• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller Debris - Reverse Kill Manuever on 2020 AR 210 Jet Boat

LOTTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First time jet boat owner and I think I have my first case of something jammed in the impeller. I have tried the recommend approach of opening up the clean out port but can't seem to find anything. I have read in other threads it's quite possible it is so small or wedged into the impeller it is difficult to extract without taking it out of the water. My question is this, is there anything I can try while still in the water to dislodge it... I read about the revers kill maneuver where you build up speed in reverse and then kill the engine and move the thrusters forward but somebody from Cobra steering suggesting that likely won't work with the newer model Yamahas. If I have to pull it out I will obviously, just want to try in the water first if there is any recommended ideas. thanks in advance

the reverse maneuver only works for loose items like seaweed in front of the impellers or caught on the intake grate,

If you have something as small as a tooth pick stuck between the impeller blade and the wall you have to pull the pump,

Did you run over something? Any idea what it could be? I’d put my hand in the clean out port to see if you can feel anything and try to work it out. If you can’t, I’d pull the pump. Its hard to see much without doing so. It’s pretty easy to do. Lots of posts on how to. Good luck.

Haven't ran over anything...think it's a stick in jet port or impellar

First time jet boat owner and I think I have my first case of something jammed in the impeller. I have tried the recommend approach of opening up the clean out port but can't seem to find anything. I have read in other threads it's quite possible it is so small or wedged into the impeller it is difficult to extract without taking it out of the water. My question is this, is there anything I can try while still in the water to dislodge it... I read about the revers kill maneuver where you build up speed in reverse and then kill the engine and move the thrusters forward but somebody from Cobra steering suggesting that likely won't work with the newer model Yamahas. If I have to pull it out I will obviously, just want to try in the water first if there is any recommended ideas. thanks in advance

You've got a lot of things you're looking at, and you're not really following what each of those things are, and how to tackle them or why they're used. Not a bad thing, but you need to concentrate on the symptoms at hand, and the things you're mentioning ARE specific to certain symptoms.

"I think I have something jammed in the impeller" You said your take is that the recommended approach is opening up the clean out port - the impeller is WAY down in there, and you will have a difficult time, at best, finding anything via that route with the boat still in the water - and you imply that you haven't taken it out of the water.

I view the clean out ports as "seaweed removal ports" or "sucked up rope viewing holes", as everything else is likely to require you to pull the pump(s) to access or remove them.

You read the reverse maneuver, but not WHY the reverse maneuver is often done - to clear small blockages of weeds from the intake grates. If you've got something wrapped around the impeller shaft, or stuck in the impeller, the reverse maneuver isn't designed to remove something stuck in that fashion. Whatever you read from Jeff (Cobra Jet), I'm certain he was either referring to specific newer models, or was simply pointing out that it may or may not work, depending on what the issue is.

If you have something stuck in the impeller, you MAY be able to reach it through the clean out port, but you have no idea what it might be, and you may end up injuring yourself if it's something sharp, like a shell or hook, or who knows what. You will be far FAR better served pulling the boat out of the water, and pulling your pump. You will want to check the condition of your impeller, and the best way to do that is to pull the thing. It's a simple process, you'll have to remove 8-10 bolts, and other than a socket set, you'll need a pry bar to break the sealant bond on the impeller portion, and the impeller will simply slide out, at which point you can check everything out.

I think you have the newer pump design - they definitely changed the design as of 2019, so I think you've got the same setup as me. I'll post pics for you shortly, as I just had to do this recently. You get the benefit of this forum, and others doing this before you - this is easy, you got this.

Watch this video. This is a pre-2019 pump, but he shows the best way (read: least work) to deal with the reverse bucket, and everything is the exact same process you will need to do, through the first 3 minutes. You will also need a 12" or longer flat pry bar, and a large long slotted screwdriver will also help (and may be required).

When he pulls the nozzle off around the 3-minute period, yours will most likely NOT come off that easily, since you sound like you haven't ever done this. Get your long slotted screwdriver, and look for this "tab" on the lower section, highlighted in green. Should find one on either side, and these two pics show the pieces you will be prying apart/separating with your screwdriver

Pry Between Here 01.jpg

Pry Between Here 02.jpg

You should also see the first 4 bolts you have to remove in the pics above. You'll also have to remove a second set of 4 bolts, and you can see the empty bolt holes in my pic directly above. You CAN try to remove just that second set of 4 bolts, and pull everything out together, but I don't recommend it. It'll be easier to do it in 2 steps, and way less cumbersome to deal with if they are separated. After the second set of 4 bolts are removed, you will need the flat pry bar to separate the impeller and the sealant holding it in place. Supposedly, removing the ride plate makes access easy, but my ride plate was solidly held in place by the black sealant. Yours may not be, but if you see it oozing around, don't bother. I was able to do literal pull-ups on my ride plate with no bolts holding it in place, and the sealant would not separate. A short pry bar will not give you the leverage you need, and the flat pry bar will fit nicely in the opening you will have available to you. You will be able to feel the opening where you will slide the pry bar in, and once the pry bar is in that slot, it will be self-explanatory. HOLD the impeller, while leveraging the pump to loosen/break the sealant - if it's stuck, it will suddenly let go, so you want to be holding it.

Pry bar, and where to pry:

Flat Pry Bar.jpg

Pry At This Point.jpg

Grease your splines on the impeller when reinstalling. You should be able to see whatever is stuck in your impeller by this point, and whether any serious damage was done or not. Install the same way you removed everything.

Before breaking out the tools, I'd suggest getting the boat out of the water on a trailer or work rack, get a flashlight and look up in through the intake grate on the bottom to visualize the impeller. Most common thing I get is little stick or piece of something wedged between the leading edge of one of the impeller blades and the tube that it spins in, that clearance is pretty tight. Also may be able to see something looking through the back of the jet pump. If you see something, then you can be better prepared to get your hand on it through the cleanout port. A short stubby tool can give you enough force to pop things out that get wedged, my favorite is the bottle-opener blade on my Swiss Army knife.

Lots of good info above. Fastest way to inspect front of pump: Remove intake grate, light up the area and slowly video the pump cavity. FYI your intake grate may have a little sealant holding it in place if doesn't come off after removing the bolts. Pull on it and it should break free. Remove any loose sealant before re-installing, don't want anything flapping in the stream of water entering the pumping causing any more cavitation. Your choice to reseal the intake with new silicone or not. Good Luck!

Back