• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I absolutely LOVE my Tundra, but...

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot take a look at the 1500 diesel also...

I love the mileage when its unloaded (30mpg of course right condition) and I get 18~20mpg when towing my SX240. Since the boat is the only thing I tow, i want to be able to drive without really sacrificing on the mileage, thats why I went with the ecodiesel. Smooth ride, Quiet cabin, always in the powerband(8spd tranny)

only couple of things...need the airbag in the rear for any kind of payload due to the coil springs and GDE Tune to get rid of the EGR(soot in intake...ew) other than that I love it.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Wow, I've followed the Ecodiesel and haven't been able to make the leap yet, they of course really poo-pooed the canyon's mileage but I think that's very acceptable,
I even checked it at fuelly http://www.fuelly.com/car/gmc/canyon?engineconfig_id=229&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Have you had any mechanical or other issues with it? Do you have a forum/support page that you belong to?
Hey man, I've had it for 6mo, haven't had any issues at all. My MPG is never been as low as the average on that fuelly page, some of those strike me as near 100% city MPG, I don't think I could hot-rod the thing enough to get low 20's, lol. The MPG does drop temporarily during DPF regeneration, dropping into the low 20's for like 30 minutes while it's running super-rich to clear the DPF.

So far I love it, as does my wife as she can drive it and be much less intimidated in town as compared to driving a full-sized. I guess it all depends on expectations. I've had just about every kind of truck under the sun, up to a Dodge 3500 Dually 4x4 with Cummins, but right now I don't NEED to tow anything that big, nor need the space since we're empty-nesters at this point. Like I said, given the lack of discounting I could have gotten a pretty loaded Sierra for the same price, but we drove both at same time, went and had lunch, and decided which did we LIKE the best, price be damned, and we both liked the Canyon.

It's somewhat interesting to drive thing thing. In normal mode, it drives pretty much like a normal truck, but sounds more truck-ish than the gasser. Put it into tow/haul mode, hook the boat up, and it's personality totally changes. It then takes on the personal of a mini-HD diesel pickup, it's almost funny the way it does it. Diesel exhaust brake is active, so when you slow down it gears down big time. It does NOT tow like my Cummins or big Duramax trucks did, but honestly tows at least as good as the Tundra 5.7 did, which honestly is pretty damn amazing given its size, and it's tow rating.

Anyway, like I said, it's about expectations and needs. I want to put a lift and bigger wheels on it, and it will still fit in the garage, lol. I'm past the point in life I have to have the biggest truck to impress others. I'm on the coloradofans.com site to research a bit, but not sure I've even posted. I don't get near as active in the forums as I used to be.

Here's a pic of the 25-mile average MPG during a recent trip through the hill-country, my day to day drops to around 30. Also a pic of the truck and the Sea-Ray I traded.

14572550_10208976063153280_1597690381_o (Small).jpg
20160602_165840 (Medium).jpg

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot take a look at the 1500 diesel also...

I love the mileage when its unloaded (30mpg of course right condition) and I get 18~20mpg when towing my SX240. Since the boat is the only thing I tow, i want to be able to drive without really sacrificing on the mileage, thats why I went with the ecodiesel. Smooth ride, Quiet cabin, always in the powerband(8spd tranny)

only couple of things...need the airbag in the rear for any kind of payload due to the coil springs and GDE Tune to get rid of the EGR(soot in intake...ew) other than that I love it.
You convinced me. Did a little research on the Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel. I guess I really don't need anything that tows more that that. I'm just desperate for the better mileage. Went and looked at one this morning on the way to work. It's a new 2016 with 44 miles on it. 4x4 with navigation, back-up camera, spray-in bedliner (Big Horn Edition). They have it listed at $43,880. They said they would let me test drive it tomorrow and hook it up to the boat and tow it around for a few miles.

I do like the Canyon/Colorado trucks, but I still have 2 teenagers at home and I think it's too small for them.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
canyon/colorado is AS LONG as the full size but narrow. I really like the elbow room that the full size truck provides.

