• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ideal placement for trailer guides?

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I realize this question is subjective and that there is no single right answer, but I am wondering if there is a "sweet spot" where most people put their trailer guides?both with regards to distance from the side of the boat and distance from the rear edge of the trailer.

edited/added:
I will also take advice on trailer pole pads. (brands, etc.)

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I got my guide covers from these guys Boat Trailer Guide Pads|Beyond The Wake and am happy with the quality, seems like they will last. As far as placement, if I remember right I gave about 1-1/2" outside the widest part of the boat on each side. Rearward, I just chose a spot where the mounting made sense on the trailer close to the back.

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I almost want to place them at the back just in front of the lights with the outside of the posts aligned with the edge of the trailer fenders. It seems like they'd work best as a backing guide in that location. But further forward they provide better assistance for boat recovery?

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1 1/2"-2" from the rub rail. Don't pay attention to distance from the trailer. The guides are for guiding the boat not the trailer :)

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cannot say enough about the Veve guides. Not sure about the prior years but 2018 Yamaha and up, get the longer bolt kit. The standard 6" will not be long enough

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I have the CE Smith Lighted Guides and took @haknslash recommendation and mine are about 2 inches out from the rub rail.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did not know if I needed guides, but I decided to make a set that I could take on and off in a matter of seconds. They work great and I only put them on to load the boat and then right back off to go home.

Attachments

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that Starboard?! Nice job!!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not know if I needed guides, but I decided to make a set that I could take on and off in a matter of seconds. They work great and I only put them on to load the boat and then right back off to go home.

That is an awesome idea right there! Easy enough to replace if something happens, and cheap to swap out the pipe if something happens. If anyone wanted to try this and they didn't want all the ugly writing on the pipe, a little bit of acetone will take the writing off in a few seconds. Seems like if you found the right diameter for lights, you could hook up something a bit more permanent too. Kudos!

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is an awesome idea right there! Easy enough to replace if something happens, and cheap to swap out the pipe if something happens. If anyone wanted to try this and they didn't want all the ugly writing on the pipe, a little bit of acetone will take the writing off in a few seconds. Seems like if you found the right diameter for lights, you could hook up something a bit more permanent too. Kudos!
Never figured how people are using lighted poles as everyone said you should unplug your trailer connection before backing into the water. I think you could add some battery powered lights real easy and never worry.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whatever type you buy or their placement on your trailer remember to have your fenders INSIDE the boat while launching or retrieving. Otherwise they will get hung up on your guides.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Whatever type you buy or their placement on your trailer remember to have your fenders INSIDE the boat while launching or retrieving. Otherwise they will get hung up on your guides.
Ditto, but also make sure your cleats are fully pushed in. The middle ones can also tear up the guide covers. MidNight Rider has the perfect placement in his photo above.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That is a great setup! I really like the removable aspect of this. My access backing into the shop is a little tight (6" clearance each side) and adding additional width is a concern. What was your total expense for the material?

Thanks for the post!

Attachments

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, and that material is PVC trim boards and PVC pipes(1-1/2" with second 1" inside for more strength) from Home Depot. I didn't keep track, but I'm sure the cost for everything was less than a 100 bucks. The time designing and building was a lot more than the bolt on types, but I enjoy the time and the finished project. If it ever fails, I can easily make a change.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks, and that material is PVC trim boards and PVC pipes(1-1/2" with second 1" inside for more strength) from Home Depot. I didn't keep track, but I'm sure the cost for everything was less than a 100 bucks. The time designing and building was a lot more than the bolt on types, but I enjoy the time and the finished project. If it ever fails, I can easily make a change.
Thanks for the update.