• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I’m guessing the dealers will sell at MSRP. What can I ask for to sweeten the deal?

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Hello,

So after the reveal tomorrow, I’m going to put a deposit down on an AR250 if it’s mid $60s. Since this is my first Yamaha boat, Im unsure what‘s included and what’s a reasonable item to have thrown in? What freebie would you be hoping for?
Specifically, what cover comes with the boat? Is it awful? If so should I ask for an upgrade?
Whats the standard warranty? I’ve seen added warranty freebies on ads but have you benefitted from the extra years?
Is negotiating no freight or prep possible in this seller’s market? If I have to pay, what’s your ceiling on this fee?
I’d also like your opinion on how much time I have before supply runs out. I don’t want to miss getting on the lake next spring.

Thanks so much.
Cheers, Rick

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought recently and took it square in the jaw. And yes, I did ask. But both they and I knew I had 5 deposits in line behind me.

Yamaha is/was? offering really attractive financing (1.99%). Look up laws in your state regarding prep/doc fees. Some states put a cap on them so you can know how to haggle.
I purchased extended engine warranty (transferable, 5 years) and paid MSRP for that too.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Brian, if you don’t have anything nice to say......... :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the 25' footers are hot, you may be able to get MSRP and possibly a hug........ :) Depending on initial demand, which word on the street is high, I am not sure if you can negotiate covers or really anything. No way to tell production numbers either, you may be fortunate to get one of them. It is all up in the air. Also they look like they will be being shipped in November or December, so I doubt demand will subside any time soon.

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Lol, expected but still a bummer. If 250 supply stays strong thru late winter I may search for a sub $70k Mastercraft x55 or sub $50k x80. If I can’t find one, I can just bite the MSRP bullet.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Generically speaking these boats must have a pretty small profit margin. Reason I say that is the general consensus is most pay pretty close to MSRP. Every now and again you hear of someone getting 5-7k off. From being around the forums and FB groups I'd say that's not the norm. It isn't like wake boats where getting 15-20% off is the standard without even really haggling. I bought my 2020 in the midst of covid, but RIGHT before the season went nutso. I managed to get some off, and they cut me a slight deal on accessories I bought. I'd consider that a "good" deal. Now there are dealers that have been known to cut the best deals. Winnebagoland ( I believe that's the one in WI), and Cyclesprings in FL. The one in WI won't sell to anyone not in an adjoining state, and last I checked they listed that on their site. Cyclesprings from my research will sell to anyone.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now there are dealers that have been known to cut the best deals. Winnebagoland ( I believe that's the one in WI). The one in WI won't sell to anyone not in an adjoining state, and last I checked they listed that on their site.
I got a chance to talk with someone from Winnebagoland, my neighbor knows them, and we met up over the 4th. The neighbor couldn't even get a boat from them (not a Yamaha, different boat), as they were sold out of inventory, and they already had folks lining up hoping to get anything they could lay their hands on.

I don’t want to miss getting on the lake next spring.
This will be your downfall.

I'm wondering if there will be enough people who had that same mindset for this year, that realize they can't afford their boat next year, or just don't want it after they can move freely around the country next summer. I might be interested in moving up to a 24' if the price is right, and it looks like it's shaping up to be a buyer's market next year.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Unless PRODUCTION gets sold out or limited if you are ordering a boat you MAY find a dealer to willing to deal somewhat.....(they project to Yamaha “x” number of boats, so tell them now with YOUR order its “X+1”). There is usually hold back money involved too so higher volumes they might get a later kickback from Yamaha..... If you have 2-3 dealers in your area I’d have this conversation (politely of course). “A bird in the hand beats two in the bush”.......If you only have 1 dealer near you well then they have you by the b—————.

Now with all the covid stuff production might be limited....and also the economy COULD be much different next spring too (people backing out of orders from this fall, economic hits from covid that were propped up this year from government dollars that might not exist next year, and of course who knows what the aftershocks of the November election that could impact the economy in the spring.....

I do not believe boats are low margin....BUT the dealers have high overhead (especially in the north as they have a short selling season but need to stretch that out all year).

What I want to pay is a FAIR price.....not cut the dealers throat but MSRP (which was an imaginary sales price until the last year or so) plus X, X and Y is not fair either (the only cost in addition to the boat should be freight and taxes. Prep is something they are required to do and should come out of their profit/otherwise Yamaha could just ship us the boats directly and cut out the middle).

So I’m waiting until the spring boat show myself.......I think the boat market will stabilize by then, along with more clarity on the economy. There was such a buying frenzy this season boat sales should be much slower next season/at least dropping back to normal levels.....and normal levels shouldn’t be MSRP +++.....

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I bought recently and took it square in the jaw. And yes, I did ask. But both they and I knew I had 5 deposits in line behind me.

