• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ignition switch

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll check tomorrow but I'm on vacation so if I have it I can't send it to you for another week

AA5EX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just replaced both my ignition switches due to my port switch having a cracked shaft resulting in it not staying in place after being tightened, similar issue to what @Kevin M experienced. The ignition switch functioned properly once held in place. I could not find a single switch, they come as a match pair from Yamanha, also could not find an aftermarket direct replacement, that is why I replaced both switches.

I kept the good switch and if you want it I would be willing to sell it to you for $50 delivered, it will come with 4 keys. From the parts diagrams it looks like the 2005 and the 2007 use the same switches.
Andy, would you happen to still have the single good switch. I realize this is an old post but hoping for a miracle...

Phil - 512-731-0304

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Andy, would you happen to still have the single good switch. I realize this is an old post but hoping for a miracle...

Phil - 512-731-0304
I'll look tonight when I get home, my gut says no because I got rid of a lot of stuff when I moved, fingers crossed.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Phil - 512-731-0304
I looked for the ignition switch and unfortunately didn't find it.

AA5EX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem, Andy, thanks for looking.

For any others facing the same issue, I was on the phone a few times with Yamaha and their "solution" was to use the newer part (which contains two key switches and a new wiring harness which does not fit the existing - 2007 in my case - AR 230 wiring harness), take the new switches and remove them from the assembly then splice them into the existing 5 conductor molded plug using bullet type connections. I have attached pictures below of the new switch assembly which I removed by carefully cutting the clear insulation around the bullet connectors, disconnecting the bullet connections, cutting the failed keyswitch from the 5 conductor molded connector which DOES fit into my existing wire harness. I have ordered a set of bullet connectors to crimp onto the wires of the existing 5 conductor molded plug and will then connect the new keyswitch to the old molded plug and likely put heatshrink tubing over the connections then mount it back into the bulkhead in my boat. The primary reason for using bullet connectors and not simply cutting the existing bullet connectors off and directly splicing the new keyswitch to the old plug is so that I could remove the new keyswitch at some point in the future and restore the entire assembly to the configuration in which it was received from Yamaha. I would like to find a way to leverage the notch at the 12 o'clock position of the keyswitch assembly from inside the bulkhead to keep the assembly from rotating but haven't figured out how do that yet, I may use a simple split lockwasher.20190912_091311.jpg20190910_115833.jpg20190910_115416.jpg

Last edited: