• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydro locked engine. Getting the run around from the dealer.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think yor engine cracked or exhaust water licking problem like other members in this website before Hydrolock engine..... yamaha fault maybe
Why would you suggest that?
According to the OP it's the wrong sequence, unfortunately, where the engine needs to be on before the water starts flowing into the exhaust, basically.

--

Rafe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know its wrong sequence but this is new engine. and its rare waters couse Hydrolock while engine off.... Hydrolock happen on speed

Rafe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Maybe im wrong. im talking about possiblety

Rafe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
And lately yamaha lacks of QC

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My dealer made me sign a paper with the engine flush process and that i understood that damage would be imminent if i didn't follow the steps...Sorry that this is happening to you

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer made me sign a paper with the engine flush process and that i understood that damage would be imminent if i didn't follow the steps...Sorry that this is happening to you
We did not sign anything, but we did get an orientation. This was not our first Yamaha and the dealer/owner knows us (Jerry, of St. Charles Boat and Motor) but I remember him saying that orientation is a requirement. If a new owner orientation is a requirement and it was skipped in the OP case, that might create some opening for further discussion of warranty coverage with Yamaha? IDK.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We even got an orientation on how to run the motors on the hose from the P.O. when we looked at the boat the day we bought her. He was very specific on the process and when I should turn on/off his hose. I had no idea of the required sequence before that. I later learned of the possible consequences from reading threads and the FAQ's on this site.

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We did not sign anything, but we did get an orientation. This was not our first Yamaha and the dealer/owner knows us (Jerry, of St. Charles Boat and Motor) but I remember him saying that orientation is a requirement. If a new owner orientation is a requirement and it was skipped in the OP case, that might create some opening for further discussion of warranty coverage with Yamaha? IDK.

--
Maybe my dealer already went through the same issues with some customers before?...Jet Ski of miami is a high volume seller for yamaha... the guy even asked me if i was sure to understand english perfect.... if not they will get someone in Spanish to explain the process... so yes, they do pay attention to this part of the sale.... after that the sales manager asked me if l understood the steps to flush the engine... l said yes and he said, ok sign here...

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Boat has 10 hours on it go to court. No jury will make you pay they know that. Next year there will have a sign above the hose hook up that says.
Start motor before turning on water.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer didn’t go over anything with me when I bought my boat. I already new he didn’t know crap about the boat when I looked at it. I learned more here from reading. The only thing I missed was the California model which of course is what I ended up with. I saw the sticker but thought they were all that way. I had a ten foot funjet 25 years ago I flipped over. I swam it to shore upside down so it wouldn’t sink flipped it over, pulled the plugs and cranked it a while, put the plugs back in and kept using it. The name fit it was a fun boat.

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought my boat in the same dealer and had to sign the same form, both for my boat and my jetski.

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought my boat in the same dealer and had to sign the same form, both for my boat and my jetski.
You signed a paper saying they explained you the boat and how it works... l will get a copy of mine and post it here..

Jclax

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Still no boat, been at the dealer since July 31st. They told me to claim it on my insurance, I’m sure so they wouldn’t have to pay, to “save me money.” Told them that’s a great idea, I’b Be happy commit insurance fraud to save them money, felonies on your record aren’t that bad right? Told them to order an engine on August 6th and the service manager, what an oxymoron, said he would. 10 days later he finally ordered it and said I would have it by the end of the month. I know you will all be surprised to hear that he didn’t order all the parts, because he didn’t know that the head bolts didn’t come with the kit. It’s his job to know, either he is incompetent or is willfully screwing me over, not sure which is worse. Guess. I have to. Call the GM tomorrow again to get a fire lit under his ass. If it doesn’t go well with him im getting an attorney involved. I’ve been way too nice, haven’t left a review, filled out the survey, listed the name of the dealer, or called Yamaha, that changes tomorrow...Implementing scorched earth policy tomorrow.

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Let me get this straight...

1) You bought $40k+ machine
2) You didn’t understand how it worked
3) You broke it
4) It’s the dealer’s fault

Just admit you messed up and check with your insurance to see if they will cover your mistake or try another dealer. If you don’t want to do either, take the 50/50 and consider it a lesson learned.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

3) You broke it

Just admit you messed up and check with your insurance to see if they will cover your mistake or try another dealer. If you don’t want to do either, take the 50/50 and consider it a lesson learned.
There is a reason others have mentioned the paperwork they have signed and or orientations received for flushing. It is NOT at all an intuitive process. If the dealer didn't cover it they should be shouldering more than the (likely inflated) 50% they offered.

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yes it’s not intuitive and If they had specifically given him the wrong instructions then I’d agree they share more of the blame. This is just the case of a dealer that wasn’t very service oriented - which he experienced from the very beginning. I probably would have taken my business elsewhere and I definitely would have done my homework before spending my money. Take responsibility for your decisions people.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you buy a gun, load it and look down the barrel while pulling the trigger because nobody told you that you shouldn't, do you blame the gun manufacturer or the gun dealer?

