• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I absolutely LOVE my Tundra, but...

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
...I HATE the gas mileage when towing. I'm getting around 8 MPG when I tow and I need something with some better gas (diesel) mileage. I frequently tow about an hour and a half one way and have to fill up again on the way back home.

Looking at the Ram 2500 diesel and Chevy/GMC 2500 diesel. I've about narrowed it down to the Ram as I've owned 2 Ram 1500's in the past and really like the style. This will be my first diesel and I have a lot to learn. I've found a used 2016 with 8,000 miles for $44,xxx (120 miles away) and another used 2016 with 26,000 miles for $43,xxx (5 miles away). The latter one has a ding on the CarFax with "minor damage reported". They've had the truck since July and I'm guessing that they would come down off that price significantly since they've had it so long. So...I'm looking for someone to talk me out of the one that is close by and to go look at the one that is 2 hours away.

SeanPC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I feel the pain while towing. Have a 2014 F150 EcoBoost which I love. Forgot who said on this forum but with EcoBoost seems you get Eco or Boost...not both at the same time. ;)

Realize I'm not helping... but several years ago found a 2006 used Ford truck with "minor damage" (was looking for a friend who was 'TEX-patriated'). Found out it was minor door damage that was professionally repaired. Otherwise, it was in really good condition. Buddy ended up buying it and still has it to this day.

IMO, for the same price, it's worth the 4 hour round trip to look at the truck with 8K miles and a clean sheet.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you have too much boat for a Tacoma to tow. I would not be concerned about the fuel mileage but if you are damaging the Tacoma.

If you step up into a V8 powered 1500 you can expect 10 to 12 mpg when towing.

With a European 3L V6 diesel Ram 1500, VW Tuareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, etc you could expect 14 to 15 mpg.

I doubt a recent year model 2500 is going to beat the European diesels on towing fuel economy and certainly not on normal driving.

With current fuel prices there is minimal fuel cost differences between these options. The current national average is $2.15 for gas and $2.385 for diesel. For my 2,500 Bimini tow at current prices and 10 MPG I would burn $537.50 of gas in my 6.2L AWD truck or $397.50 at 15 MPG in one of the European diesels. Most owners are unlikely to tow that far all summer.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Oops...edited it to read "Tundra". I have NO CLUE why I put "Tacoma" on it initially.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oops...edited it to read "Tundra". I have NO CLUE why I put "Tacoma" on it initially.
8 MPG from a Tundra is surprising. Are you towing on very hilly terrain?

I am towing with a Sierra Denali which has a 6.2 with no fuel saving features and the all wheel drive helps eat up more fuel. Towing at 55 I see as much as 12 MPG and at 85 I still get 10 MPG.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not hilly...flat country roads in S. Alabama/Florida panhandle. I towed in from my town to the Chaparral dealer (160 miles) and as I pulled into the parking lot, my low fuel light came on (26 gallon tank).

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Tundra mileage is just that bad, that's why I got rid of mine.

If you don't need the extra capacity, I'd go for the Ecodiesel. Up to 33mpg unloaded. Regularly got 24/25 mixed driving, and 14-17 hauling the 242LS around. My Cummins gets me around 17 towing, but seems to max out around 23 unloaded. Both of those prices sound awesome, I'm assuming not Laramie's though?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No, not the Laramie. SLT's, though. The Laramie is nice. I had a 2009 Laramie 1500 before I traded it in on the Tundra. I considered the eco-diesel, but the tow capacity is only 7900 lbs.

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Not sure you are dead-set on a full-sized truck, but I traded a 2015 Tundra TRD Pro for a 2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 with the "Baby Duramax", and the MPG is nothing short of astounding for a 4x4 truck.

I average 28-32 mpg day to day average, have exceeded 40 MPG on the highway unloaded. Pulling my previous boat, a 25.5-foot Sea Ray with big-block, I averaged 6.5-mpg with my Tundra. Towing the same boat, I get near 20 MPG in the Canyon. (Estimated weight 6500.) Yes, the Canyon gets considerably better MPG towing a big boat than the Tundra got, on the highway, unloaded, lol. Crazy.

As a daily driver it rocks too, so much easier to park, and drives like a sports car compared to the Tundra.

Negatives are the damn thing was expensive, they discount very little because the are still hard to find, and all-out HP is a bit less, although it's got a ton of torque. I love the damn thing to be honest. Rated at 7700 lbs towing, it could tow any Yamaha or Chaparral jet boat with ease, none weigh near what my Sea Ray did.