Yamaha is/was? offering really attractive financing (1.99%). Look up laws in your state regarding prep/doc fees. Some states put a cap on them so you can know how to haggle.
I purchased extended engine warranty (transferable, 5 years) and paid MSRP for that too.
@brian86992 ...,.that is what is happening where I live too. There were maybe three yamaha boats sold in the area I live in May that there was some bargaining room. After that if you wavered it was here's your deposit back ..... "next". IMO purchasing the 5 year Yamaha OEM Warranty is a great idea as the electronics on these boats alone would likely exceed the total cost of the warranty in one go - yes, that has happened to me with a 5 year Mercruiser warranty and with friends too. @ourlee if you run into a dealer (quite possible) who will not move on the basic prices here's what you can do.... get it written into your contract that ANYTHING you want to purchase through the dealer will be at HIS cost for "X" length of time (in the past I have said 3 or 4 months to give me time to decide what extras I might need - friends have gotten that for the first season) as this is a no lose for the dealer and a win for you. :cool:

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Unless PRODUCTION gets sold out or limited if you are ordering a boat you MAY find a dealer to willing to deal somewhat.....(they project to Yamaha “x” number of boats, so tell them now with YOUR order its “X+1”). There is usually hold back money involved too so higher volumes they might get a later kickback from Yamaha..... If you have 2-3 dealers in your area I’d have this conversation (politely of course). “A bird in the hand beats two in the bush”.......If you only have 1 dealer near you well then they have you by the b—————.

Now with all the covid stuff production might be limited....and also the economy COULD be much different next spring too (people backing out of orders from this fall, economic hits from covid that were propped up this year from government dollars that might not exist next year, and of course who knows what the aftershocks of the November election that could impact the economy in the spring.....

I do not believe boats are low margin....BUT the dealers have high overhead (especially in the north as they have a short selling season but need to stretch that out all year).

What I want to pay is a FAIR price.....not cut the dealers throat but MSRP (which was an imaginary sales price until the last year or so) plus X, X and Y is not fair either (the only cost in addition to the boat should be freight and taxes. Prep is something they are required to do and should come out of their profit/otherwise Yamaha could just ship us the boats directly and cut out the middle).

So I’m waiting until the spring boat show myself.......I think the boat market will stabilize by then, along with more clarity on the economy. There was such a buying frenzy this season boat sales should be much slower next season/at least dropping back to normal levels.....and normal levels shouldn’t be MSRP +++.....
That'll take balls. If I miss out from waiting, you have to give me your slot.😀

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
@brian86992 ...,.that is what is happening where I live too. There were maybe three yamaha boats sold in the area I live in May that there was some bargaining room. After that if you wavered it was here's your deposit back ..... "next". IMO purchasing the 5 year Yamaha OEM Warranty is a great idea as the electronics on these boats alone would likely exceed the total cost of the warranty in one go - yes, that has happened to me with a 5 year Mercruiser warranty and with friends too. @ourlee if you run into a dealer (quite possible) who will not move on the basic prices here's what you can do.... get it written into your contract that ANYTHING you want to purchase through the dealer will be at HIS cost for "X" length of time (in the past I have said 3 or 4 months to give me time to decide what extras I might need - friends have gotten that for the first season) as this is a no lose for the dealer and a win for you. :cool:
Fantastic idea. Win Win

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Fantastic idea. Win Win
@ourlee, BTW: my wife just reminded me - didn't we get our first oil and filter change and a winterization done once "at dealer cost"? She has a good memory - yes, we did. Once I bought an SS propeller that was listed at $700.00 for about $400.00 using the "at your cost" scenario. There are a number of creative ways to save quite a bit of money as a buyer that don't cost the dealer directly.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Listen, in this market we are all the on the wrong side of the table. The leverage we once had has dried up. If you want to buy now, by all means go ahead, but you have very little if any leverage on a new boat. And even used boats are commanding good money. And sure as hell not as much as in a slow selling time. Otherwise wait it out a bit, if you can. Take a breath, and see how things shake out. Time is your enemy or your friend. No way to tell up front, it is just a guess.

There are a lot of great ideas here, several I am putting in my back pocket for future use, but little if any are panning out for anyone. It is hit or miss. One dealer may give something and another dealer may tell you to pound dirt. Go in with whatever you want to ask for but be prepared to get nothing and determine if you are ready to purchase under that scenario.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That'll take balls. If I miss out from waiting, you have to give me your slot.😀
Well all depends on how many dealers you have within a reasonable drive time.... I have (4).

If say you have (3), try a reasonable offer and then if none budge choose the one you felt most comfortable with.....

I can tell you I’ll pay MSRP + tax only, or I’ll wait a while as this sellers market will not last much longer (maybe until next summer but there will be a correction sometime as a bunch of first time boat owners bought this year and some will be unloading once they figure out the lifestyle and financial commitment is not for them).....

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly
this sellers market will not last much longer (maybe until next summer but there will be a correction sometime as a bunch of first time boat owners bought this year and some will be unloading once they figure out the lifestyle and financial commitment is not for them).

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
@ourlee, BTW: my wife just reminded me - didn't we get our first oil and filter change and a winterization done once "at dealer cost"? She has a good memory - yes, we did. Once I bought an SS propeller that was listed at $700.00 for about $400.00 using the "at your cost" scenario. There are a number of creative ways to save quite a bit of money as a buyer that don't cost the dealer directly.
I bet I can come up with some cool stuff for my FZS :) :cool: