skis are freakin land barges so not even sure if you can flip one over lol.
You definitely can... on the ICW last summer I saw some idiot on a rental with 2 kids on the ski doing some sort of crazy weaving around type of thing and said to my self "this isn't going to end well". BIG SURPRISE when I got about 20 yards from him, they went in to the drink with the ski sitting upside down. hahahahaha At least the kids were OK. On the same day I also got to see someone playing with one of those ski powered hover board things., that was pretty cool!

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you buy a gun, load it and look down the barrel while pulling the trigger because nobody told you that you shouldn't, do you blame the gun manufacturer or the gun dealer?

Neither. Darwin just took care of the problem.

How about buying a lawn mower and sticking your arm in the chute while it's running because the Home Depot you bought it from didn't tell you that you shouldn't. Should Home Depot, the lawn mower manufacturer or your insurance company pay for your chopped off arm repairs?

What about that blender you bought for making margaritas? You put your hand it in when it was on and pureed your hand. Who do you blame? The blender company? Stop it. Really.

I'm sorry but I agree with Maillis...

Let me get this straight...
1) You bought $40k+ machine
2) You didn’t understand how it worked
3) You broke it
4) It’s the dealer’s fault

The dealership, Yamaha OR your insurance company should NOT have to pay for your mistake. In any of those three situations, all of us boat buyers, Yamaha customers or insurance policy payers end up paying for your mistake. I don't like paying for the mistakes others make.

Buying a boat means taking responsibility for learning how to safely use and operate it. It shouldn't be taken lightly and the responsibility and costs for not learning shouldn't be carried by anyone but the buyer. Sorry. I know that's harsh, but it's how the world "should" work. Unfortunately it doesn't always because too many people like to blame others for their mistakes. You damaged your engine, nobody else did. Period. The End.
If you hydrolock a motor won’t the spark plugs be wet?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Normally 1 cylinder gets a little water in it and a rod bends because water does not compress. If the cylinder is full the engine will not turn over and is locked. The rest of the plugs will be normal.
someone will elaborate some more.