I have the almost exact specification as what you are looking at and I think you can do slightly better. Shoot for 40 and settle for 41~42k

if you want the diesel, get it soon. I heard the 2017's are delayed(due to emissions) and some dealers are sold out of the 2016 ecodiesels.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think when you drive the RAM you will love it.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Ram is great the only thing I want to look into is the GDE computer for the EGR shut off.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Look at Rams on eBay. Enter my zip code (27107). There's a dealer 4 miles from me that is one of the top volume dealers in the country. All prices are invoice minus hold back minus incentives etc... Through all my Ram hunting, I've never seen cheaper prices advertised. If nothing else, use their price as a bargaining chip. They've got 800 trucks in Stock I believe, so I'm sure you can find one comparable.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot when I was stationed at Rucker I stored the boat at Eglin in the dry storage. It was very reasonable and made life super easy. This is there brochure: http://www.eglinforcesupport.com/_downloads/ODR_MarinaBrochure.pdf . Let me know if you have any questions, maybe this will prevent buying a new truck.
I did consider Eglin and also Tyndall. Although Destin is our favorite, I wanted to expand my water options to Eufala and Lake Martin. I found ensclosed storage here in Enterprise for $95 a month which is very reasonable.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
15123010_10155476767394202_8920815322061439006_o.jpg I absolutely LOVE my 2017 Platinum. I didn't buy this truck for its milage, but the reliability, comfort, and value is second to none.

15123212_10155471211614202_5887119488366505793_o.jpg

Attachments

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
13 city 17 hwy is just ridiculous... I get 19~20 TOWING !

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an 07 tundra. Tires can make a big difference to MPG. My cooper AT/2 tires took 2MPG off the top over the BFG AT KO I had on before. Also keep in mind the $10K (at least in Canada) premium to get a diesel. That is a lot of gas. Cam.

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My Tundra is poor on efficiency. Even with a 38 gallon tank I can get round trip on one tank to our main water hole in KY from Cincinnati. I was frustrated this past summer when we went to Canada. But I tell myself I could tow the space shuttle. LOL.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My Tundra is poor on efficiency. Even with a 38 gallon tank I can get round trip on one tank to our main water hole in KY from Cincinnati. I was frustrated this past summer when we went to Canada. But I tell myself I could tow the space shuttle. LOL.
Sure, they drink fuel but what you spend in fuel, you'll make back in resale value. The big 3 drop like rocks when used. I bought my 2012 SR5 2wd DC Tundra for 28.5K (sticker was 33) and sold it 3 years later for 25K.

On a big 3 truck, you can get 8K off sticker at the dealer and still lose 10K in 3 years....and you'll likely know the service manager by name.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think you have too much boat for a Tacoma to tow. I would not be concerned about the fuel mileage but if you are damaging the Tacoma.

If you step up into a V8 powered 1500 you can expect 10 to 12 mpg when towing.

With a European 3L V6 diesel Ram 1500, VW Tuareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, etc you could expect 14 to 15 mpg.

I doubt a recent year model 2500 is going to beat the European diesels on towing fuel economy and certainly not on normal driving.

With current fuel prices there is minimal fuel cost differences between these options. The current national average is $2.15 for gas and $2.385 for diesel. For my 2,500 Bimini tow at current prices and 10 MPG I would burn $537.50 of gas in my 6.2L AWD truck or $397.50 at 15 MPG in one of the European diesels. Most owners are unlikely to tow that far all summer.
Bruce.....You should be telling him to buy American. Even if it's a Dodge! LOL

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The domestic parts content among some models can shift wildly year to year, that said by many accounts Toyota Camry is more American that F-150s. Back to Dodge and V8s though, hmm... VM Motori Eco Diesel or Canadian Hemi..?

Just messing with you, @Zarrella, and I know I shouldn't! After all, my life has been so much better ever since I started using "Zarella" trick on my trailer brakes' lanyard! :D

--

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buying an American vehicle is quite the challenge. I was surprised to learn that my GMC Sierra was built in Canada while my brothers Toyota Tacoma was built in the USA:banghead:. On the same basis my Kubota tractors were built in the USA while Caterpillar is importing some from India. I like driving a truck with an American brand attached to it but often times there is more American parts and labor in foreign branded trucks.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Buying an American vehicle is quite the challenge. I was surprised to learn that my GMC Sierra was built in Canada while my brothers Toyota Tacoma was built in the USA:banghead:. On the same basis my Kubota tractors were built in the USA while Caterpillar is importing some from India. I like driving a truck with an American brand attached to it but often times there is more American parts and labor in foreign branded trucks.
Tundra tied for number one in 2015.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-american-trucks-for-2015.html

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My Ford Superduty......Proudly built in Kentucky!