Neither. Darwin just took care of the problem.

How about buying a lawn mower and sticking your arm in the chute while it's running because the Home Depot you bought it from didn't tell you that you shouldn't. Should Home Depot, the lawn mower manufacturer or your insurance company pay for your chopped off arm repairs?

What about that blender you bought for making margaritas? You put your hand it in when it was on and pureed your hand. Who do you blame? The blender company? Stop it. Really.

I'm sorry but I agree with Maillis...

3) You broke it

The dealership, Yamaha OR your insurance company should NOT have to pay for your mistake. In any of those three situations, all of us boat buyers, Yamaha customers or insurance policy payers end up paying for your mistake. I don't like paying for the mistakes others make.

Buying a boat means taking responsibility for learning how to safely use and operate it. It shouldn't be taken lightly and the responsibility and costs for not learning shouldn't be carried by anyone but the buyer. Sorry. I know that's harsh, but it's how the world "should" work. Unfortunately it doesn't always because too many people like to blame others for their mistakes. You damaged your engine, nobody else did. Period. The End.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Am I the only person who reads a manual when I've never done something before? Even searching YouTube for "flushing Yamaha jet boat" gets you loads of videos. I just bought a Mavic drone, before I was tempted to stick a battery on it and fly, I downloaded and read that whole stupid manual because I didn't want to ruin a toy that cost a few hundred buck$. Whether the dealer gave you a shitty lesson or no lesson, I'm sure your boat came with an owners manual...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Am I the only person who reads a manual when I've never done something before? Even searching YouTube for "flushing Yamaha jet boat" gets you loads of videos. I just bought a Mavic drone, before I was tempted to stick a battery on it and fly, I downloaded and read that whole stupid manual because I didn't want to ruin a toy that cost a few hundred buck$. Whether the dealer gave you a shitty lesson or no lesson, I'm sure your boat came with an owners manual...
You're not alone (raises hand). First thing I did was geek out on the manual and silly, corny DVD before the boat ever got wet. I think there's even some warning stickers sprinkled on the boat somewhere about flushing but mine has been de-lawyered for a long time now.

These boats come with an owner's manual and DVD (for those who don't like to read). It's up to the owner to know how to operate the boat including the flush procedure. I hate dealers as much as anyone else but I wouldn't try to put this on them. The fact they would even offer 50/50 is kind of crazy so I'd take it and chalk this up as a lesson learned the hard way.

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If you buy a gun, load it and look down the barrel while pulling the trigger because nobody told you that you shouldn't, do you blame the gun manufacturer or the gun dealer?

Neither. Darwin just took care of the problem.

How about buying a lawn mower and sticking your arm in the chute while it's running because the Home Depot you bought it from didn't tell you that you shouldn't. Should Home Depot, the lawn mower manufacturer or your insurance company pay for your chopped off arm repairs?

What about that blender you bought for making margaritas? You put your hand it in when it was on and pureed your hand. Who do you blame? The blender company? Stop it. Really.

I'm sorry but I agree with Maillis...

3) You broke it

The dealership, Yamaha OR your insurance company should NOT have to pay for your mistake. In any of those three situations, all of us boat buyers, Yamaha customers or insurance policy payers end up paying for your mistake. I don't like paying for the mistakes others make.

Buying a boat means taking responsibility for learning how to safely use and operate it. It shouldn't be taken lightly and the responsibility and costs for not learning shouldn't be carried by anyone but the buyer. Sorry. I know that's harsh, but it's how the world "should" work. Unfortunately it doesn't always because too many people like to blame others for their mistakes. You damaged your engine, nobody else did. Period. The End.
Although I agree with your line of thinking your comparisons are a little overboard talking about common sense stuff that can be chalked up to stupidity (gun, blender, mower). This wasn’t an act off stupidity, he did actually attempt to flush the way you would flush a I/O or O/B. He didn’t read the manual and in turn made a mistake. Should the dealer have informed him, yea that would have been nice - should Yamaha have a tear away tag on the flush ports with instructions/warning that the user needs to rip off before they can flush, that would also be helpful. BUT there isn’t any blame to share here. You can argue all day long that the dealer should have personally walked through the flushing process with you and maybe you’d be right - that “they should have”. But this doesn’t absolve the buyer from the fact that the manual clearly outlines the procedure and the risks of not following it and nobody is responsible for the fact that the buyer didn’t read the information given. Be the same as if the dealer told you in person but you weren’t listening. Yeah maybe nobody reads the manual ( excepts those of us geeks who read the online Owners Manual three times before we even buy the boat and then buy and also read the Service Manual when we actually buy the boat). But the point is the information was is given to the buyer at purchase time and it’s nobody else’s fault if the buyer decides to not read it. I’m also one that is surprised at the 50/50 deal and would take that and count my lucky stars - before they change their mind. Doesn’t change the fact though that this sucks to have happened and hope it all works out and the OP gets back out on the water soon.