Is it a Cummins, or full-sized Duramax? No, and I've owned both, but as a daily and for boat towing, it's awesome. Even has a built-on brake controller, and diesel exhaust brake. Just another datapoint.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got rid of my Tundra for the same reason, absolutely horrendous gas mileage towing. I had a 2012 F-250 Diesel, it was a great truck, recently bought a couple 2500 HD Duramax/Allison trucks and they are incredible tow rigs, that engine/transmission combination is very hard to beat and they are proven to last a very long time with proper maintenance. The other thing to look at is resale value between Dodge and GM/Chevrolet, blue book out two trucks, same year, mileage, equipment, etc. and see how they compare. I believe the GM/Chevrolet's tend to have a higher resale value. Last thing to consider is call around to some local diesel shops and ask their opinion between Dodge & GM/Chevrolet, they are the ones working on these types of trucks and can give you first hand knowledge of which trucks are in the shop more often for repairs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure you are dead-set on a full-sized truck, but I traded a 2015 Tundra TRD Pro for a 2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 with the "Baby Duramax", and the MPG is nothing short of astounding for a 4x4 truck.

I average 28-32 mpg day to day average, have exceeded 40 MPG on the highway unloaded. Pulling my previous boat, a 25.5-foot Sea Ray with big-block, I averaged 6.5-mpg with my Tundra. Towing the same boat, I get near 20 MPG in the Canyon. (Estimated weight 6500.) Yes, the Canyon gets considerably better MPG towing a big boat than the Tundra got, on the highway, unloaded, lol. Crazy.

As a daily driver it rocks too, so much easier to park, and drives like a sports car compared to the Tundra.

Negatives are the damn thing was expensive, they discount very little because the are still hard to find, and all-out HP is a bit less, although it's got a ton of torque. I love the damn thing to be honest. Rated at 7700 lbs towing, it could tow any Yamaha or Chaparral jet boat with ease, none weigh near what my Sea Ray did.

Is it a Cummins, or full-sized Duramax? No, and I've owned both, but as a daily and for boat towing, it's awesome. Even has a built-on brake controller, and diesel exhaust brake. Just another datapoint.
Wow, I've followed the Ecodiesel and haven't been able to make the leap yet, they of course really poo-pooed the canyon's mileage but I think that's very acceptable,
I even checked it at fuelly http://www.fuelly.com/car/gmc/canyon?engineconfig_id=229&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Have you had any mechanical or other issues with it? Do you have a forum/support page that you belong to?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am surprised at the bad gas mileage. My RAM will still get 10 to 12 on the highway pulling the boat. If I keep her around 65 I will get 21 or 22 without towing. In town around 16 to 17 typically. On the carfax, if there is a repair mentioned and it was done correctly then it is probably OK. If you can get another vehicle with only 8K miles it would pay to check it out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I love my EcoDiesel in my Ram. Do you tow anything other than the boat? Even at 7900 towing is still plenty after the boat loaded with fuel. It still handles my new boat wonderfully. I get 12mpg at 75 with the boat or higher while going 65. I bought brand new through true car, granted I went basic because I don't need navigation and like the bench seat but I walked out the door at 31 for 4x4.

The heavy duty trucks are awesome though and roomy, you won't get the awesome unloaded mileage but usually get a touch better loaded. Best of luck either way and hoping you enjoy the new truck what ever you end up with.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Ecodiesel engine is available in the Grand Cherokee.
Yep, and it is an awesome vehicle, optional self leveling air suspension etc. That vm motori diesel can tow any of our boats, I believe it's rated for something in excess of 400lbs/ft of torque, or at least approaching that. And that all comes under 2,000RPM, which is sweet.
No 3rd row seating, though.

--

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2016 Tundra gets 8 mpg when towing my boat from Orlando to Naples. One of the main reasons I bought it was the cabs big back seat area, I thought it would be plenty of space for the kids. Big mistake, the 3 of them can't sit in the same row for 5 minutes before mayhem breaks out. Wish I bought a 3 row SUV.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ah the diesel bug! I went through six of them over a span of 21 years before I finally longed for an engine that could rev again. I actually missed the hot rod sound of a V8 under load. I satisfied my diesel lust with a VW Rabbit diesel, an Isuzu P'up diesel and four Cummins Rams from '94-2005. Every male human should own at least one. Now we tow our boat and 33' travel trailer with a 5.4L powered F250. 8.5~mpg is the norm with the TT. I haven't even checked it with the boat. Compared to 2-4mpg on the water, 8.5mpg seems pretty good.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I do dream of the auto leveling 2500 Ram with a Cummins (drool)

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Told the wife if/when tundra comes out with diesel I may trade current Tundra in... we will see... love my Platinum..would have to go through lift, big tires all over again...